PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Rimefire Witch

RavenJovan
2016-03-15, 12:29 PM
RIMEFIRE WITCH

"Untold ages ago, a powerful uldra deity of the Frostfell by the name of Hleid was defeated by her nemeses Iborighu. But Iborighu failed to destroy her existence completely, and the last fragments of her being scattered into the polar seas in a desperate attempt to escape destruction. These spheres of magical cold energy were the first rimefire eidolons, and as they struck the seas they manifested great icebergs to further hide and protect themselves from Iborighu and his minions. They waited, patient but potent, for the time to come when Hleid could be reborn and vengeance against Iborighu could be realized. The rimefire eidolons strive to achieve this goal by sending out hidden signals to touch the last few devoted worshipers of Hleid in hope of recruiting their aid.
A character who follows this mysterious call to its source, the core of a rimefire iceberg, becomes infused with great power by the rimefire eidolon. This action forms a powerful bond between the character and the eidolon; once this bond has been created, the character can draw magical power and strength from the iceberg surrounding the eidolon. This grants her several magical abilities, including the ability to channel rimefire as a ranged attack. At the same time, she slowly begins to take on aspects of the rimefire eidolon itself, transforming over time into a devoted guardian of the eidolon to which she has become bonded. These fey guardians represent the final apotheosis of the rimefire witch.
The only people who have been able to follow the rimefire call and forge a bond with the eidolon within are worshipers of Hleid, and among them, females are the most likely to hear the call of the rimefire, since the priesthood of Hleid is typically made up of women, males who answer this call are not unknown, but are much less common. Originally, uldras were the only worshipers of Hleid, but since her near destruction she has opened her arms to any who would revere her.
Rimefire witches are not bound to remain physically on the iceberg home of their bonded eidolon; in fact, many rimefire witches rarely visit their eidolon. Instead, they spend much of their time crusading against the cult of Iborighu or researching methods to restore Hleid to her proper glory."
EDIT: This is my attempt to take an old prestige class from 3.5 Frostburn and translate it into 5e

Hit Die: d6

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a rimefire witch, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Spells: Able to cast 3rd-level spells
Patron Deity: Hleid
Special: Once a character meets all the requirements listed above, she soon has a vivid dream in which she receives a call from a rimefire eidolon. Once she wakes from the dream, she knows the most direct route to the rimefire eidolon’s iceberg, as if she had cast discern location to find it. This call does not force the character to answer, but until she travels to the iceberg and accepts the bond of the rimefire eidolon that dwells within, she cannot take any levels of rimefire witch. The journey to the iceberg should be played out as a minor quest, perhaps with some encounters with Iborighu cultists bent on preventing the rise of a new rimefire witch.

CLASS FEATURES
All the following are class features of the rimefire witch prestige class.

Weapon Proficiency: Rimefire witches gain proficiency with the trident if they don’t already.

Spells per Day/Spells Known: When a new rimefire witch level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in a spell-casting class she belonged to before adding the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a rimefire witch, she must decide to which class she adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day and spells known.

Rimefire Bond: A rimefire witch becomes bonded on a deeply spiritual level with the rimefire eidolon that selected her as its guardian. Both the witch and the eidolon are constantly aware of the other’s location and condition. This is a permanent effect that cannot be dispelled or destroyed.
The bond also shores up the mind and will to live of the witch and her eidolon; both gain a advantage on all saving throws against enchantment spells and death saves while the other is alive. A rimefire bond is powerful enough that it even extends across planes.
If a rimefire witch or her eidolon is killed, this bond is broken. A surviving rimefire witch loses all of the abilities granted by this class (but not her spellcasting ability) until she restores the slain eidolon to life and returns it to its iceberg. A surviving eidolon does not lose any of its abilities, and typically waits for a year before sending out a call for a new guardian. If the slain member of the bond is brought back to life within a year of death, the rimefire bond instantly reforges itself despite any physical distance between the two. If more than a year has passed, the rimefire witch does not regain her powers but within a week she is contacted in her dreams by a new rimefire eidolon; once she travels to its iceberg and accepts its bond of rimefire she immediately regains her lost powers.

Rimefire Bolt: At 1st level, a rimefire witch’s bond with her eidolon allows her to summon and direct a bolt of rimefire, as long as she is currently in the boundaries of a frostfell. Summoning and directing a rimefire bolt is a standard action. Rimefire bolts have a range of 30 feet and attack as ranged touch attacks, dealing damage equal to 1d6 + the witch’s Charisma modifier. Half this damage is cold damage and half is fire damage. At 3rd level, a rimefire witch deals cold damage equal to 2d6 + her Charisma modifier with her rimefire bolt. At 5th level, a rimefire witch deals cold damage equal to 3d6 + her Charisma modifier with her rimefire bolt.

Ice Skate: At 2nd level, a rimefire witch gains the ability to use ice skate as a spell-like ability. She can use this ability a number of times each day equal to her Charisma modifier (minimum of once per day), at a caster level equal to her rimefire witch level.

Word of Recall: At 4th level, a rimefire witch gains the ability to use word of recall as a spell-like ability. She can use this ability once per day, and it always recalls her to the chamber of her bonded rimefire eidolon.

Rimefire Apotheosis: Upon achieving 5th level, a rimefire witch undergoes a dramatic transformation as the bond with her eidolon physically changes her into a fey creature. Her type immediately changes to fey, and she can no longer be affected by effects that target her old type (cannot be magically put to sleep, unaffected by enchantment magic, and cannot be magically restrained). She gains darkvision 60 ft., if she already has darkvision her range increases by 60 ft., and a +2 racial bonus to her Charisma score as her skin and hair become light blue or white in color. Once she undergoes rimefire apotheosis, the death of her bonded eidolon does not cause the loss of her class granted abilities.

