PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Is there a way to generate faerzress?

Jowgen
2016-03-15, 11:53 AM
Simple question really. What, if any, ways are there to achieve faerzress radiation generation outside of the underdark areas where it normally pervails?

I have not been able to find any spells, item or mundane objects that create/give-off faerzress. Am I missing something?

Bronk
2016-03-15, 06:37 PM
Simple question really. What, if any, ways are there to achieve faerzress radiation generation outside of the underdark areas where it normally pervails?

I have not been able to find any spells, item or mundane objects that create/give-off faerzress. Am I missing something?

Well, first, there was a novel series that followed Liriel Baenre (the Starlight and Shadows trilogy).

In it she found an artifact (Windwalker) that could contain faerzress somehow and allow her to have it's benefits away from the Underdark.

Second, there was a novel series (Lady Penitent trilogy) that Google is telling me deals with the faerzress.

It's basically saying that in the second book, Storm of the Dead, which has a copyright date that puts it towards the tail end of 3.5, the main character is told that the faerzress was created using Elven High Magic as a trap for the drow.

Third, there's a 'Faerzress-infused creature' template in Underdark, page 86... at least by fluff, it might be a like having a mobile source of faerzress.

Otherwise, I'm just finding spells and items that either take advantage of or negate the faerzress.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-15, 07:25 PM
There's always good old-fashioned mining. It is just a mineral, after all. There's also wish and miracle, of course. I see the appeal. Blocking divination and teleportation in your domain is quite useful and faerzress -might- be cheaper than the magical solutions

Darrin
2016-03-15, 07:29 PM
I was thinking "Chaos Flask" (Planar Handbook) but I can't find any reference to a material that radiates faerzress. The radiation either exists or doesn't exist, and isn't tied to any particular substance or material.

Bronk
2016-03-15, 07:31 PM
I think that's the problem. It's in rocks and things, but normally only as long as they're in the underdark. Take them out, and it dissipates.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-15, 07:57 PM
Huh. Coul've sworn it was attached to a mineral ala uranium and alpha radiation.

There's still always wish, miracle, and -maybe- limited wish.