PDA

View Full Version : Legacy weapons?

Belzyk
2016-03-15, 03:37 PM
So I'm trying to work on a non sucky legacy Greatsword. I'd like it to be large but usable by a medium character without penalty. It's for a warblade who specializes in stone dragon manuvers. I'm not very sure how to build it up. It seems like building a class but for a weapon.

LTwerewolf
2016-03-15, 03:39 PM
Why does it need to be large instead of medium that has a special feature where it does more damage?

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-15, 03:56 PM
So I'm trying to work on a non sucky legacy Greatsword. I'd like it to be large but usable by a medium character without penalty. It's for a warblade who specializes in stone dragon manuvers. I'm not very sure how to build it up. It seems like building a class but for a weapon.

Feycraft weapons are treated as one size smaller than they actually are but lose a bit of damage in the process; DMG 2. You might also extrapolate a value based on the sunblade in the DMG.

Belzyk
2016-03-15, 04:19 PM
Thank yaw both and I wanted it large for story sake. It being legacy I want to use it for side quests for my little group.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-03-15, 04:31 PM
Take a large +1 greatsword, add legacy item power: oversized weapon fighting, add legacy item power: discipline weapon (stone dragon), add legacy item power: Power Attack, Improved Sunder, Improved Bull Rush, add legacy item power: Shock Trooper, Combat Brute. Remove non-gp costs.

You don't have to add all those feats, add the ones that make it powerful, but not unfair to the other players.

Aleolus
2016-03-15, 05:00 PM
This is probably going to sound trite and contrived, but I think the easiest way to decide a Legacy items abilities is to decide on the items story, then let it tell you what its powers are. Who was the original weilder? What did he do with it? Has it had any other people who had a major impact on its development, and if so, how many and what did they do?

Pyromancer999
2016-03-15, 05:02 PM
Take a large +1 greatsword, add legacy item power: oversized weapon fighting, add legacy item power: discipline weapon (stone dragon), add legacy item power: Power Attack, Improved Sunder, Improved Bull Rush, add legacy item power: Shock Trooper, Combat Brute. Remove non-gp costs.

You don't have to add all those feats, add the ones that make it powerful, but not unfair to the other players.

Not bad, although since Oversized Weapon Fighting deals with TWF fighting, might be best to replace that with either Wield Oversized Weapon or its prerequisite, Monkey Grip, if the former is too powerful(although not terribly so). Also can probably take out a few of those feats, as it seems like a Warblade would already have at least Power Attack, and beyond that look at the table and menus for custom item creation in the book to see what items would help the player mechanically or at least RP-wise. For a model of how to build it up, you can start from the Stone Dragon Legacy weapon towards the back of the book. Can also just straight-up use that weapon, as it is a greatsword in and of itself, and its omen transforms it into a Large greatsword for any character larger than medium or possesses the Powerful Build ability and is Medium. What race is the warblade in question?

LTwerewolf
2016-03-15, 05:06 PM
The easiest thing to do to make it usable is simply give it the effect of strongarm bracers (MIC).

Belzyk
2016-03-15, 05:40 PM
Warblade in question is a human. And thank you all. I beleive I understand how to build this weapon.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-03-15, 06:55 PM
Not bad, although since Oversized Weapon Fighting deals with TWF fighting, might be best to replace that with either Wield Oversized Weapon or its prerequisite, Monkey Grip, if the former is too powerful(although not terribly so). Also can probably take out a few of those feats, as it seems like a Warblade would already have at least Power Attack, and beyond that look at the table and menus for custom item creation in the book to see what items would help the player mechanically or at least RP-wise. For a model of how to build it up, you can start from the Stone Dragon Legacy weapon towards the back of the book. Can also just straight-up use that weapon, as it is a greatsword in and of itself, and its omen transforms it into a Large greatsword for any character larger than medium or possesses the Powerful Build ability and is Medium. What race is the warblade in question?
I didn't mean the feat, or I'd have capitalized it. I'm usually (99% of the time) good for capitalizing my feat names. I just meant the ability to wield a weapon one size larger without penalty (as you understood from the context already, so why am I writing this?).

And yeah, a Warblade will already have those feats, if they're built for it; the idea is that you depend on your weapon for the ability to SMASH!!!, and that without it, you're reduced to regular non-power attacks. It's more of a role-playing choice than anything else; an optimizer wouldn't put key feats on a losable item, and PA is one of the few great WB bonus feats as well, so that goes double against putting it on a weapon.