PDA

View Full Version : Giant In The Playground As Opposed To Reddit D&D 5E

JNAProductions
2016-03-15, 12:29 PM
I've noticed something. I recently posted my Champion feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?431664-Champion-Feats) on Reddit for 5E, and they were SLAMMED. Called out as massively overpowered, and generally panned.

Whereas here, they were pretty well received and people thought they were cool and balanced. (Well, maybe not Libra. But the elemental ones, yeah.)

I wonder if the difference is this forum has a lot of 3E baggage, and has a higher tolerance for power, or whether we just have a skewed view of balance, or whether they have a skewed view of balance. I dunno.

To anyone who posts both here and there, have you noticed anything like that? Or am I just a crazy man?

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-15, 01:31 PM
I've noticed something. I recently posted my Champion feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?431664-Champion-Feats) on Reddit for 5E, and they were SLAMMED. Called out as massively overpowered, and generally panned.

Whereas here, they were pretty well received and people thought they were cool and balanced. (Well, maybe not Libra. But the elemental ones, yeah.)

I wonder if the difference is this forum has a lot of 3E baggage, and has a higher tolerance for power, or whether we just have a skewed view of balance, or whether they have a skewed view of balance. I dunno.

To anyone who posts both here and there, have you noticed anything like that? Or am I just a crazy man?

Although I didn't really like them, I just didn't react on them. Mainly because they weren't really interesting for me. I don't know if reddit is that different, but I always try to post positive or helpful responses and I just think there is another culture on Reddit then. Where just saying what you think is more common ? I don't really know

JNAProductions
2016-03-15, 01:33 PM
I'd actually rather personally have criticisms over compliments, since then I can improve. So even if you feel it's sort of mean, Ender Dwarf, post it anyway. (Well, as long as it's actually critiques. "This is bad because X, do Y to fix it" is perfect. "This sucks, you're a horrible person" is not. :P)

Alent
2016-03-15, 01:42 PM
I don't really poke into that reddit very often, but when I do I keep thinking the culture there likes their play more tame or simply has never seen a sorcerer and cleric polymorph into giant sharks, kill and eat the BBEG during his first appearance where he attempts to sneak into town via the port, then shark jump through the sky like a dolphin to end the campaign.

Champion of the Earth is kind of off balance, tho'. Typically anything granted a burrow speed burrows at 1/2 it's land speed, I thought?

JNAProductions
2016-03-15, 01:44 PM
I don't really poke into that reddit very often, but when I do I keep thinking the culture there likes their play more tame or simply has never seen a sorcerer and cleric polymorph into giant sharks, kill and eat the BBEG during his first appearance where he attempts to sneak into town via the port, then shark jump through the sky like a dolphin to end the campaign.

Champion of the Earth is kind of off balance, tho'. Typically anything granted a burrow speed burrows at 1/2 it's land speed, I thought?

Yeah. Some other people (okay, one other person that I know of) posted a pretty balanced race that was slammed as being overpowered.

For comments on my feats specifically, please post them in the actual Champion Feats thread.

TheThan
2016-03-16, 01:30 AM
I’ve come across this before with a different group of DnD geeks. Both when dealing with Magic the Gathering and with DnD.
Funnily enough they were opposites of us. In Magic they were total power gamers. But in DnD Dms didn’t tolerate power; in fact one guy actively squashed another player because he knew the other guy power gamed. So when he made sure not to; he was still unfairly targeted. I think that Dm was traumatized by his experiences.

We had different opinions on things so it made for interesting conversation

Final Hyena
2016-03-16, 09:06 AM
The culture here is different, when there are less people you have less extreme people as you are more visible compared to on the sea of Reddit. This means people are less likely to take their anger out on others or just shout endless drivel.

As for your feats they're interesting, but I don't really feel like they add much worth increasing the reading for a new player.

Twelvetrees
2016-03-18, 01:32 PM
My guess? From what I've seen of giantitp's homebrew, we tend to have material that's all over the place. Wildly varying levels of power as well as some very niche homebrew. Just glancing at the Reddit D&D homebrew, it looks like it tends to be closer to established material.

Your feats are a little different than the norm and reactions are likely based on that. On Reddit, they're seen as strange. On giantitp, eh, we've got plenty of experimental stuff already, looks fine.