PDA

View Full Version : TV Shows to watch on Netflix Instant Viewing (Doesn't Require a DVD from Netflix)

russdm
2016-03-16, 01:52 PM
I was wondering if anybody knew of any good shows to watch on Netflex Instant Viewing Or that you could just watch without needing a DVD to be mailed to you. I have finished several shows and was trying to come up with ones to add on and I am looking for some mainly Scifi, Fantasy, and others that fall outside the TV-MA/NR range.

I have watched:

Sherlock, Lost Girl, Better off Ted, Highlander, Top Gear, Pysch, White Collar, Burn Notice, Leverage, Numb3rs, Reign, Luther, Hell on Wheels, Rurouni Kenshin, Moribito, Frasier, Firefly, Star Trek/TNG/DS9, Blacklist, West Wing, Dark Matter, Legends, MASH, Agents of Shield, Continuum, Longmire, Girl meets world, Last man standing, Broadchurch, Doctor Who, Madam Secretary, Skinwalkers (about Navajo cops), the crazy ones, as well Stargate Universe, and a show about a cop going from what I think is Chicago or something to Florida, called The Glades. Watched Fringe but not on Netflix(Some are still in queue to keep watching again.)

What others fit in any of the ones I have listed that aren't Buffy or Angel? What suggestions would you have?

Eldan
2016-03-16, 01:56 PM
Daredevil and Jessica Jones?

Spojaz
2016-03-16, 02:45 PM

I'm trying (unsuccessfully) not to get my hopes up for daredevil season two, streaming on Friday!, since I've been re-watching season one. I forgot how good everything is.

Back to the other good shows on Netflix, based on your list, I think you might like: House MD, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Dr. Who and possibly Farscape. If you enjoyed any part of continuum, and you haven't watched Fringe, that needs to be fixed.

cobaltstarfire
2016-03-16, 02:54 PM
Orange is the New Black might be interesting? I've only watched bits and pieces of it, it's not typical of what I usually watch but I liked what I have seen.

Definitely a +1 to giving Farscape a try, it's quite good (though I was extremely skeptical of it at first).

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head that you haven't already watched.

DiscipleofBob
2016-03-16, 03:02 PM
I really liked Sense8 though it apparently wasn't to everyone's liking. Wachowski brothers siblings sisters directed Netflix original series.

Basic premise is 8 complete strangers from around the globe are linked by a biological phenomenon where they can get inside each other's heads, often by accident, and sense and feel what the others do, and even sometimes draw upon other skillsets.

Joran
2016-03-16, 03:06 PM
You can try Lost Girl, a show about supernatural beings; I give no promises as to quality, but I watched a couple seasons and enjoyed it.

Similarly, you can give Once Upon a Time a try; it's a mishmash of Disney characters into the real world. I thought the first couple seasons were pretty good quality.

(I know I'm damning with faint praise, but you've watched almost everything I would unambiguously recommend).

P.S. I was going to recommend Orphan Black, but that's Amazon Prime, not Netflix :(

Peelee
2016-03-16, 03:15 PM
Better Off Ted. Probably the best American sitcom I've ever seen.

russdm
2016-03-16, 06:52 PM
Back to the other good shows on Netflix, based on your list, I think you might like: House MD, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Dr. Who and possibly Farscape. If you enjoyed any part of continuum, and you haven't watched Fringe, that needs to be fixed.

Have watched Doctor Who, and one episode of Farscape, watched Fringe elsewhere but couldn't get into really.

You can try Lost Girl, a show about supernatural beings; I give no promises as to quality, but I watched a couple seasons and enjoyed it.

(I know I'm damning with faint praise, but you've watched almost everything I would unambiguously recommend).

P.S. I was going to recommend Orphan Black, but that's Amazon Prime, not Netflix :(

I have watched Lost Girl, I need to remember to add it to the big list.

Better Off Ted. Probably the best American sitcom I've ever seen.

I have actually watched that as well. I need to update the list, since people reminded me shows that had watched but I had forgotten. Thanks.

2016-03-16, 06:58 PM
While I can admit that it's not really for everyone, I personally think the series "American Horror Story" is pretty good; I've rewatched all of the Netflix-available seasons multiple times, and it holds up to second/third/xth viewings, at least for me. That said, if you're not particularly a "Horror" kind of person, it might not really hold your interest.

Orrmundur
2016-03-16, 08:49 PM
I really liked Sense8 though it apparently wasn't to everyone's liking. Wachowski brothers siblings sisters directed Netflix original series.

Basic premise is 8 complete strangers from around the globe are linked by a biological phenomenon where they can get inside each other's heads, often by accident, and sense and feel what the others do, and even sometimes draw upon other skillsets.

Good Gob, yes! I get that some people didn't care for it but I personally couldn't recommend Sense8 enough. It's a rare show that feels like it's doing something that's never been done before on television. It's not always the most polished show but it's bold.

Peelee
2016-03-17, 09:20 AM
Quantum Leap is on streaming Netflix, but it's a bit infuriating in that they didn't get the episode order quite right. For the most part, the overarching story doesn't change, but it can be a bit jarring for a new episode to start, and you see what's supposed to be a quick recap of the last episode, but it's from, like, five episodes ago, or three episodes in the future, and you wonder if someone else watched some of it and your place is all messed up.

The show makes up for it, though, by being Quantum Leap.

I also think Sliders is on streaming. It used to be. Gonna be pissed if it's been taken off. Both great 80's sci-fi series.

rooster707
2016-03-17, 09:36 AM
Hmmm... I think The Flash is on Netflix. It's... dumb, but fun. (Unlike Arrow, which is just dumb, IMO.) Also, I think these got taken off, but I'm not sure: Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra.

