PDA

View Full Version : Girl Genius!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

LurkerInPlayground
2005-12-12, 01:34 AM
I shall now shamelessly share my interest in a webcomic on this thread. If this is wrong, please forgive me. There just doesn't seem to be very many other comics being discussed on this board.

Now do you remember Phil and Kaja Foglio? Those guys who used to do those "What's New with Phil and Dixie" comics in Duelist magazine? Phil himself used to do some art for M:TG cards back in the day.

Well they've now put up their own webcomic, and it is a good one indeed! I like it, so by extension, you should too!

It's set in a "gaslamp fantasy" world, an alternate Victorian age where Sparks (mad scientists) run amok. It was originally intended to be a print-release comic that has switched format. You can expect a well-written plot and good characters from Kaja, the writer of the two. It starts out in black-and-white but gets a professional coloring treatment after issue 1. They also update regularly on Monday, Wednesday and Friday; the classic webcomic days.

Start from comic #1 here:
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/gg101.cgi?date=20050221

Main Website here:
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/index.php

Tiger Duck
2005-12-12, 01:57 AM
Yes it is a verry good coomic makes me want to build klanks myself ;D

Deleran
2005-12-12, 02:47 AM
Cool setting. Some of the characters are pretty good too. I'm not overly fond of that kind of storytelling though.

Shatteredtower
2005-12-12, 03:12 AM
Whereas I love the Foglio style of storytelling. His cover for the first issue of the "Stanley and His Monster" miniseries (as well as the miniseries itself, wherein I first heard of the Heterodyne Boys, though it's not where they orginated) will always be a favourite of mine.

However, I still like this and the Buck Godot series more. There's so much to this world that can leap out and surprise you, even if you've read the Vol. 0 Issue from the series, back when it was being sold over the counter.

Okay, I'm also partial to it because I enjoy little more than reading Othar Tryggvassen's lines aloud, but it's really about much more than that, and Krosp, and Baron Wulfenbach, and Bangledesh DuPree.

Ah, Bang... Phil does such wonderfully frightening women. There are more dangerous ones than this one, but I'll never forget how the expression on her face can be so friendly as she's killing you. :o

The Giant
2005-12-12, 08:25 AM
Yeah, Girl Genius is good stuff. Oddly, I think Phil's art is better during the early black-and-white pages, where he has to do everything with crosshatching and such. I don't think I've ever seen him draw objects that look so physically solid before.

evileeyore
2005-12-12, 08:59 AM
Foglio is a God.

Elrohir
2005-12-12, 10:21 AM
This is to wierd, a few days ago I discovered the Girl Genius comics, and started reading them, and now this thread. Wierd :D

Do have to say. I like them more in black-white than in color. But it still rokcs. But the new story in Sepia is I think the best combo yet.

AtomicKitKat
2005-12-12, 10:21 AM
Hmm, I was debating whether to read the comic previously, but after seeing the Foglio name, I've decided it should be good. :-[

LurkerInPlayground
2005-12-12, 01:48 PM
Huh...I thought I was the only one who liked the black-and-white better. Still the coloring makes it easier on the eyes when you're reading it.

Anyway, my favorite scene is the one where we learn about Baron Wulfenbach's hobby when he's not busy oppressing Europe. It made me like the Baron even more than before. Yes, he's an evil tyrant, but he's much more benevolent than people give credit for and ruling the world gives him no pleasure. Sadly, for him, it's his day-job.

BiggusGeekus
2005-12-12, 02:22 PM
I'm not overly fond of that kind of storytelling though.

I'm lost. What do you mean?

Deleran
2005-12-12, 04:34 PM
I'm lost. What do you mean?

Well, I'm not sure if it was what ShatteredTower was talking about, but I was referring to the way that information is made intentionally scarce. IE: A bunch of things are alluded to, but you're left in the dark about what's going on for long periods of time.

BiggusGeekus
2005-12-12, 04:56 PM
I was referring to the way that information is made intentionally scarce.

Yeah.

On the one hand we find out the information at the same rate Agatha does and that's immersive. On the other hand ... she's finding it out really slowly.