The Rimefire Witch

Class Level
Feature
Spellcasting

Rimefire bond, Rimefire bolt (1d6)
+1 level

Ice skate
+1 level

Rimefire bolt (2d6)
+1 level

Word of recall
+1 level

Rimefire bolt (3d6), Rimefire apotheosis
+1 level

Ice Skate
Transmutation
Level: Druid 1, ranger 1
Components: V, S, C (a drop of water or shard of ice)
Casting Time: standard action
Range: Touch
Duration: 10 min. /level
You allow a creature to skate across any icy surface, either level or inclined. No Dexterity checks are required for this movement (even during combat on ice) unless the recipient attempts exceptional maneuvers, such as jumping a crevasse or gliding up a frozen waterfall, or takes damage—even then, the recipient gains advantage on such checks.

JNAProductions
2016-03-15, 12:46 PM
Looks cool.

You do get an extra powerful Cantrip at level 10 (assuming you enter immediately) but only for one level.

One thing that needs clarification is your Eidolon. How exactly does that work?

RavenJovan
2016-03-15, 12:49 PM
Looks cool.

You do get an extra powerful Cantrip at level 10 (assuming you enter immediately) but only for one level.

One thing that needs clarification is your Eidolon. How exactly does that work?

I'm working on finalizing the stats for the Rimefire Eildolon. It's to be posted shortly.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-16, 04:04 PM
You should purge the 3.5 language from this. I just find it so aggravating! 'Tis disturbing to my demeanor!

Mechanically, I'm wondering what the point is... it doesn't compete with a warlock for magic blastyness (though I do prefer the fluff of this to the warlock's pact), and the trident proficiency is frankly depressing. Getting proficiency in tridents is like getting a lump of coal for Christmas. What is 'ice skate' and why would I want it?

And not being a humanoid anymore may make you immune to Hold Person, but it also cuts you off from a couple of buffs and it leaves you vulnerable to Protection from Good and Evil and Turn the Faithless. It's not necessarily a net win.

RavenJovan
2016-03-17, 03:06 PM
You should purge the 3.5 language from this. I just find it so aggravating! 'Tis disturbing to my demeanor!

Honestly I'm a 5e baby and have no clue what you mean...please clarify...

Mechanically, I'm wondering what the point is... it doesn't compete with a warlock for magic blastyness (though I do prefer the fluff of this to the warlock's pact), and the trident proficiency is frankly depressing. Getting proficiency in tridents is like getting a lump of coal for Christmas. What is 'ice skate' and why would I want it?

That's not nice tridents are nice weapons... :smallfrown:

And not being a humanoid anymore may make you immune to Hold Person, but it also cuts you off from a couple of buffs and it leaves you vulnerable to Protection from Good and Evil and Turn the Faithless. It's not necessarily a net win.

I'll attempt to make the last bit better...

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-17, 03:45 PM
Honestly I'm a 5e baby and have no clue what you mean...please clarify...

You can ignore the bit about "aggravating" and "demeanour" - I was quoting Xzar from Baldur's Gate.

What I was referring to:

"Rebuke undead" isn't an explicit thing in 5e, as far as I'm aware.
There are no "item creation feats" (except for homebrew ones).
"Mind-affecting" and "death effect" are not defined in the 5e rules.
"Supernatural abilities" and "spell-like abilities" don't exist in 5e.
Spells that scale by caster level don't fit with the 5e style. They should be fixed at one power, possibly with scaling effects at higher slot levels.

Borderline cases:

"Divine magic" is not properly codified in the 5e rules. Everyone knows what you mean, but I feel like tying it to anything mechanical is... unprofessional. As is restricting a class to followers of a specific god. What if Hleid doesn't exist in my setting?
Abilities that only work on certain planes of existence seem kind of limiting. I don't know if that's snuck in here from 3.5, but I certainly can't think of any precedent within 5e. I'd change that, if possible.

RavenJovan
2016-03-17, 06:51 PM
I preformed the purging. The only part I don't remove is the patron deity, which is the premise of the class in the first place :smalltongue:

EDIT: Plus I know that even if a god doesn't exist in one setting doesn't mean it can't be added or readapted into something else. rimefire eidolons are the divine remnants of Hleid. Which is why I also had it to where that you have to have divine magic, example having healing magic since that's the basis of divine magic but whatever, this way I have it now at least anyone who has magic and worships Hleid can become the class.

Kellendros95
2016-03-19, 04:01 AM
Good idea, but underpowered.
Rimefire bolt is weaker than most of battle cantrips, why someone needs it? Actually, in most cases, taking the old class levels is more profitable (may be except 10+ level warlock). I think, if you make it always a full spellcaster and give it some spells, even if spellcasting of old class will not progress, it will be better.
Sorry for my english, it's not very well, I know.

RavenJovan
2016-03-22, 12:50 PM
Good idea, but underpowered.
Rimefire bolt is weaker than most of battle cantrips, why someone needs it? Actually, in most cases, taking the old class levels is more profitable (may be except 10+ level warlock). I think, if you make it always a full spellcaster and give it some spells, even if spellcasting of old class will not progress, it will be better.
Sorry for my english, it's not very well, I know.

What would you suggest then?

Kellendros95
2016-03-22, 01:29 PM
What would you suggest then?
Make a rimefire bolt a cantrip, with a progression at 5th, 11th and 17th character levels and may be add some weak secondary effect to it. Add some feature for 3rd level and full spellcasting for purpose of calculate a number of spellslots. And, may be, you should give some spell each level, or something like this to support spellcasting without overcomplicated rules.