PDA

View Full Version : Is Warlock/Monk/Bard magic arcane or divine?

soldersbushwack
2016-03-15, 10:02 PM
Regardless of previous editions or seemingly logical answers what do the rules actually say on this? Most classes are fairly clear but the Warlock/Monk/Bard entries are not.

Warlock:

Your arcane research and the magic bestowed on you by your patron have
given you facility with spells.

Bard:

You have learned to untangle and reshape the fabric of reality in
harmony with your wishes and music. Your spells are part of your vast
repertoire, magic that you can tune to different situations.

Monk:

Starting at 2nd level, your training allows you to harness the mystic
energy of ki.

The entry on Warlocks is fairly specific that your research is arcane but it does not specify what your patron's magic is. I could imagine some Archfey to be extremely powerful druids, some Devils to be clerics of Amodeus and some Great Old Ones (such as Cthulu) to be clerics so I see no reason for your patron's magic to be necessarily arcane.

And for Bards and Monks their magic is nowhere specified to be arcane.

Zaq
2016-03-15, 10:40 PM
I'm 90% certain that the DMG states the arcane classes (Bard, Sorc, Wiz, Warlock) to be arcane and the divine classes (Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger) to be divine, but I don't have the page number in front of me, and there's technically no difference anymore. I don't recall if it specified a label for Monk spells, and I don't recall if it said anything about Eldritch Knights or Arcane Tricksters (presumably arcane, but I don't remember what the actual book says—and again, technically there's no difference).

RickAllison
2016-03-15, 10:46 PM
I'm 90% certain that the DMG states the arcane classes (Bard, Sorc, Wiz, Warlock) to be arcane and the divine classes (Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger) to be divine, but I don't have the page number in front of me, and there's technically no difference anymore. I don't recall if it specified a label for Monk spells, and I don't recall if it said anything about Eldritch Knights or Arcane Tricksters (presumably arcane, but I don't remember what the actual book says—and again, technically there's no difference).

AT and EK go off the wizard list, so they are arcane. Monks are separate from magic because theirs is created through manipulation of the energy of life, ki. Thing of it as more along the lines of psionics (but separate from those as well!).

SharkForce
2016-03-15, 11:07 PM
AL considers bards and warlocks to be arcane spellcasters (by extension, forgotten realms semi-canon also does, or at least their canon for mulmaster).

from that same source, monks are not arcane. no word on whether they're divine.

personally, as far as monks are concerned, i wouldn't count them as either arcane or divine. their "magic" is derived from contemplation and a mastery of self. with arcane magic, you're generally talking about mastering external forces (whether by study, force of will, or granted/inherited magic), and with divine magic you're talking about calling on the power of another being or force. monks aren't really either of those things.

Arkhios
2016-03-16, 03:13 AM
As above, rules already state that warlock and bard spells are arcane.

Monk rules state it pretty clearly on the class description, that Ki is its own magic type. It's not black and white - only arcane or divine - when it comes to magic. As mentioned, Ki draws its power from life force, or "inner magic", which is very close to Psionics, but still not the same thing.

Millstone85
2016-03-16, 08:00 AM
I'm 90% certain that the DMG states the arcane classes (Bard, Sorc, Wiz, Warlock) to be arcane and the divine classes (Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger) to be divine, but I don't have the page number in front of me, and there's technically no difference anymore. I don't recall if it specified a label for Monk spells, and I don't recall if it said anything about Eldritch Knights or Arcane Tricksters (presumably arcane, but I don't remember what the actual book says—and again, technically there's no difference).I don't know about the DMG, but arcane and divine classes are listed on page 205 of the PHB.

greenstone
2016-03-16, 08:38 PM
The Primeval Thule setting has five sources of magic.

Animism, also known as spirit magic or primal magic. Practiced by barbarians, druids and rangers.
Invocation, also known as divine magic. Practiced by clerics.
Arcana, the logical study of magic and the occult. Practiced by wizards, eldritch knights, arcane tricksters, and bards (though the latter three are all extremely uncommon).
Sorcery, the art of changing yourself to something that is innately magical. Practiced by sorcerers.
Theurgy, also known as pact magic. Practiced by warlocks.

The setting doesn't include paladins and monks. I would rule that paladins use invocation. I'm not sure about monks. I think animism is the best fit but I could also see sorcery or maybe theurgy fitting the class.

Tanarii
2016-03-16, 08:41 PM
I don't know about the DMG, but arcane and divine classes are listed on page 205 of the PHB.

Or on p. 84 of the basic rules pdf (I'm looking at v3.4). It's in the Weave of Magic sidebar.

CantigThimble
2016-03-16, 08:43 PM
Out of curiosity does this actually make any difference ruleswise? I can't recall seeing any effects that differentiate between Arcane and Divine magic.

RickAllison
2016-03-16, 09:22 PM
Out of curiosity does this actually make any difference ruleswise? I can't recall seeing any effects that differentiate between Arcane and Divine magic.

Not really! Most of what it does matter for (like magic items) it instead explicitly notes the classes. Circumvents the whole issue, really.

CantigThimble
2016-03-16, 09:29 PM
Not really! Most of what it does matter for (like magic items) it instead explicitly notes the classes. Circumvents the whole issue, really.

I guess the only issue would be if they released a class that SHOULD be able to use rid of the pact keeper but can't because the dmg came out first.

RickAllison
2016-03-16, 09:31 PM
I guess the only issue would be if they released a class that SHOULD be able to use rid of the pact keeper but can't because the dmg came out first.

Errata, then?