Jothki
2005-12-12, 07:13 PM
Yeah.

On the one hand we find out the information at the same rate Agatha does and that's immersive. On the other hand ... she's finding it out really slowly.

I find that the best way to read this kind of material is to wait for a year or so then take it in all at once. Unfortunatly, it isn't presented that way. Still, it's kind of good to be able to do that when you discover some new comic.

Premier
2006-07-28, 07:22 AM
This is to wierd, a few days ago I discovered the Girl Genius comics, and started reading them, and now this thread. Wierd :D

And I too just discovered it the other week, funny thing, eh?

My favourites are the three Jagermonsters.

CommanderFalken
2006-08-01, 05:05 PM
And I too just discovered it the other week, funny thing, eh?

My favourites are the three Jagermonsters.

Hell yes! Jagermonsters FTW!

I just discovered it pretty recently too, and read through all of them in 3 days (advanced class and normal)

Have you seen this yet? Jagermonster Translator

WampaX
2006-08-02, 09:55 AM
Hell yes! Jagermonsters FTW!

I just discovered it pretty recently too, and read through all of them in 3 days (advanced class and normal)

That takes half the fun away. I like to read aloud the Jagermonster's dialogue to hear it and underatand it. Its all part of the fun.

CommanderFalken
2006-08-02, 09:58 AM
That takes half the fun away. I like to read aloud the Jagermonster's dialogue to hear it and underatand it. Its all part of the fun.

Well, the point was that it can work in the opposite direction too. Zo hyu can talk like de Jagers!

wtf_mate409
2006-08-07, 12:19 PM

Heh, fun!

The Jägers are flippin sweet. :)

Scudboy
2007-01-23, 01:34 PM
Resurrecting an old thread - I just went back (after following GG for several months) and reread the beginning of the "advanced class" comics - and if you (like me) had gone "where the heck did all that stuff come from" in response to some of the more recent plot developments, you'll see there's a LOT of fore-shadowing during those early pages. Things are making a lot more sense now.

storybookknight
2007-01-23, 01:43 PM
I started reading it... I think when it was linked from Miracle of Science. I think I later picked up Narbonic from Phil Foglio's links, but I might be mistaken.

Either way, all three are very good reads.

Raz
2007-01-23, 02:19 PM
I'm an avid reader of Girl Genius and I have to agree...

De Jagers are flippin sweet :smallsmile:

And Pies! The Pies of SCIENCE!!!

Ms_Elaneous
2007-01-23, 08:57 PM
I actually get up early to check the updates before I go to school. I love this webcomic, albeit I hate the way the people are drawn. *shrug* Personal taste I suppose.

Parlik
2007-01-27, 06:18 AM
Love it to, would actually love to create a RPG world with this setting, Klaus is definetly the best portrayal (or at least most interesting) of the LE alignment I have so far seen

Porthos
2007-01-30, 12:49 AM
Love it to, would actually love to create a RPG world with this setting, Klaus is definetly the best portrayal (or at least most interesting) of the LE alignment I have so far seen

You may not know this, but Kaja Foglio is writing the "Girl Genius RPG and Sourcebook, Powered by GURPS". It supposedly will be a very detailed look at the whole world of Girl Genius and not just the little corner of the world we are seeing at the moment.

No timeframe for when it will be out (since the RPG is still being written), unfortunately. :smallfrown:

NecroPaladin
2007-02-02, 03:09 AM
The steampunk genre is incredibly difficult to pull of well, and yet Phil manages to do it admirably. A fave webcomic of mine.

Elliot Kane
2007-02-02, 03:46 AM
I've loved it ever since I discovered it a while back. Hugely original, funny and with great characters :)

CharlieRock
2007-02-02, 07:51 PM
I liked this series a lot.
When I first discovered it, I let it 'grow up' for a few months. Then read it wholly beginning to current. I'm going to get the printed version so I can read it on the sofa.
I love the jaegers. Can't wait to see what happened to Adam & Lilith. *Havn't read the advanced yet*
Also on the site were some reprints of Whats New w/Phil&Dixie. Dragon magazine never seems quite right without those two. :(

Maxymiuk
2007-02-04, 11:25 AM
Discovered the comic through this thread yesterday. And yeah, who wouldn't love such a bunch of happy-go-lucky, night-indestructible, utterly loco guys as the Jagermonsters.

