View Full Version : DSP Akashic Tripper Build

Dr_Dinosaur
2016-03-15, 06:34 PM
If I wanted to make a character using DSP's Akashic Magic that focused on tripping, what would be the best build (class, feats, etc) at level 10? I'm thinking 9 levels of Vizier for the Light Whip ring bind, and maybe a level of Warder for the increased threat radius? Is tripping even worth attempting at 10th?

Ssalarn
2016-03-15, 07:21 PM
If I wanted to make a character using DSP's Akashic Magic that focused on tripping, what would be the best build (class, feats, etc) at level 10? I'm thinking 9 levels of Vizier for the Light Whip ring bind, and maybe a level of Warder for the increased threat radius? Is tripping even worth attempting at 10th?

It depends on the campaign, really. The biggest concerns with a trip build at that level are going to be the size of enemies you are running into, and the fact that flight is a pretty commonly expected ability.

Is this for a new campaign, or a one off? What do you know about the adventure? Are akashic races on the table?

PsyBomb
2016-03-15, 07:37 PM

As long as what you're facing is ground-bound and has legs, pure Vizier is probably your best bet. Specifically a Seer Vizier, since you can broadcast teamwork feats. Hobgoblin (or half-Hobgoblin if Bloodforge is on the table) with high Dex and Agile Maneuvers will get you off to a good start, run a Dark Lord's Ring of Essence-Binding in your other ring if your party isn't being cooperative.

Other than that, Ssalarn's questions are critical. Make sure that tripping will be relevant, since it well and truly sucks to sink tons of character resources into something useless.

Shameless plug for my guide as well, link in sig.

Dr_Dinosaur
2016-03-15, 08:30 PM
It depends on the campaign, really. The biggest concerns with a trip build at that level are going to be the size of enemies you are running into, and the fact that flight is a pretty commonly expected ability.

Is this for a new campaign, or a one off? What do you know about the adventure? Are akashic races on the table?

There will probably be some flying enemies but most will probably be humanoid and thus grounded without magic. Likewise, I know I'll have to deal with some larger creatures but not all the time and the Alchemist and Necromancer can probably handle those.
It's a campaign, actually starting around 6-8, but I guessed 10 would be a good spot for everything to fully come together. Until then I have other veils! Akashic races are not on the table, unfortunately.

Ssalarn
2016-03-16, 12:04 AM
There will probably be some flying enemies but most will probably be humanoid and thus grounded without magic. Likewise, I know I'll have to deal with some larger creatures but not all the time and the Alchemist and Necromancer can probably handle those.
It's a campaign, actually starting around 6-8, but I guessed 10 would be a good spot for everything to fully come together. Until then I have other veils! Akashic races are not on the table, unfortunately.

With Akashic races off the table, Psybomb's suggestion of hobgoblin is a great runner up. If not, just ensure you pick a race that isn't small and doesn't have an Int penalty.

I'd consider using the Tauric Brace veil (most recent update available in the Supplemental playtest) to boost the maximum size creature you can trip with your Light Whip. That'll make you more flexible in meeting unexpected challenges. Alternatively, keep it on a notecard for use with your veilshifting ability so you can call on it when needed.

I'd agree with Psybomb that straight Vizier is probably the best way to go, since you'll benefit more from the extra essence and other class specific goodies than you will from the Warder dip (though if you're set on a dip, Warder is probably the most complimentary class you could pick for the desired build). As he said, Seer + Dark Lord's Ring of Essence Binding is a solid pick for one of your secondary veils, and Tandem Trip or Coordinated Maneuvers would be great Teamwork feats to share with your undead companion.