PDA

View Full Version : What Class/Class combo do you find the most fun?

AmbientRaven
2016-03-16, 05:01 AM
Hi Folks!

After my game today, and a discussion on what classes we enjoy; I thought I would ask the forum (not most OP)

For myself, I love Bard dipped warlock. The charismatic loveable travelling musician with a dark twist. I find the buff/de-buff style of play of the bard is fun and the bit of warlock gives some reliable damage when your concentration is used up. For RP the fun of a good character influenced by evil great fun for me to play.

So, what is your favourite class, and why?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-16, 05:16 AM
Arcane trickster all the way. I love Mage Hand Legerdemain, all the sneak attack dice, and if you ever get into trouble, you can just be like "nope, Suggestion" or "have a Silent Image."

Gtdead
2016-03-16, 05:33 AM
My favorite class is the Cleric. I like to play characters with strong convictions and a destiny, being a chess piece in the game of the gods. I also like mechanically well rounded characters that favor being cautious and have multiple ways to affect their surroundings. I feel at home when I play lawful neutral characters and I think that this alignment fits best to the class.

Lines
2016-03-16, 05:34 AM
Mystic/barbarian. Until the official release comes and inevitably says you can't focus on powers while raging, I'm riding the angry yet contemplative train all the way to the station.

RickAllison
2016-03-16, 05:36 AM
Monk X/Druid (Moon) 2. Three words: Kung-Fu Panda (does a hyphenated word still count as two, or as a complex word?).

For extra fun, Rogue or Bard 6/Druid 8/Monk 6. Octo-ninja; zip around with Shadow-port, grapple enemies at 10 ft reach, then 'port above everyone (if at night) and let go when you have several in your eight tentacles. Practical? Far from it. Awesome? So much so!

PeteNutButter
2016-03-16, 05:45 AM
Just a good ol' Lawful Stupid Devotion Paladin. Gotta RP it like you used to do for maximum fun. It's fun to be a real good guy, especially if you're basically an ******* irl.

MrStabby
2016-03-16, 07:42 AM
Playing a rogue cleric/rogue bard as an inquisitor is fun for me.

RP wise you have convictions an a wide variety of potential backgrounds to play on.

Mechanically I like it for its complexity. Cunning action lets you have some really different turns and the mobility it can bring is superb. Cleric brings a bit of casting for both in combat and out of combat utility. Unlike half casters you don't need so many levels to still be able to have enough spells to last you the day. Expertise is perfect for showcasing the character you want to RP. Sneak attack makes where you stand in combat that little bit more important, which makes fights a bit more interesting.

Corran
2016-03-16, 04:31 PM
I would say that most of all I enjoy playing paladins. Whether it is a classic lawful stupid one (oh, the good old days), or a more unconventional type, that depends on my mood and ofc on the table as well. Though I would say that I always try and think of a paladin concept that strays a bit from the norm, or with a twist or two, as I've found that such characters are more enjoyable and more memorable.

I also enjoy any kind of ''assassin with magic''-type of character, for which presumably I have put some time theory crafting beforehand (seeing my expectations being disproved in actual game is rather fun - so is going all the way back to fix things in the build).

Rogues are fun for me too, as long as the theme I play is anything but the classic thief (I mean the theme, NOT the actual subclass). So anything from a spy, scout, fighter, bodyguard, etc is welcome.

Arcane casters are always fun to anyone who have given them at least one serious try, and I am no exception. I like sorcerers the most, cause I tend to prefer the whole inhereted gift as opposed to dedicated study, as it makes for aa very special individual. Though roleplaying the opposite side of the coin (aka a wizard), that frawns upon sorcerers and who views them as babies holding loaded guns is fun too. Plus wizard is op and has tons of versatility and allows room for strategy, so that adds to the fun. For that last reason, I like clerics too, though I will only play one if the campaign offers some depth regarding religious structures.

DivisibleByZero
2016-03-17, 01:06 PM
My favorite 5e character so far has been a female Half-elf named Jenniah.
Criminal background Pally 2 / Favored Soul of Tymora (Sorcerer) with the Trickery Domain.
As an emissary of the Goddess of Luck, she was a Sorcerer who acted like a Rogue (but with Divine Smite instead of Sneak Attack), that was actually a priest (Pally/FvS).

JumboWheat01
2016-03-17, 01:17 PM
I've only played single class characters so far, but man, my little rogue is really proving to be the most enjoyable so far. He's lawful good, uses his skills to catch thieves, and almost exclusively uses a crossbow.

In fact, he hasn't gotten into too much health trouble so far, maybe because he's a ranged character. Will have to try that out on another one...

DivisibleByZero
2016-03-17, 01:23 PM
My second favorite character so far has been an Eladrin Arcane Trickster with a 2 level Bladesinger Wizard dip, who uses a whip with Greenflame Blade and Booming Blade via Spell Sniper.