Oddly, I have absolutely no trouble understanding them. Maybe it has something to do with my linguistic background. Hmm...

jsh
2007-02-05, 09:59 AM
I read it from start to the present this weekend. I had seen it myriad times, but I could never get past the second page; there was too much going on for me to focus my eyes & think it'd be worth the effort. But for some reason, I read some of the support pages, and even though those gave me information more quickly than the plot did, they also gave me sufficient reason to try plugging away at it, and I ended up really enjoying it. The idea of the Spark in the context of a Frankenstein/H.G. Wells Victorian age is brilliant; i.e., it captures the mayhem and magnificence of a world where 19th.-century science-fiction feats are obtainable. If one considers such a world with an eye to the likes of Euler & Gauss, one can see how the story indeed fits the premise.

I agree that the Jägermonsters are fantastic. They really came into their own when Jenka attached Dimo, Oggie, & Maxim to Agatha. They've make me laugh out loud several times, especially during the fight at the bridge, when Agatha sent them to rescue the fellows trapped by the beasties. It's amusingly ironic that constructs designed for combat have such fun with life and are just so upbeat.

The artwork seems to have gone through a few stages. First, the black & white. Then when it went to color, it seemed to be mechanical: arms were stiff tubes, breasts were over-inflated balls, and so on. But then that style seems to have gone and the illustrations look more natural.

CharlieRock
2007-02-09, 02:39 PM
If you ever read the Whats New w/Phil & Dixie on the back pages of older Dragon Magazine you can definitely see the progress the artist makes with detail and stuff. The first ones were kinda ... sunday newpaper comic stripish. Then a phase that reminded me of Sergio Aragones' Groo comic book. Lots of little things that you may not notice until you read it a couple of times. Now, it sort of reminds me of Fred Perry's Golddigger comics (now, there's another guy who has gotten much better at small details). I guess Sergio, Phil, and Fred all like putting several jokes/actions into one panel. I like it a lot because my eyes can't get bored.

agentx42
2007-02-15, 09:48 PM
If you can find it, read Phil's "Buck Godot: Zap Gun for Hire". I always loved it, even more than Girl Genius, which is certainly saying something!

Porthos
2007-02-19, 04:42 PM
If you can find it, read Phil's "Buck Godot: Zap Gun for Hire". I always loved it, even more than Girl Genius, which is certainly saying something!

Psst, look over here. :smallamused:

www.zapgunforhire.com

and for good measure:

www.studiofoglio.com/growf

CharlieRock
2007-02-23, 07:46 AM
I'm looking forward to this one:Girl Genius RPG (GURPS)
I've played a lot of GURPS 1ed and am really excited about this one.
From girlgeniusonline.com

Work proceeds apace on The Girl Genius Role-Playing Game and Sourcebook (Powered by GURPS.)

Midnight Lurker
2007-03-01, 03:05 PM
I've been a fan of Phil's work since way back in the day when he did one-panel cartoons for Starlog (Darth and Ben duel with light cabers!) Girl Genius and Buck Godot are my second and third favorite webcomics after Sluggy. :smallwink:

And hey, poiled slurgs! Someone break out the wixxel grease!

Porthos
2007-04-19, 11:36 PM
I just wanted to share the awesome news that Girl Genius has been nominated for an Eisner Award (which are pretty much the Oscars of the comic biz)!!! :smallcool:

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_eisners_main.shtml

Best Digital Comic
Bee, in "Motel Art Improvement Service," by Jason Little, beecomix.com
Girl Genius, by Phil and Kaja Foglio, www.girlgeniusonline.com
Minus, by Ryan Armand, www.kiwisbybeat.com/minus1.html
Phables, by Brad Guigar, www.phables.com
Sam and Max, by Steve Purcell, telltalegames.com/community/comics/samandmax/issue-3
Shooting War, by Anthony Lappe and Dan Goldman, www.shootingwar.com
I know it's the standard line, but it really is an honor to be nominated. Especially when you consider the competition.

