PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Sleep spell/unconcious affect multiple attacks?

Erose
2016-03-15, 01:07 PM
Say an pc/npc falls unconscious due to the spell sleep. Can a pc/npc take multiple attacks with the benefit of advantage and auto crit? Or is it just the very contact from the first attack that would wake the pc/npc? Scorching ray within five feet? How does that function per raw in said situation?

Rhaegar
2016-03-15, 01:27 PM
Say an pc/npc falls unconscious due to the spell sleep. Can a pc/npc take multiple attacks with the benefit of advantage and auto crit? Or is it just the very contact from the first attack that would wake the pc/npc? Scorching ray within five feet? How does that function per raw in said situation?

I would rule that they would wake up after the first attack, of course the person would still be prone, and subject to all prone conditions still, giving advantage. They would also be surprised, and be limited by what they could due under surprise conditions, such as no reactions.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-15, 01:49 PM
I would rule that they would wake up after the first attack, of course the person would still be prone, and subject to all prone conditions still, giving advantage. They would also be surprised, and be limited by what they could due under surprise conditions, such as no reactions.

That was my ruling (apart from the surprise part), but I allowed my players to vote on it because it's a major ruling that could come up a lot. 'Immediate awakening' won 3-2.

coredump
2016-03-15, 01:50 PM
Few different issues.

If the target is unconscious, every attack will have advantage and auto-crit for as long as the target has that condition.

If they are unconscious due to the sleep spell, however, they stop being unconscious once they take damage.

Scorching Ray within 5' would have advantage for the first attack, then the target wakes up, then the rest of the attacks will likely be regular attacks. (Assuming prone, so advantage, ranged within 5' for disadvantage..... so regular attacks.)

There is nothing in the rules to indicate the 'recently awakened' would be Surprised.... in fact, it goes against the rules for Surprise.

It may be a reasonable DM/House rule, but it doesn't match RAW. (Similarly, I might rule that the target doesn't wake up until after all of the attacks are made. But not RAW)

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-15, 01:55 PM
Scorching Ray within 5' would have advantage for the first attack, then the target wakes up, then the rest of the attacks will likely be regular attacks. (Assuming prone, so advantage, ranged within 5' for disadvantage..... so regular attacks.)

Don't all ranged attacks against prone targets have disadvantage?

Rhaegar
2016-03-15, 02:03 PM
Don't all ranged attacks against prone targets have disadvantage?

Yes, if a target is prone, all ranged attacks have disadvantage, while all melee attacks have advantage.

GanonBoar
2016-03-15, 02:23 PM
Yes, if a target is prone, all ranged attacks have disadvantage, while all melee attacks have advantage.
Nope. Attacks within 5 feet have advantage, while attacks outside of 5 feet have disadvantage. At least, that's what it says in the SRD.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-15, 02:29 PM
Nope. Attacks within 5 feet have advantage, while attacks outside of 5 feet have disadvantage. At least, that's what it says in the SRD.

That's the text of the book, too. I suppose it makes sense - it's not hard to shoot someone with a crossbow when you're standing over them - but it's still a pain to remember.

Rhaegar
2016-03-15, 02:33 PM

I was just going from memory, so you may be right, though that's nearly the same thing. Differences coming into place when dealing with 10ft reach weapons, or if you are making a ranged attack at point blank range. Though ranged attacks done within 5ft of an enemy normally have disadvantage, so the advantage might balance out the advantage in that case, but I'd have to get out my rule book to double check things.

GanonBoar
2016-03-15, 02:46 PM
I was just going from memory, so you may be right, though that's nearly the same thing. Differences coming into place when dealing with 10ft reach weapons, or if you are making a ranged attack at point blank range. Though ranged attacks done within 5ft of an enemy normally have disadvantage, so the advantage might balance out the advantage in that case, but I'd have to get out my rule book to double check things.
If you have advantage AND disadvantage, it cancels out. Having advantage or disadvantage from more than one source has no extra effect. The way the condition works, its ALWAYS better to attack at 5 feet.

Vogonjeltz
2016-03-18, 05:11 PM

PHB 205, "Most spells that require attack rolls involve ranged attacks. Remember that you have disadvantage on a ranged attack roll if you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature that can see you and isn't incapacitated (see chapter 9)."

So the ranged attack would be normal within 5 feet, and at disadvantage further out.