Oramac
2016-03-17, 01:28 PM
I'm playing two right now that are pretty much a tossup for me as far as favorites go:

1) Chaotic Neutral Outlander Vengeance Paladin. His whole family was murdered when he was young, so his modus operandi is "if it's evil, it dies", with the small caveat that he follows the "greater evil" tenet pretty closely. If you're an evil minion he'll let you live if you give up your boss.

2) True Neutral Sailor Tempest Cleric 2 / Storm Sorc 18: He's basically the Thunder and Lightning guy of the group who just wants to see more of the world and have fun doing it. And he drinks heavily because, you know, sailor.

Southpaw
2016-03-18, 04:29 PM
Noble Half Elf Sorc (Favored Soul ) 18/Warlock Undying Light 2. Favored of Tymora.
He lost his estates away gambling but to him this was great fortune because he not only wanted to adventure and explore the world but he also lost the estates to another noble who is far better at finances than himself. He figures he can just run off and adventure for now and when he retires, he will just return and win his estates back. They will probably be far more valuable at that time too because of the other nobles pension for good business decisions and estate planning. I have not decided if the character will be overly lucky or just REALLY good at being optimistic to the point were he thinks he wins at everything. He might even end up being favored by Beshaba or Cyric and the gods are just playing a joke on him, but he is too dumb to see it.

Zman
2016-03-18, 04:58 PM
Without a doubt Fighter/Sorcerer. Who doesn't like to be a pretty boy that wears nice cloths and wades into battle with the brutes. Use Melee Cantrips and Metamagics like twinning Booming Blade, quicken Blur or Haste for fun, throw out some nasty spells. Who doesn't like walking around with an 18AC, 23AC with Shield likely at Disadvantage or +2 with Haste. Haste, Move 60', Booming Blade, quicken booming blade, withdraw 60', make them take the extra damage or sit still. Literally so many fun options including Action Surging.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-03-18, 05:26 PM
Hi Folks!

After my game today, and a discussion on what classes we enjoy; I thought I would ask the forum (not most OP)

For myself, I love Bard dipped warlock. The charismatic loveable travelling musician with a dark twist. I find the buff/de-buff style of play of the bard is fun and the bit of warlock gives some reliable damage when your concentration is used up. For RP the fun of a good character influenced by evil great fun for me to play.

So, what is your favourite class, and why?
That sounds amazing. Take an at-will illusion cantrips, maybe a third level for a bitchin' familiar...

ZX6Rob
2016-03-18, 05:39 PM
My top two are Champion Fighter and Deepstalker Ranger.

No wait come back!

I'm serious! I love the Champ! Its abilities are pretty much all passive, save for Action Surge and the Second Wind, so I don't really have to track many resources at all outside of hit points and hit dice. Without active abilities to fall back on, I find myself re-reading all of the in-combat actions in the PHB, as well as the optional ones in the DMG, and it's gotten me to really think about how I can contribute and play in a battle outside of pre-defined mechanics. Now, I find that I appreciate the elegance and simplicity of a subclass that lets me play as a Big Stupid Fighter™ while remaining effective and powerful in combat. Yep, the EK and BM are mathematically superior in a strict, by-the-numbers sense, but in practice, I don't really notice the difference, and I like working within the constraints of what the Champ offers me.

On the other hand, I have always loved Rangers, and they've long been my favorite class. I like that the ranger can track, fight, survive in the wild, sneak around and scout, and use a little magic when it's called for. It's the versatility and breadth of the class that has always attracted me to it, throughout many editions, and 5e isn't really any different. The Deepstalker (or the Hunter, but I find I prefer the former) is, for me, the best implementation of the Ranger so far, and with clever spell choices and careful gameplay, I find I can almost always contribute something to any situation.

Honestly, it's hard for me to choose, because if I'm playing D&D, no matter the class, then I'm at least having a pretty okay time, and 5th has the best bunch of classes of any edition I've played so far.

Belac93
2016-03-18, 07:09 PM
Possibly just because of the fact that he is a CE bird-man, but I've found Barbarian-rogue to be fun. Get expertise in athletics, and you are a master grappler.

Battlemaster fighter and Monk is surprisingly fun.

Renvir
2016-03-18, 07:23 PM
The class I enjoyed most was a Tiefling Knowledge Cleric with the Spy background.

"Nobody expects the Infernal Inquisition!"

JumboWheat01
2016-03-18, 07:51 PM
The class I enjoyed most was a Tiefling Knowledge Cleric with the Spy background.

"Nobody expects the Infernal Inquisition!"

Does it also involve a high-stepping musical number with nuns?

Ashrym
2016-03-18, 08:19 PM
Lore bard for the customizability and overall versatility. I also have fun with rogues and rangers.

Renvir
2016-03-19, 01:13 PM
Does it also involve a high-stepping musical number with nuns?

Of course! I had to use the Skilled Feat to grab Performance and brushed up on hireling rules but it was worth it.