Here's hoping for a win! :smallsmile:

ElfLad
2007-04-20, 12:27 AM
I'm too busy hoping that Minus wins. No offense to Girl Genius, but Minus kicks its ass up, down, and sideways.

ArchivesNinja
2007-04-22, 12:34 AM
Ah, but does it have Jagers? And hats. (Waiting impatiently to know why hats are so darned important to those guys.)

Scientivore
2007-04-22, 11:03 AM
Ah, but does it have Jagers? And hats. (Waiting impatiently to know why hats are so darned important to those guys.)

I think that their concern for hats is just for contrast. Without it, their casualness about bloody slaughter, terrible peril and losing an arm might indicate that they're simply incapable of concern. When they're all, Losing a hat? Oh NOES! then it's clear that they're casual about death and destruction because that's what they're for.

ArchivesNinja
2007-04-22, 11:44 PM
Sure, not to mention simple comic relief. But something tells me that there might be an in-story reason for it, too. Maxim was awful concerned with Lars having a hat...

Alysar
2007-04-24, 01:16 PM
Foglio is a great artist. I love his style of art. He also illustrated the Aahz and Skeeve Myth books and put out a series of, shall we say, 'mature' graphic (no pun intended) anthologies.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-04-24, 06:46 PM
I've been following it for about a month now. It's awesome.
(FYI, the Jägers have German accents)

Favourite bit so far:
'Ho, leedle recoil problem dere, sir!'

Tolkien_Freak
2007-04-24, 06:47 PM
I've been following it for about a month now. It's awesome.
(FYI, the Jägers have German accents)

Favourite bit so far:
'Ho, leedle recoil problem dere, sir!'

Scientivore
2007-04-24, 07:46 PM
Foglio is a great artist. I love his style of art. He also illustrated the Aahz and Skeeve Myth books and put out a series of, shall we say, 'mature' graphic (no pun intended) anthologies.

Yeah, I wish that they would reprint Xxxenophile Collection #2. It's hard to find even a used copy. :smallannoyed:

Scientivore
2007-05-16, 04:18 AM
What's really funny about today's strip (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/ggmain.cgi?date=20070516) is that it (presumably unknowingly) echoes this Dominic Deegan "strip slay":

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1979/literatichannelog2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Humbug
2007-05-16, 09:47 PM
I love Girl Genius, though Phil Foglio has lost coolness points to me for liking a certain webcomic. *CoughDominicDeeganCough*

Netherwood
2007-05-18, 01:01 AM
Add another Girl Genius fan on the Playground forums, and another Jaeger fan. :smallbiggrin:

dogmac
2007-05-22, 08:28 PM
Yes, I love GG. I laughed a good deal when I realised that Gil's manservant was called Wooster, though I admit I was probably the only one who did.

And Jaegars are brilliant. Especially when they are saying someone smells NIIIICE.

The Great Skenardo
2007-05-22, 08:52 PM
Yes, I love GG. I laughed a good deal when I realised that Gil's manservant was called Wooster, though I admit I was probably the only one who did.

And Jaegars are brilliant. Especially when they are saying someone smells NIIIICE.

Wodehouse for the win!

Reptilius
2007-06-07, 03:28 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the little gold piece on Zeetha's headband always has the same expression she does?

Look real close. (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/gg101.cgi?date=20070525)

dogmac
2007-06-07, 11:52 PM
Do you think the thing that Agatha is currently making will work, given she is wearing the thingy?

Scientivore
2007-06-08, 01:21 AM
Has anyone else noticed that the little gold piece on Zeetha's headband always has the same expression she does?

Look real close. (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/gg101.cgi?date=20070525)

Sharp eyes!

Do you think the thing that Agatha is currently making will work, given she is wearing the thingy?

Yes, thanks to the magic of coffee. :smallcool:

dogmac
2007-06-08, 01:31 AM
Mmmmmmmm..... coffee...

