PDA

View Full Version : is attending the godsmoot not considered "being on duty"

Hitchkok
2016-03-16, 02:44 PM
or is there another reason why the priestess of Hoder isn't blindfolded?

Pyrous
2016-03-16, 02:48 PM
She's blind.

Hitchkok
2016-03-16, 02:50 PM
so that grants her privilages?

NerdyKris
2016-03-16, 02:53 PM
Where in the comic has it been stated that clerics of Hoder need to wear blindfolds, or that being blind doesn't count the same as blindfolded?

In other words, Rich can use any rules he wants for a random cleric that probably isn't going to show up again.

Pyrous
2016-03-16, 02:54 PM
She doesn't need a blindfold to turn off her vision.

Hitchkok
2016-03-16, 03:01 PM
Where in the comic has it been stated that clerics of Hoder need to wear blindfolds, or that being blind doesn't count the same as blindfolded?

In other words, Rich can use any rules he wants for a random cleric that probably isn't going to show up again.
strip 982
specifically, panel 5.

She doesn't need a blindfold to turn off her vision.
doesn't say "turn of their vision while on duty", says "wear them [i.e. blindfolds] while on duty"

UristMcRandom
2016-03-16, 03:10 PM
Based on your responses to this thread, I'd say that probably you aren't going to be satisfied with any answer that the forum is able to come up with. Barring an answer from The Giant himself (which is unlikely to be a pleasant thing with the direction this thread seems to be heading), I'd say that the answer can be best summarized thusly:

[...]Rich can use any rules he wants for a random cleric that probably isn't going to show up again.

That aside, I personally like the "she's blind too, so she doesn't need a blindfold" response. The purpose of wearing a blindfold isn't that the priests have an arbitrary love of strips of cloth in front of their eyes, it's to imitate their blind deity. The HPoHoder is already blind, so she doesn't need a strip of cloth to imitate her god.

littlebum2002
2016-03-16, 03:11 PM
I'm not sure if you actually just don't understand what the purpose of the blindfolds are, or if you're just trying to be funny.

Question: would you make a blind person wear a blindfold while playing Pin the Tail on the Donkey?

NerdyKris
2016-03-16, 03:18 PM
strip 982
specifically, panel 5.

doesn't say "turn of their vision while on duty", says "wear them [i.e. blindfolds] while on duty"

Oh yeah....

Well, she's clearly not wearing one but is blind, so that leaves "Blind clerics don't need to wear them" or "She has special privileges since she's the high priest and blind". Either one works as an explanation, and it's probably all we'll get.

Kantaki
2016-03-16, 03:21 PM
strip 982
specifically, panel 5.

The regular priests of Hoder wear blindfolds while on duty to show their devotion to their god.
The High Priestess takes it a step further by permanently sacrificing her eye sight.
She doesn't have to wear some piece of cloth to honour Hoder because she already made a greater sacrifice.

Alternatively she was born blind/lost her eye sight in a mundane-ish way they consider blindness a blessing of their god and that's why she is exempted from the rule.

Or she isn’t wearing the thing because it makes no difference in her case.
I mean why should a blind priestess of a blind god wear a blindfold?
I can see why the other priests do it, but someone who already is blind? Way more impressive without a towel in their face.

Final option: Rank brings privilege. The towels itch. Why should she wear it? Who can make her do so? Well, Hoder could, but it seems he is fine with it.

littlebum2002
2016-03-16, 03:23 PM
I mean it's pretty obvious. They use the blindfolds to empathize with their blind deity. Blind people are already blind so don't need blindfolds. It has nothing to do with her being high priest, I'd bet any blind priests of Hoder don't wear blindfolds. And I don't think it's a "special exception" either since most people would be smart enough to figure it out.

Markozeta
2016-03-16, 03:27 PM
strip 982
specifically, panel 5.

The best part is this imposed rule comes from a vampire who doesn't care at all about the ins, outs, and protocols of a god outside of Hel or it comes from Durkon's memories - which we can all see are vague recollections of a barely skimmed by cleric school.

King of Nowhere
2016-03-18, 11:50 AM
i wonder if she has a rigeneration spell prepared in case she needs to fight. giving up your sight to increase your affinity with your god is ok, but losing fights - where the interests of your god are on the line - because you pridefully fought with a self-imposed disability seem stupid.

Rift_Wolf
2016-03-18, 12:01 PM
i wonder if she has a rigeneration spell prepared in case she needs to fight. giving up your sight to increase your affinity with your god is ok, but losing fights - where the interests of your god are on the line - because you pridefully fought with a self-imposed disability seem stupid.

She'd get tremorsense 120ft. And the Blind-fight, improved Blind-fight and greater Blind-fight as bonus feats. And a katana. One thing movies and Thundercats has taught me; Lose Sight, Gain Awesome.

NerdyKris
2016-03-18, 12:38 PM
It's a bit unlikely that the high priest of a god is getting in a whole lot of random fights on their own. You don't put your generals on the front lines.

