PDA

View Full Version : So I wanna play DND...

Wojiz
2007-06-19, 10:10 PM
I know a lot about the mechanics of DND, mostly from playing games like Planescape: Torment, Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR and even reading up on it on Wikipedia and the like. Thing is, I've never actually played DND, and playing it tabletop isn't really an option for me, and I'd rather play it online.

Problem is, it gets so confusing sometimes that I run away in fear. I don't know how exactly I'd fill out a character sheet, for one thing, and I have no idea what character I'd want to play and still be effective.

What exactly do I need to know to be able to play a DND campaign online? I know about Armor Class, Saving Throws and all that, but I know pretty much nothing else at all, just enough to get me by in the computer versions of the game.

Any help at all would be appreciated, or direction of a better forum to place this thread in.

Raltar
2007-06-19, 10:14 PM
d20srd.org is probably the best place to go. It has all of the basics. You can pick it up from there. Course, I'm sure there are many people here that will answer specific questions if you have them.

Ulzgoroth
2007-06-19, 10:17 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/ contains much of the PHB/DMG/MM information, sadly stripped of most of the flavor text and such.

You can learn the mechanical ropes to play any class from that, probably, but making an archer or melee type might be the simplest starting point. Build something you'd want to play is the most important part...

And ninja'ed.

Devils_Advocate
2007-06-20, 05:11 AM
I once read an excellent step-by-step explanation of how to fill in a character sheet. Good thing I bookmarked it! Here ya go. (http://boards1.wizards.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-565322) Scroll down to that biiiiiig post in the middle for the important part. I think it got a few minor things wrong (e.g. you get a starting set of clothes for free, and its weight doesn't contribute to encumberance when you wear it), but it's pretty darned good. Heck, I enjoyed reading it despite the fact that it was mostly telling me things I already knew. So either the author is a really good writer or I'm just pathetically lame. Possibly both! :smalltongue:

Callix
2007-06-20, 05:27 AM
Be careful. A lot of things you know from KOTOR or NWN won't apply, and the playstyle is totally different. Make sure you know the system and rules thereof, and don't assume that things of the same name will have the same effect. My advice? Make sure you remember to have fun.

Hazkali
2007-06-20, 05:36 AM
The d20SRD is a good place to start, as mentioned. If you're looking to pick up one of the books, the Player's Handbook is the best place to start. It contains the basic rules, and a group can never have enough players handbooks!

Storm Bringer
2007-06-20, 06:02 AM
I think the details given will teach you everything you need to know (for now) about the rules. I'd recommend sitting down with some dice (or a dice result generator program if you lack things like D8,D10s D20s and the rest.) and have a go at making a bog standard 1st level human fighter. once you've doen that, then yoy can browse the play by post sections of this forum and try and get a game in that (check that froum for a better idea of how). As long as you make clear you're new to the game, you should be able to take the ball and run with it form thier, and learn about the whole messy businees of party dynamics..

martyboy74
2007-06-20, 06:30 AM
Be careful. A lot of things you know from KOTOR or NWN won't apply, and the playstyle is totally different. Make sure you know the system and rules thereof, and don't assume that things of the same name will have the same effect. My advice? Make sure you remember to have fun.

Reminds of the story of the new player who thought Entangle was the same in D&D as it was in NWN or WoW. He centered it on the party. :smallamused:

Inyssius Tor
2007-06-20, 10:23 AM
If you can spare twenty to thirty dollars, the Player's Handbook is worth it.
The information in the D20 SRD is intentionally jumbled, described in unintuitive ways, and hidden in almost random sections. Further, some parts have been quietly left out, which can lead to long and fruitless searching.
"d20srd.org" is a very handy reference, though, especially when you're typing an in-depth forum post and don't want to balance three open books on your lap.