Alysar
2007-06-08, 09:58 AM
Ick........ coffee

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-06-09, 09:26 AM
I'm sure I've said this already...but I'm a huge fan.

Homebrewed a Spark class, actually (not terribly well, though).

I think the 'hat thing' is either concern for unit recognition or Jagerkin tradition.

Aston
2007-06-10, 12:04 PM
Is the "Advanced Class" going to make any sense if I am still reading from the start? That is, from the 101 section.

And the Jaegers are cool, but I like the carnival people more myself. So far.

Sampi
2007-06-10, 01:07 PM
Is the "Advanced Class" going to make any sense if I am still reading from the start? That is, from the 101 section.

Yes. The story is only a few pages behind the advanced class now, it's supposed to catch up in August. So either be patient, or miss a few pages. Either way, it's gonna make sense.

Aston
2007-06-11, 04:30 AM
Yes. The story is only a few pages behind the advanced class now, it's supposed to catch up in August. So either be patient, or miss a few pages. Either way, it's gonna make sense.

Thank you. I will wait and then go on a sudden spree. :) <looks forward to it>

Anything similar to Girl Genius around? Read Buck Godot though, which was really good.

Off-topic: Someone mentioned Narbonic a few posts ago.... Evil comic. Finished 6 years of archives in a few weeks....

Scientivore
2007-06-11, 11:11 AM
Anything similar to Girl Genius around?

There isn't really anything else quite like Girl Genius but here are some other mad science webcomics.

Radioactive Panda (http://www.radioactivepanda.com/comic/1) is a colorful, funny, fantasy, mad science webcomic. It's completed and relatively short.

A Miracle of Science (http://project-apollo.net/mos/mos000.html) is a colorful, dramatic, sci-fi, mad science webcomic. It's also completed; as I recall, its length is somewhere inbetween Radioactive Panda and Narbonic.

General Protection Fault (http://www.gpf-comics.com/d/19981102.html) is a mostly B&W, dramatic, sci-fi, mad science webcomic. It's very long and still going.

Mad About U. (http://madaboutu.keenspot.com/d/1.html) is a mostly B&W, silly, sci-fantasy, mad science webcomic. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as its (admittedly formidable) competition and it's currently on hiatus.

Human Paragon 3
2007-06-12, 09:58 PM
I love this freaking comic. I read the entire thing TWICE in the past couple weeks (once for the plot and dialogue and then a second time to see all the details that Phil puts in the backgrounds such as little mimoths and tons of extra visual gags and foreshadowing), plus listened to the radio podcasts and read all the supplemental material.

And yes, the Jagers are flippin' sweet.

(Do they get bigger as they age? The Jagergenerals are enormous)

Oh, and Poky-stick, I read your spark base class and thought it was pretty good. I'd want more details for constructs but the rest was incredibly well fleshed out IMO.

PaladinFreak
2007-06-12, 11:32 PM
This is a really well done comic. I love little touches like, on Castle Wulfenbach, there is a giant steaming smoking vat labeled "DO NOT DRINK", or the lab labeled "#5 Lab full of exploding stuff".

Amotis
2007-06-13, 02:54 AM
Sons of Ether! Represent!

...wait.

Gez
2007-06-13, 04:15 AM
There isn't really anything else quite like Girl Genius but here are some other mad science webcomics.

You forgot Dresden Codak (http://dresdencodak.com/index.htm), which is very good but also quite slow. Art is worth the wait, though.

Also, Casey & Andy (http://www.galactanet.com/comic/index.htm), but that one is on hiatus and not that great.

(Depending on the story arcs, mad science can be quite important in Sluggy Freelance, and it's also a big part of the backdrop of Schlock Mercenary and It's Walky!)

Human Paragon 3
2007-06-13, 07:40 AM
This is a really well done comic. I love little touches like, on Castle Wulfenbach, there is a giant steaming smoking vat labeled "DO NOT DRINK", or the lab labeled "#5 Lab full of exploding stuff".

Did you notice that later von zinzer drank out of that vat and it burned a hole through the bottom of his metal cup?