GraakosGraakos
2016-03-19, 07:19 PM
My favorite thus far is Jasnah, the Mastermind Rogue/Conjuration Wizard. Noble Background, expertise in Investigation and Perception. It has some stat synergy (Int/Dex/Con) and is generally just awesome RP wise to be a sweet investigator/researcher type.

Sir Pippin Boyd
2016-03-19, 07:31 PM
I'm a fan of the Battlemaster 5/Assassin X for a high powered ambush opener. Fighter's Extra Attack and Action Surge features permit you to crit 4 times in the first turn*. The first crit will be a sneak attack, and all are amplified with damage-boosting maneuvers from Battlemaster that are, like sneak attack and weapon damage, multiplied for the crit. If your DM permits the psionics playtest, you can also go 2 levels into Mystic with the psionic weapon discipline to snag a couple more d10's to add to the pile, as well as Celerity to make sure you always go first and are never surprised.

For an added bonus, you can take the feats Sharpshooter and Arcane Initiate to snag a massive effective longbow range and a Familiar to help spot targets. Down side is that the sustained damage once combat has started falls off significantly, but on the up side you'll usually have either popped off a couple of goons to thin the herd or downright crippled a boss.

Outside of combat, you're a highly mobile scout that is really good at a couple of things (Expertise is, in my opinion, one of the most powerful features in the game) that is relatively secure when operating alone some distance away from the party from time to time if needs be.

*provided you can get surprise, my favorite builds are usually ones that require some out of combat setup to really shine

Kellendros95
2016-03-20, 08:29 AM
Just thinking about Barbarian/Bard. First he kills enemies and then he sing a song about it.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-20, 08:48 AM
Just thinking about Barbarian/Bard. First he kills enemies and then he sing a song about it.

So he's a Nord then?

Kellendros95
2016-03-20, 09:10 AM
So he's a Nord then?
Maybe. Maybe there are two of them, nords and twins, who fight back to back and give inspiration to each other.

Limited Gish
2016-03-20, 10:11 PM
Shadow Monk 6/Thief 3 is my current character and I love it so much. There's just so much you can do with shadow hop it's crazy. Master thief in a low magic campaign.

My other favorite combo is Storm Sorc 6/Tempest Cleric X for a very complicated, but very rewarding BFC focused build.

RaynorReynolds
2016-03-21, 06:56 AM
I'm a fan of the Battlemaster 5/Assassin X for a high powered ambush opener. Fighter's Extra Attack and Action Surge features permit you to crit 4 times in the first turn*. The first crit will be a sneak attack, and all are amplified with damage-boosting maneuvers from Battlemaster that are, like sneak attack and weapon damage, multiplied for the crit. If your DM permits the psionics playtest, you can also go 2 levels into Mystic with the psionic weapon discipline to snag a couple more d10's to add to the pile, as well as Celerity to make sure you always go first and are never surprised.

For an added bonus, you can take the feats Sharpshooter and Arcane Initiate to snag a massive effective longbow range and a Familiar to help spot targets. Down side is that the sustained damage once combat has started falls off significantly, but on the up side you'll usually have either popped off a couple of goons to thin the herd or downright crippled a boss.

Outside of combat, you're a highly mobile scout that is really good at a couple of things (Expertise is, in my opinion, one of the most powerful features in the game) that is relatively secure when operating alone some distance away from the party from time to time if needs be.

*provided you can get surprise, my favorite builds are usually ones that require some out of combat setup to really shine

4 crits? I dont think assassinate works like that...

wunderkid
2016-03-21, 07:32 AM
Assassinate works exactly like that.

Any hit you score against a creature that is surprised is a critical hit.

DivisibleByZero
2016-03-21, 09:17 AM
Assassinate works exactly like that.

Any hit you score against a creature that is surprised is a critical hit.

DM purview, but the intention is that once your first attack hits, the enemy is no longer surprised by the following attacks that turn.

Scratch my last.
A search finds Crawford stating that a creature is surprised until the end of his first turn (during which he cannot act).

DaKiwiMonsta
2016-03-21, 10:04 AM
Although I enjoy playing multiple characters with varying classes, I always find myself coming back to some variant of Bard/Warlock/Monk...

wunderkid
2016-03-21, 11:44 AM
Bard/rogue make the chassis of most my characters.

I enjoy combat a lot. And neither the bard or rogue are slouches in combat. But out of combat the double bonus on skills keeps me enjoying myself a lot.

For in combat however I'm really enjoying my pala2/sorc3 with mobility right now. A hold person into a quickened booming blade with smite then stepping back and flipping them the bird is always fun lol

SmokingSkull
2016-03-21, 07:57 PM
Fighter/Barbarian. It's a pretty cliche combo but it's my favorite all the same. I'm going Champion/Totem personally for more rp reasons but the power is there, I love it!

JakOfAllTirades
2016-03-22, 02:20 PM
Fey pact BladeLock 12th/Swashbuckler 3rd (or higher)

Wacky fun times.