PDA

View Full Version : Geomorphs for Outdoor Encounters?

NNescio
2016-03-15, 06:53 AM
So, generally, geomorphs are sets of maps elements with compatible edges (usually with exits and entrances that can fit one another) that can be rearranged and rotated with respect to one another to quickly build battle or exploration maps.

Most geomorphs available online are of the indoor variety. The ones provided (for free) by Dyson's Dodecahedron are among the best in this regard, especially if you're trying to save on ink.

Unfortunately geomorphs for outdoor encounters seem to be far rarer (overworld-scale hexcrawl geomorphs can be freely found though, but not on the encounter scale). Heroic Maps does offer a few, but those are fully colored. I don't mind paying for the pdfs/images per se, but printing them will absolutely murder my wallet.

So, does anyone have any links (free or otherwise) for black and white geomorphs, for outdoor encounters? Things like forests, plains, grasslands, roads, rivers, rocky terrain, stuff like that. Preferably with a square grid, but gridless and hex grids are fine too.

Thanks in advance.

ImNotTrevor
2016-03-15, 06:56 AM
So, generally, geomorphs are sets of maps elements with compatible edges (usually with exits and entrances that can fit one another) that can be rearranged and rotated with respect to one another to quickly build battle or exploration maps.

Most geomorphs available online are of the indoor variety. The ones provided (for free) by Dyson's Dodecahedron are among the best in this regard, especially if you're trying to save on ink.

Unfortunately geomorphs for outdoor encounters seem to be far rarer (overworld-scale hexcrawl geomorphs can be freely found though, but not on the encounter scale). Heroic Maps does offer a few, but those are fully colored. I don't mind paying for the pdfs/images per se, but printing them will absolutely murder my wallet.

So, does anyone have any links (free or otherwise) for black and white geomorphs, for outdoor encounters? Things like forests, plains, grasslands, roads, rivers, rocky terrain, stuff like that. Preferably with a square grid, but gridless and hex grids are fine too.

Thanks in advance.

You could try using GIMP on the color ones to desaturate and then mess around with the contrast until you get a b&w version. It's what I would do, anyways. Look up tutorials for making Stencils with photoshop. It should be close enough to the process to figure it out with an hour of trial and error.

NNescio
2016-03-15, 07:13 AM
You could try using GIMP on the color ones to desaturate and then mess around with the contrast until you get a b&w version. It's what I would do, anyways. Look up tutorials for making Stencils with photoshop. It should be close enough to the process to figure it out with an hour of trial and error.

Those methods seem to work for photographs, or at least things with well-defined edges like solid building walls. Problem is most outdoor maps cartographers seem to have a habit of putting in a bazillion textures which look good on Maptool or some other VTT but don't respond well to the usual desaturate -> adjust threshold/fine edges/inverted dodge mask tricks. I end up with something that is very noisy and grainy (or nearly completely washed over in white, if I push the settings far enough).

Sure, I can polygon lasso/layer mask each part separately and manually dodge/level/fine edge each part, but that does seem like a bit too much effort, and I don't think it will look much better either.

Unless, well, you have a specific guide in mind? Most of the ones online are for converting photographs of people into stencils, or big objects like buildings against a prominent skyline.

ImNotTrevor
2016-03-15, 02:40 PM
Those methods seem to work for photographs, or at least things with well-defined edges like solid building walls. Problem is most outdoor maps cartographers seem to have a habit of putting in a bazillion textures which look good on Maptool or some other VTT but don't respond well to the usual desaturate -> adjust threshold/fine edges/inverted dodge mask tricks. I end up with something that is very noisy and grainy (or nearly completely washed over in white, if I push the settings far enough).

Sure, I can polygon lasso/layer mask each part separately and manually dodge/level/fine edge each part, but that does seem like a bit too much effort, and I don't think it will look much better either.

Unless, well, you have a specific guide in mind? Most of the ones online are for converting photographs of people into stencils, or big objects like buildings against a prominent skyline.

Nah. That's just how I would initially try to approach this problem. I've never actually done it becausr I've never used geomorphs. (Not printed ones, anyway)

It looks like they are fairly easy to make yourself if you pick up a grid and use some basic brushes on MS paint or preferably GIMPhotoshop.

It looks like the basic premise is to have all the tiles have four entrance/exits that are all in the same place. (Two squares from the right when that side is on top, for instance) that way you can rearrange as needed. Use some simple "fluffy" bits for trees and bushes and jiggly dark bits for rocks, and some grainy thick lines for roads, and you'd pretty much be set. The only problem is it would be time consuming, but hell you might be able to turn around and make some pocket money off of it later, since you would apparently be the first to do it. (I'm finding jack diddly squat)