MPHopcroft
2007-06-13, 10:44 PM
Everyone's been commenting on how Gil must be thoroughly twitterpated to have the reaction he did.

I'm not sure whether he's ahead in the Agatha Sweepstakes or not. The professors seem quite determined to keep our Agatha pure (although one wonders whether Phil Foglio would know purity and innocence if it were to walk right up to him, put too many layers of clothes to be comfortable on, and proceed to overdress him as well).

dogmac
2007-06-20, 03:34 AM
I hate cliffhangers.

Good coffee, bad coffee, whatcha reckon?

Gez
2007-06-20, 02:14 PM
(although one wonders whether Phil Foglio would know purity and innocence if it were to walk right up to him, put too many layers of clothes to be comfortable on, and proceed to overdress him as well).

You're confusing purity & innocence with prudery. It's not a question of clothing, or relative lack thereof, it's a question of attitude and behavior.

Scientivore
2007-06-20, 02:32 PM
One of the reasons why I like his Xxxenophile so much is because of a certain quality that it has, usually described as being "girl-positive". It's really innocence on the modern axis of innocence vs. malice (as opposed to the Victorian axis of innocence vs. knowledge). As explicitly sexual as Xxxenophile is, there isn't even a trace of darkness to it. In my opinion, the contrast exposes something very ugly about most other porn, real or drawn.

So, I think that you're both right about his familiarity with innocence, just looking along different axes.

Gez
2007-06-20, 02:51 PM
innocence vs. malice (as opposed to the Victorian axis of innocence vs. knowledge)

The Victorians were screwed up. Innocence stems from Latin innocere and means "unable to do harm" -- the same word, in fact, as "innocuous." An innocent is someone who isn't a noisance.

Felius
2007-06-21, 11:08 PM
Well, that was a good coffee.

Aston
2007-06-28, 10:02 AM
[...H]ere are some other mad science webcomics.

Radioactive Panda (http://www.radioactivepanda.com/comic/1)

A Miracle of Science (http://project-apollo.net/mos/mos000.html)

General Protection Fault (http://www.gpf-comics.com/d/19981102.html)

Mad About U. (http://madaboutu.keenspot.com/d/1.html)

Thanks. Read MoS already, it is how I got to Narbonic, can not remember where I found MoS though....

Radioactive Panda has been reccomended to me before. Will check it out. Will also have a look at GPF.

Thanks a bunch.

Porthos
2007-06-28, 09:28 PM
A General Heads Up for Girl Genius readers for the next few days:

http://kajafoglio.livejournal.com/118517.html

girlgeniusonline.com is down, probably until the end of the month. I'm working to fix it, but things are progressing slowly.

WHAT'S HAPPENED:
We've exceeded our monthly allowance of bandwidth. Unfortunately, our service provider doesn't offer any more, we were already buying as much as we could. I've found another provider that I like, and am working on the switch. It may take a while.

Both of Friday's pages will be posted at: girlgeniuscomic (http://girlgeniuscomic.livejournal.com/) for those who can't wait.

Sorrry for the inconvenience!

Thought the GG fans on this board would want to know. :smallsmile:

Felius
2007-06-28, 10:35 PM
A General Heads Up for Girl Genius readers for the next few days:

http://kajafoglio.livejournal.com/118517.html

[overly dramatic]
Man, you just saved my life. For that I owe you more then I can ever repay
[/overly dramatic]

Tirian
2007-06-28, 10:39 PM

Thanks, I was going into withdrawal for a moment there. :smalleek:

Since I'm posting, does anyone know how much more of GG 101 there is? It seems like just a few hours of story-time left before the start of the Advanced Class storyline.

Porthos
2007-06-28, 11:42 PM
[overly dramatic]
Man, you just saved my life. For that I owe you more then I can ever repay
[/overly dramatic]

[overly dramatic]
I release you from your debt. Just keep the Foglios in your heart and you will have repaid me enough.
[/overly dramatic]

:smalltongue:

Thanks, I was going into withdrawal for a moment there. :smalleek:

Since I'm posting, does anyone know how much more of GG 101 there is? It seems like just a few hours of story-time left before the start of the Advanced Class storyline.

