PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dwelf Homebrew, or HEY! You got your hippie in my beard.

Ultra4Life
2016-03-16, 08:45 PM
So I was looking around to see if there was any 5e homebrew here that covered this concept and came up short. So I figured "Hey self, why not make it and see how it works." My response was "I need friends so I stop talking to myself." So thinking that a forum is as good a place as any to forge new friendships, so here's some Dwelf homebrew.

Now first and foremost this is obviously setting specific, but there are some settings out there where this is mentioned to be possible. I also decided to make the base dwelf just a blend of generic physical traits of the two races without any cultural abilities. My reasoning is I figured that what culture most influenced your character would make for a good subrace. So if you're half high elf, half mountain dwarf you have to pick one or the other for your subrace.

For balancing purposes I used this as a reference for what each thing was roughly worth. I used the half-elf's point value as the basis for this.

5e Race Analysis (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/pub)*

*Credit due to the original creator.

Now obviously this isn't perfect, but it should be a good starting point. I'm going to leave out most of the fluff bits since that's easy enough to fill in for your setting. So here we go:

Dwelves and subraces:

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution and Dexterity scores each increase by 1.
Size. Dwelves tend to vary wildly in height, but they average between 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 feet.
Speed.Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. Whether you take after your elven or dwarven parentage more, you are accustomed to seeing in the dark. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Dwarven Resilience. You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage (explained in chapter 9).
Fey Ancestry.You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.
Languages.You can read, speak, and write Common.

Subraces
Note: You do NOT pick two subraces. You pick one from the total list. You do not get an elf and a dwarf one, you get an elf OR a dwarf one. If you want to get some traits from both parents, select the "normal" (placeholder name) subrace.

Normal
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity and Constitution scores each increase by 1 for a total of 2 each.
Weapon Proficiency. You are proficient with the longsword, battleaxe, longbow, and light hammer.
Extra Languages. You can read, speak, and write Dwarven and Elven.

Notes:
This race has .5 more points than the others. This is mainly because I felt it needed an extra language. Speaking one more isn't especially more powerful.

High Elf
Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 1.
Keen Senses. You have proficiency in the Perception skill.
Elf Weapon Training. You have proficiency with the longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow.
Cantrip. You know one cantrip of your choice from the wizard spell list. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.
Extra Language. You can speak, read, and write Elven.

Wood Elf
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Elf Weapon Training. You have proficiency with the longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow.
Fleet of Foot. Your base walking speed increases to 35 feet.

Drow
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Drow Weapon Training. You have proficiency with rapiers, shortswords, and hand crossbows.
Superior Darkvision. Your darkvision has a radius of 120 feet.

Note:
I know this is gonna raise stuff about drow an dwarf interbreeding, but this is really just here for completion's sake. As always if it wouldn't/couldn't happen in your setting ignore as you would halfings a setting where they were driven extinct due to being delicious when charbroiled.

Hill Dwarf
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1 to a total of 2.
Dwarven Combat Training.You have proficiency with the battleaxe, handaxe, light hammer, and warhammer.
Tool Proficiency. You gain proficiency with the artisan's tools of your choice: smith's tools, brewer's supplies, or mason's tools.
Stonecunning. Whenever you make an Intelligence (History) check related to the origin of stonework, you are considered proficient in the History skill and add double your proficiency bonus to the check, instead of your normal proficiency bonus.
Extra Language. You can speak, read, and write Dwarven.

Note:
I considered giving this one the extra hit point, but decided against it and instead made it into a kinda generic dwarf subrace (has all the hallmarks of being a dwarf).

Mountain Dwarf
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.
Dwarven Combat Training.You have proficiency with the battleaxe, handaxe, light hammer, and warhammer.
Dwarven Armor Training. You have proficiency with light and medium armor.
Extra Language. You can speak, read, and write Dwarven.

Note:
Before I get stuff for this getting dwarven armor training, keep in mind dwelves don't get he dwarf ability to move in armor at full speed regardless of strength. At the very least it keeps people from using it as means to get heavy armor proficiency with one feat and not care about strength. Gotta stick to regular mountain dwarves for that.

Duergar
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.
Dwarven Combat Training. You have proficiency with the battleaxe, handaxe, light hammer, and warhammer.
Duergar Resilience. You have advantage on saving throws against illusions and against being charmed or paralyzed.
Extra Languages. You can read, speak, and write Dwarven and Undercommon.

Note:
Same as Drow, for the sake of completion.

Now for the crunchy bits

Dwelf Core - 3.5
2 - Dexterity +1, Constitution +1
.5 - Darkvision 60 ft.
.5 - Fey Ancestry
.5 - Dwarven Resilience

High Elf - 3.0
1 - Intelligence +1
.5 - Weapon Proficiencies
.5 - Perception Proficiency
.5 - Extra Language
.5 - Extra Cantrip

Wood Elf - 3.0
1 - Wisdom +1
.5 - Extra Language
.5 - +5 movement

Drow - 3.0
1 - Charisma +1
.5 - Extra Language
.5 - Darkvision +60 ft.

Mountain Dwarf - 3.0
1 - Strength +1
1 - Light and Medium Armor
.5 - Extra Language

Hill Dwarf - 3.0
1 - Wisdom +1
.5 - Extra Language
.5 - Stonecunning
.5 - Tool Proficiency

Both Parents - 3.5
2 - Dexterity +1, Constitution +1
.5 - Weapon Proficiency
1 - Extra Language

Duergar - 3.0*
1 - Strength +1
.5 - Weapon Proficiency
.5 - Deurgar resilience*
1 - Extra Languages

*This was purely speculative

So that's what I have. Thoughts? Any glaring overpoweredness you can see that I should fix? I'm not too concerned about it being underpowered unless it's drastically weak. Currently considering dropping the High Elf subrace's cantrip for an extra language since I'm having a hard time justifying picking an actual High Elf over a dwelf with that subrace.