Jasdoif
2016-03-18, 01:41 PM
I imagine the blindness mandate tanked their recruitment efforts, so they moved to a blindfold model for neophytes.

Hamste
2016-03-18, 02:53 PM

If she can cast regeneration most likely she has spells that would work a lot better and not truly restore her sight for a fight.

aurilee
2016-03-18, 03:02 PM
If she can cast regeneration most likely she has spells that would work a lot better and not truly restore her sight for a fight.

I assume that in most fights, a high priest(ess) would cast one spell: sanctuary.

The only reason a high priest(ess) would fight is if there's no lower-level clergy around (like at the moot).

It's been a while since I've played with priest spells, but I do believe that a high-level cleric can summon celestial beings (like devas). If I were a blind high priestess, that would be the very first spell I cast if I were forced into combat. Then sanctuary.

The alternative of course is that the church of Hoder is actually the church of Daredevil and through either training or a church-specific high-level spell their remaining senses are all extremely sensitive and seeing is redundant.

Hamste
2016-03-18, 03:19 PM
I assume that in most fights, a high priest(ess) would cast one spell: sanctuary.

The only reason a high priest(ess) would fight is if there's no lower-level clergy around (like at the moot).

It's been a while since I've played with priest spells, but I do believe that a high-level cleric can summon celestial beings (like devas). If I were a blind high priestess, that would be the very first spell I cast if I were forced into combat. Then sanctuary.

The alternative of course is that the church of Hoder is actually the church of Daredevil and through either training or a church-specific high-level spell their remaining senses are all extremely sensitive and seeing is redundant.

Sanctuary is a first level spell that allows a will save and doesn't help against AoE. Unless they heighten it anyone capable of fighting a high priestess will probably make the save and this becomes more likely that at least one person makes the save if more than one person is attacking. Even if they fail the save any number of Area of attack spells work. They might throw off a quickened sanctuary if high enough level just in the hopes it randomly affects someone but unlikely. Gate (the 9th level spell you are probably talking about) would be a lot better of an opening for the fight. It costs 1000 exp but that isn't too bad.

aurilee
2016-03-18, 03:53 PM
Sanctuary is a first level spell that allows a will save and doesn't help against AoE. Unless they heighten it anyone capable of fighting a high priestess will probably make the save and this becomes more likely that at least one person makes the save if more than one person is attacking. Even if they fail the save any number of Area of attack spells work. They might throw off a quickened sanctuary if high enough level just in the hopes it randomly affects someone but unlikely. Gate (the 9th level spell you are probably talking about) would be a lot better of an opening for the fight. It costs 1000 exp but that isn't too bad.

Gate sounds familiar. The general idea I was going for was that a high level cleric doesn't have to actually fight, they just have to summon something to fight for them.

As for sanctuary, I was under the impression that there was an "upgraded" version, but that must have been something I saw in a homebrew or something...(again, it's been a while since I've been involved in a game where priest spells were present). Either way, as a blind high priestess, I would probably work pretty hard on getting an upgraded sanctuary spell from my god. Summon then sanctuary (assuming it's not the 1st level variant) still seems like a solid plan. I've done similar things with mages/sorcerers (summons and shields) and it's generally worked out alright.

NerdyKris
2016-03-18, 04:56 PM
Also, in the real world people don't live their lives according to what is most effective in optimizing combat. Especially if they aren't intending to be in combat all the time.

I mean, we have six main characters as walking talking proof of that right in the comic.

Porthos
2016-03-18, 08:59 PM
Also, in the real world people don't live their lives according to what is most effective in optimizing combat. Especially if they aren't intending to be in combat all the time.

I mean, we have six main characters as walking talking proof of that right in the comic.

More to the point/Backing this idea up, if one is the sort of person to get hung up on "I need eyes so I can be leet in combat", one probably isn't the sort to join up with the church of Hoder in the first place.

Now given how the universe of OotS tends to balance everything out mechanically (:xykon:: Weird, huh?), maybe higher ups in the church of Hoder get something to counteract the blindness penalties. Perhaps some magical swag.

Or maybe, just maybe, they're True Believers and will sacrifice the benefits of their sight/choose not to have their sight restored if they were already blind to be more in tune with their chosen deity. It's not that unheard of in fiction for people to willingly do something (allegedly) detrimental to prove their faith and fidelity.

Either way seems fairly plausible to me.

Vinyadan
2016-03-19, 08:43 AM
Durkon likely has no idea of how it works. His Kn:Religion is low. He probably put it together on his own, and the Giant served us his partial knowledge as a passable explanation for the then current situation.

I am for the High Priest being born blind, although her stance IRL means that she has once been very nearsighted. Or maybe she just has back problems. Maybe only the high priestess needs to be blind, or maybe it's a random occurrence.

Can restoration cure problems which are genetically ingrained in the person, like being born without a limb?

KillianHawkeye
2016-03-19, 11:31 PM
maybe higher ups in the church of Hoder get something to counteract the blindness penalties. Perhaps some magical swag.