We're 9 pages/updates away from The Great Merge. Well, technically 10 as the opening page of "The Advanced Class" is (intentionally) missing the top part of the page. I figure that page will be put online in full when Kaja gets around to merging the two sections. :smallsmile:

dogmac
2007-06-29, 02:13 AM
Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!

I was having withdrawals and trying to battle through.

Porthos
2007-06-30, 12:31 PM
And thanks to the magic of having a far less lame Hosting Provider, GG is back online. :smallsmile:

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/

As with anything that involves a transfer of servers, it make take a couple of days for the new address to filter to your section of the intra-web. So if you click on the link and get nothing, either do a Hard Refresh (CTRL/CMD-R) or wait a little while longer for the propogation to reach you. :smallsmile:

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-20, 05:50 PM
Holy crud, the Classes are synchronized!

And the website is down! Aaargh!

Porthos
2007-07-20, 07:56 PM
Holy crud, the Classes are synchronized!

And the website is down! Aaargh!

And Kaja is NOT a happy bunny about it right now....

http://kajafoglio.livejournal.com/120267.html

At a guess, it was the mass of the "101 Class" viewers constantly hitting the "Next" button as they tore through the "Main" class. Apparently it wasn't a Bandwitdh issue, but a CPU issue. They were taxing the servers to enough of a degree that the script that handles the comic was disabled.

Course this is just my take on the situation. I could be totally wrong.

Scientivore
2007-07-20, 08:18 PM
As for me, it had been so long since I read the beginning of the Advanced Class that when 101 caught up with it, I continued reading up to the double size image of the bridge at sunset.

Tirian
2007-07-20, 08:39 PM
It's probably me, trying to satisfy the mad crush I've had on Bang for about a week now. :smalleek:

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-21, 01:52 PM
Aaand it's back up!

Bryn
2007-07-21, 04:09 PM
Another reader of this great webcomic here... I don't know how I didn't like it earlier, since it has everything: great art, a great story, and (of course) airships. :smallbiggrin: Funnily enough, all three of the top webcomics on my list (OOTS, Irregular Webcomic, and Girl Genius) have involved an airship at least once...

LurkerInPlayground
2007-07-21, 05:34 PM
You forgot Dresden Codak (http://dresdencodak.com/index.htm), which is very good but also quite slow. Art is worth the wait, though.

Dresden Codak is good. Heartily recommended for its whimsical humor and references to all things scientific. Looks like Mr. DC is actually working his way into a continuous plot and breaking away from his otherwise noncontinuous gag-strip.

The forumites like to talk way too much about Transhumanism though. Although it's probably less important to them they make it out to be.

ChowGuy
2007-07-27, 12:51 PM
Aaand it's back up!

Aaaaand it's down again.:smallsigh: This time their server seems to have disabled the entire site, not just the CGI script. Nothing yet on Kaja's journal (http://kajafoglio.livejournal.com/121100.html), last entry is still from the 22nd, pre-Comicon.

*crosses fingers*

Tirian
2007-07-27, 01:00 PM
That's very strange. Switching to the main page, it's the same bandwidth overage that they had last month, but I thought they left Network Solutions.

Anyway, if you haven't had a chance to see Friday's strip, don't let it ruin your weekend. It's good, but nothing that furthers the story of either of the Heterodyne candidates.

North
2007-07-27, 06:36 PM
but now that 101 has caught up to the advance class are they going to be doing something more. I thought I remembered something about that when I started reading it.....

Krellen
2007-07-27, 06:42 PM
That's very strange. Switching to the main page, it's the same bandwidth overage that they had last month, but I thought they left Network Solutions.
Right, but this month they hit a spike because the Advanced Class and 101 synced up, which probably increased their bandwidth use by a factor of 100 while the 101 readers ran through the Advanced archives to catch up.

Tirian
2007-07-27, 07:18 PM
Yes, but my point is that it is still a Network Solutions "bandwidth allotment exceeded" message on the front page. My understanding was that they went to a different provider after they hit NS's ceiling last month, so why are their limitations still holding GG back? Poor Kaja -- I'm sure she has her hands full without all this. (I just did a Google blog search hoping that one of the con-goers knew something that she hasn't had time to stick on her LJ, but no luck.)

