PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Unify cosmologies and settings

Kimerus
2016-03-15, 07:51 AM
Hello everyone! I am new in this forum. Finally I write something after years of reading it. First of all, sorry for my poor english I am not a native speakers.

I would like to know if it's possible to melt different campaign settings in one universe. I read something about Planescape and Spelljammer, in which is possible to travel between different settings, thanks to the city of Sigil or with weird ships through flagisto. I like the idea of Sigil much more than Spelljammer's.
So, for example, a travel from Greyhawk to Forgotten Realms: Greyhawk-->transiction planes--> Sigil --> Forgotten realms. But where PCs would arrive? In the prime material plane of FR or some planes of its cosmology? That's a problem because FR's cosmology is different from Greyhawk's.
And how would work a travel in the opposite direction (FR to Greyhawk)?

Another little question: In my campaign, setting in FR, can my players use feats from Eberron, or Dragonlance?
All this in 3.5 edition.

Thank you in advance and sorry again for my english!

Yora
2016-03-15, 08:17 AM
During the time when Planescape was released, Forgotten Realms had the same planes as every other setting. They changed that in 3rd edition for unknown reasons. If you want to have a connected campaign, I would recommend going back to the original state and use the Planescape planes for all Material Plane settings.

2D8HP
2016-03-15, 08:57 AM
From 1978 to about 1982 I played a lot of D&D, and bought a lot of the supplements (I had the 1980 "World of Greyhawk" map on my wall), and since 5e came out I've bought all the books W.o.t.c. has published. This may not fit with some setting materials published in between, but I see that the new default "Forgotten Realms" setting is centered on the western edge of continent, and since the old "World of Greyhawk" is centered around the "Great Kingdom" on the eastern side of a continent it would seem easy to make them be in one world. You could even have the player characters by the "discoverers" of a "New World" Leif Eriksson" or Christopher Columbus style! I also favor making the land of the gods and the land of the dead be a place that can be physically travelled to like in earlier Greek mythology and in Fritz Leibers "Newhon" setting.

Flickerdart
2016-03-15, 09:37 AM
Various D&D materials make references to the "prime material plane" - which implies that there are other, non-primary material planes. You can treat the material plane of each setting as its own plane (which can be crossed into through Sigil) and try to reconcile the other planes with one another. Since non-material planes are infinite, you can just say that all the stuff from different settings happens in different places on the plane. For similar gods, you can say they are aspects, or simply worshiped under different names on different planes.

Kimerus
2016-03-15, 09:52 AM
Various D&D materials make references to the "prime material plane" - which implies that there are other, non-primary material planes. You can treat the material plane of each setting as its own plane (which can be crossed into through Sigil) and try to reconcile the other planes with one another. Since non-material planes are infinite, you can just say that all the stuff from different settings happens in different places on the plane. For similar gods, you can say they are aspects, or simply worshiped under different names on different planes.

So just different material planes but same cosmology. That seems to me a simple and good idea. So I can travel from Forgotten realms to Sigil and then to Eberron for example, and the same thing from Eberron to Dragonlance. Gods simply changes name, but are the same entities. Thanks.
For the feats I was thinking that I'd tend not to allow it unless the PC has spent significant time in the 'other' setting. What do you think?

Flickerdart
2016-03-15, 09:58 AM
For the feats I was thinking that I'd tend not to allow it unless the PC has spent significant time in the 'other' setting. What do you think?

There are generally two kinds of feats that makes sense to restrict to PCs.

1: Regional or 'background' feats, the kind that are taken at level 1 and represent a certain bloodline or society. For example, the Bloodline of Fire is only available to characters from Calimshan. A character from Greyhawk would not plausibly have this bloodline, unless his parents were from there or something else in the backstory.
2: Feats that are deeply rooted in a specific culture. For example, Boomerang Daze requires proficiency with Talenta of Xen'drink boomerangs, exotic weapons found only in Eberron. Again, for someone who has travelled many planes and studied other cultures' techniques, this is plausible.

Eldan
2016-03-15, 11:24 AM
So just different material planes but same cosmology. That seems to me a simple and good idea. So I can travel from Forgotten realms to Sigil and then to Eberron for example, and the same thing from Eberron to Dragonlance. Gods simply changes name, but are the same entities. Thanks.

That was how Planescape and Spelljammer handled it, yes. The Material Plane, as a whole, was a lot of empty space filled with Phlogiston, a kind of universal medium. Swimming in that were crystal spheres, and in the crystal spheres were different solar systems, each of which was a setting. So you could take a Spelljammer (a magical spaceship) and fly from Realmspace to Greyspace. Or you could planeshift to the astral plane and try to find a connection to the plane you wanted to go to. Or find a portal to Sigil and in Sigil ask a guide for a portal to whatever world you wanted to go to.