ThinkMinty
2016-03-17, 09:48 AM
If no on else suggested it already: Bojack Horseman. Will Arnette (channelling Charlie Sheen and Bob Saget) is a washed up sitcom dad and talking horse. If you liked any of those shows featuring those anti-heroic older men with emphasis on the anti (The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc), you'll like this one. It's so wonderfully depressing.

Joran
2016-03-17, 12:15 PM
Hmmm... I think The Flash is on Netflix. It's... dumb, but fun. (Unlike Arrow, which is just dumb, IMO.) Also, I think these got taken off, but I'm not sure: Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra.

Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra are on Amazon Prime streaming. Legend of Korra only has the first 2 seasons free.

tomandtish
2016-03-17, 04:25 PM

I'll second these. Daredevil was excellent... and Jessica Jones was even better.

I believe they still have Stargate SG-1? Worth checking out the first 7 seasons. YMMV on the ones after that...

Leewei
2016-03-18, 10:59 AM
I'll second these. Daredevil was excellent... and Jessica Jones was even better.

Perfectly said.

I'd also suggest The 100 and Continuum as a pair of very well-conceived Sci-Fi series on Netflix.

huttj509
2016-03-18, 09:15 PM
Prob not quite what you're looking for, but if you're in the mood for something older I really liked Colombo when I watched it. And in terms of the "short fun" variety I've been enjoying the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited cartoons (some *really* well done episodes).

Peelee
2016-03-18, 09:19 PM
Prob not quite what you're looking for, but if you're in the mood for something older I really liked Colombo when I watched it. And in terms of the "short fun" variety I've been enjoying the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited cartoons (some *really* well done episodes).

Columbo is what EVERYONE should be looking for.

Razade
2016-03-18, 09:22 PM
If no on else suggested it already: Bojack Horseman. Will Arnette (channelling Charlie Sheen and Bob Saget) is a washed up sitcom dad and talking horse. If you liked any of those shows featuring those anti-heroic older men with emphasis on the anti (The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc), you'll like this one. It's so wonderfully depressing.

Seconding this. BoJack Hoseman is one of the greatest shows ever produced. It's -not- a Comedy even if it appears to be on first blush so be prepared.

Eldan
2016-03-19, 03:26 PM
I envy you Americans with your netflixes that actually have stuff on them. Pretty much nothing of what you just mentioned is on there for me.

Peelee
2016-03-19, 03:38 PM
Seconding this. BoJack Hoseman is one of the greatest shows ever produced. It's -not- a Comedy even if it appears to be on first blush so be prepared.
.......... I will respect that you have an opinion.

I envy you Americans with your netflixes that actually have stuff on them. Pretty much nothing of what you just mentioned is on there for me.

Well, technically, everything's on Netflix if you get the discs.

ThinkMinty
2016-03-19, 04:18 PM

Did you miss all the gallows humor, or is comedy not allowed to be deep?

Razade
2016-03-19, 04:32 PM
.......... I will respect that you have an opinion.

Did you miss all the gallows humor, or is comedy not allowed to be deep?

No? Just because something has humor in it doesn't make it a Comedy. I never said it didn't have humor in it but if you approach BoJack Horseman as just a Black Comedy you're doing yourself a service going into it. Dead Poet Society had great black humor but at the end of the day it was still a Drama. BoJack Horseman is as much a Drama as Dead Poet Society. Especially by the second season.

Peelee
2016-03-19, 09:37 PM
No? Just because something has humor in it doesn't make it a Comedy. I never said it didn't have humor in it but if you approach BoJack Horseman as just a Black Comedy you're doing yourself a service going into it. Dead Poet Society had great black humor but at the end of the day it was still a Drama. BoJack Horseman is as much a Drama as Dead Poet Society. Especially by the second season.

For the record, i was not saying that in response to "it is not a comedy."

Razade
2016-03-19, 09:39 PM
For the record, i was not saying that in response to "it is not a comedy."

Oh, well then you're just wrong then. :smalltongue:

Marillion
2016-03-20, 09:53 AM
I will second Bojack. It takes 2-3 episodes to really get going, and it seems the humor just clicks on for some people. I was on the fence about it until a certain line that had me laughing so hard I had to pause the show for five minutes, and from that point on it's been consistently excellent. Prepare for some emotional stomach punches though.

You may also enjoy Revenge. An improbably talented girl returns to her childhood neighborhood in the Hamptons to dispense justice upon the people who wrongfully imprisoned her father.

ThinkMinty
2016-03-20, 06:53 PM

Question: does Rick and Morty not count as a comedy either? I need to know what the terms we're using mean or this is just us arguing past eachother.

Razade
2016-03-20, 06:58 PM
Question: does Rick and Morty not count as a comedy either? I need to know what the terms we're using mean or this is just us arguing past eachother.

Never seen it so couldn't say.

the_fennecfox
2016-03-26, 08:18 PM
I would definitely recommend the show Supernatural, while it does have many seasons, it is worth it. The first season isn't the greatest, however once you get past that, the other seasons are amazing.

How to Get Away with Murder is awesome!!

Also if you haven't seen it yet, Friends

The Walking Dead can be entertaining.

I enjoyed Gilmore Girls :smallredface:

The 100 is okay, I know a lot of people that like it.

Rodin
2016-03-27, 07:13 AM

Well, I could be mean and say it needs to have humor in it for it to be a comedy, but I think I'm just in the minority where Rick and Morty is concerned. :smalltongue:

Bob's Burgers is quite good, if you're cool with shows in the classic American Sitcom style.