Or a spell called "true seeing," which has already been shown in the comic to allow the blind to see? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0428.html)

Imperii
2016-03-20, 04:31 AM
Durkon likely has no idea of how it works. His Kn:Religion is low. He probably put it together on his own, and the Giant served us his partial knowledge as a passable explanation for the then current situation.

I am for the High Priest being born blind, although her stance IRL means that she has once been very nearsighted. Or maybe she just has back problems. Maybe only the high priestess needs to be blind, or maybe it's a random occurrence.

Can restoration cure problems which are genetically ingrained in the person, like being born without a limb?

Durkon is not the one that made that statement. The vampire is.

Durkoala
2016-03-20, 06:08 AM
The regular priests of Hoder wear blindfolds while on duty to show their devotion to their god.
The High Priestess takes it a step further by permanently sacrificing her eye sight.
She doesn't have to wear some piece of cloth to honour Hoder because she already made a greater sacrifice.

Alternatively she was born blind/lost her eye sight in a mundane-ish way they consider blindness a blessing of their god and that's why she is exempted from the rule.

Or she isn’t wearing the thing because it makes no difference in her case.
I mean why should a blind priestess of a blind god wear a blindfold?
I can see why the other priests do it, but someone who already is blind? Way more impressive without a towel in their face.

Final option: Rank brings privilege. The towels itch. Why should she wear it? Who can make her do so? Well, Hoder could, but it seems he is fine with it.

Another option: because she's blind, and through a years-long string of coincidences, she's unaware that blindfolds are part of the clerical wear for followers of Hoder, and nobody's corrected her because they're all blindfolded and unaware that she's improperly dressed.

KillianHawkeye
2016-03-20, 10:06 AM
Another option: because she's blind, and through a years-long string of coincidences, she's unaware that blindfolds are part of the clerical wear for followers of Hoder, and nobody's corrected her because they're all blindfolded and unaware that she's improperly dressed.

This is the best of all possible explanations. :smallbiggrin:

GrayDeath
2016-03-20, 12:59 PM
That ... wow. :smallbiggrin:
Impressively funny and oh so fitting at the same time!

DaggerPen
2016-03-20, 06:04 PM

Okay, we can pack it up and go home; Durkoala has win the thread.

Emanick
2016-03-20, 08:18 PM
It's a bit unlikely that the high priest of a god is getting in a whole lot of random fights on their own. You don't put your generals on the front lines.

In D&D you generally do, if the generals are the ones with the most class levels.

Vinyadan
2016-03-21, 05:44 AM
In D&D you generally do, if the generals are the ones with the most class levels.

Not only in D&D. Sending generals up front was a medieval thing, and one of the reasons why Scotland lost at Flodden Field: unlike the Scots, the English kept their commanders in the rear. This was one of the innovations of the Reinassance era.

snowblizz
2016-03-21, 08:48 AM
Not only in D&D. Sending generals up front was a medieval thing, and one of the reasons why Scotland lost at Flodden Field: unlike the Scots, the English kept their commanders in the rear. This was one of the innovations of the Reinassance era.
Actually, sharing the risk with your common soldiers was a thing right into WW2, and beyond. Though in lessening degrees of course as random chance to become a casualty becomes more and more "they are specifically aiming for me".

Somewhere around where rifle ranges become such that you aren't really face to face with the enemy anymore. Though by no means the only factor, as eg the level of personal charisma involved in leading troops would matter a lot.

aurilee
2016-03-21, 09:10 AM

Bravo sir, bravo.

*claps*

Onyavar
2016-03-21, 09:41 AM
Durkoala has win the thread.

Either this is a funny misspell, or you invented a very new and cool nickname for Undurkon/Phyrnglsnyx/the sunlight-impaired malnutritioned Durkon imitation.

I heartily approve, even though the thread has already been "winned" and nothing can top it anymore.

aurilee
2016-03-21, 09:51 AM
Either this is a funny misspell, or you invented a very new and cool nickname for Undurkon/Phyrnglsnyx/the sunlight-impaired malnutritioned Durkon imitation.

I heartily approve, even though the thread has already been "winned" and nothing can top it anymore.

Durkoala is the name of the actual user (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?90914-Durkoala)...

It is a pretty awesome name though (with a matching avatar to boot).

Durkoala
2016-03-21, 06:25 PM
Thanks for all the kind words!

I've had a rough day at work today and this really helped.

Vinsfeld
2016-03-22, 09:33 AM
The first time she appeared, she didn't have the blindfold either (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0985.html). Perhaps, being blind is enough. Or maybe it's some kind of High Priest privilege.

martianmister
2016-03-22, 03:28 PM
She might be under the effect of a magical blindfold.

Hamste
2016-03-23, 05:45 AM
She might be wearing an invisible blind fold so she can get a good look at everything with her blind eyes.

Or you know, the intent of the rule was just to show solidarity with their blind god by wearing blindfolds and being blind is just as good.