PDA

View Full Version : More Warforged Help.

Belzyk
2016-03-16, 01:08 PM
So im working on a warforged character and working out all the kinks im considering a psion in this game. Any tips on a warforged psion (Templetes ext.) And How amazing are Elans?

Nohwl
2016-03-16, 01:23 PM
I like warforged with the dragonborn template.

ComaVision
2016-03-16, 01:24 PM
I think the Warforged Scout is better for a Psion than the base Warforged. I played a Warforged Scout Erudite for a while and enjoyed it.

Red Fel
2016-03-16, 01:31 PM
Warforged Psion Shaper (Metacreativity discipline). Two reasons.

First, a Shaper gets Psionic Repair Damage, which is a good source of full healing for Warforged.

Second, a Shaper gets various Creation powers. Use them to make poisons, to which you are immune. Contact poisons, which you can cover your fists with, and inhaled poisons, which you can dispense as clouds. Become as death.

You could consider taking the Psiforged Body feat, if you want, for an extra PP reservoir. Pump any unused points at the end of the day into your cognizance crystal, draw them out as needed. It's an option, not a necessary one.

Or, yeah, go with Dragonborn. You get to keep your Living Construct stats, which is great. Take the Wings aspect and fly, which is sick.

Troacctid
2016-03-16, 06:07 PM
Warforged is a good race for a Psion if you're starting at low levels because you can take Adamantine Body and make yourself super tanky. The AC bonus drops off in value at higher levels, though, because it starts competing with augmented Inertial Armor and enemies are doing more damage to make the DR less useful.

Elan is also good for a Psion because it essentially gives you bonus powers known. The damage prevention and save bonuses are actually quite strong if you have a large power point reserve. Plus, if you have a feat to spare, Elan Resilience gives you some ridiculous survivability.

Gnorman
2016-03-16, 08:16 PM
Follow Red Fel and Troacctid's advice on warforged; I have nothing to add to it other than, yes, a warforged shaper is awesome.

Elans are less impressive in many respects, lacking the hardiness of the warforged. Their natural psionic abilities, aberration type, & functional immortality do open up some interesting options, but all things being considered, I'd prefer Mr. Roboto.

Troacctid
2016-03-16, 08:29 PM
Don't underestimate the hardiness of an Elan. They can basically use Vigor as an immediate action, while augmenting it as much as they want regardless of ML.

deathbymanga
2016-03-16, 08:55 PM
i made an warforged seer. he used the clairvoyance powers in addition to knowledge devotion to score rediculously good attack rolls with his slam attacks.

Gnorman
2016-03-16, 10:00 PM
Don't underestimate the hardiness of an Elan. They can basically use Vigor as an immediate action, while augmenting it as much as they want regardless of ML.

While the immediate action portion is certainly nice, the Elan's damage mitigation is very expensive to use extensively, compared to Vigor. The damage reduction from adamantine body, and the warforged's Constitution bonus and immunities, make it the superior choice in my mind.

Troacctid
2016-03-16, 10:42 PM
While the immediate action portion is certainly nice, the Elan's damage mitigation is very expensive to use extensively, compared to Vigor.

With the feat, it's 4 damage prevented per PP, compared to 5 per PP with Vigor.

SangoProduction
2016-03-17, 06:20 AM
With the feat, it's 4 damage prevented per PP, compared to 5 per PP with Vigor.

You give up a feat for a slightly lesser effect, but as an immediate action, but also effectively a power know...though those are much more plentiful than feats.

zylodrizzt
2016-03-17, 07:55 AM
At my table and possibly many others dreamscarred press is allowed for psionic options. Look up relevant edition purchase book and have fun.

Belzyk
2016-03-17, 11:26 PM
Ok so I've made up my mind to play a Shaper. I'm still torn on the race. The group I'm playing in I think will see all the super junk that warforged have as to much. They are all kinda new to dnd so me and my friend are the two they will be lookin to for how to play. So my question is. Would a adamantine warforged Shaper be "to much" per say for a new group to dnd. My character is the one that's there incase **** hits the fan. I also want to introduce psionics to them because my ruling on it is is psionics is a school of magic just like divine and arcane. Also my divine and arcane casters use power points instead of perdays.

Necroticplague
2016-03-18, 04:08 AM
Ok so I've made up my mind to play a Shaper. I'm still torn on the race. The group I'm playing in I think will see all the super junk that warforged have as to much. They are all kinda new to dnd so me and my friend are the two they will be lookin to for how to play. So my question is. Would a adamantine warforged Shaper be "to much" per say for a new group to dnd. My character is the one that's there incase **** hits the fan. I also want to introduce psionics to them because my ruling on it is is psionics is a school of magic just like divine and arcane. Also my divine and arcane casters use power points instead of perdays.

What do you mean "adamantine warforged"? Like, a warforged with the Adamantine Body feat? When you boil it down, it's not much more powerful than just wearing a suit of adamantine full-plate. The DR is handy, but forgetable past anything but the lowest of levels, and the armor bonus is less than armor other races can wear.

SangoProduction
2016-03-18, 09:08 AM
Just pick up whatever you want to *play* as. If you want a mechanically better race, just go human. Choosing anything else tends to just be an RP choice.