To North: I wouldn't particularly expect them to do something extra now that 101 is "finished". Keep in mind that those were just the first three volumes and they were done years ago, so it didn't take any effort for them to stick three pages per week up on the website for free.

Scientivore
2007-07-27, 07:22 PM
but now that 101 has caught up to the advance class are they going to be doing something more. I thought I remembered something about that when I started reading it.....

[Bah! Ninja'd!] That would be awesome but I don't remember anything like that. My understanding was that the 101 class, What's New With Phil & Dixie and Buck Godot were all serializing pre-existing stuff from before they went on the web. I wouldn't expect that process to take much of their time so I doubt that they'll be able to do more than GG when those other serials end. I'm just speculating though.

Speaking of Buck Godot, is anyone else thoroughly tired of the current storyline with the homicidal drunk or is it just me? I think that it's classic example of the difference between good pacing for collections and good pacing for serials. Must make it tough to write something like GG that will be both.

Naltyrr
2007-07-28, 08:55 PM
Yes, but my point is that it is still a Network Solutions "bandwidth allotment exceeded" message on the front page. My understanding was that they went to a different provider after they hit NS's ceiling last month, so why are their limitations still holding GG back? Poor Kaja -- I'm sure she has her hands full without all this. (I just did a Google blog search hoping that one of the con-goers knew something that she hasn't had time to stick on her LJ, but no luck.)

To North: I wouldn't particularly expect them to do something extra now that 101 is "finished". Keep in mind that those were just the first three volumes and they were done years ago, so it didn't take any effort for them to stick three pages per week up on the website for free.

if NS is their old provider, it may be a DNS problem - the server that translates www.girlgeniusonline.com has the wrong IP mapped and is sending us all to the wrong place, if so it will be an easy fix once they know about it, but until then we are pretty much out of luck unless someone snagged the IP of the new server while the record was pointing to it.

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-28, 09:05 PM
Hey, it's a disreputable (http://img12.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=97386_ggmain20070727512_122_1082lo.j pg) bootleg strip! Whee!

Gez
2007-07-29, 04:28 AM
A girl named Wilhelm... Why not Karl or Rudolph? Oh well, maybe it's her family name, not her first name.

LordShaper
2007-07-29, 08:07 AM
I loooooove this comic :smile: :smile: :biggrin: :biggrin:
When I first discovered it I spent the next two days reading the 101...then when 101 finally caught up with Advanced class I spent another two days reading the rest.
Agatha is the best:smallsmile:

Well, second best really...OOTS still has that special place in my heart:smallbiggrin:

Myrdhale
2007-07-29, 11:48 AM
T_T when on when will Girl genius be back up?

has anyone been able to see it recently? every link I try gives me the Forbiden message.

Ithekro
2007-07-29, 12:59 PM
They seem to be having a bandwidth issue and are looking into the problem. I guess this means they are doing fairly well since their server is overloaded about a week before the end of the month. They report the comic will be back at the start of the month.

Details here. (http://studiofoglio.livejournal.com/)

Porthos
2007-07-29, 01:13 PM
Abbreviated version of what happened, as near as I can figure:

Just before the 101 comic and the Main comic were set to merge, Studio Foglio started to run into bandwidth issues with their provider Network Solutions. To make a long story short, they switched to a new provider.

However, once the two comics merged, their new provider (whose name escapes me at the moment) had issues with the CPU drain that the script that the comic runs was causing their servers so they also disabled the GG page. Kaja set up a "backup comic" page back on their old provider. She had hoped that this temporary solution would hold until they got back from Comic Con. Unfortunately, they ran into bandwidth issues again with NS which nuked the backup page and the main page.

As I said, the comic broke again while they were at CC and since they had no Net access, they had no way to fix it. I suspect that since the Foglios are due back home today that they will have another temporary solution by sometime today.

If you want the long version of the story, check out the last several entries over at Kaja's LJ page: kajafoglio.livejournal.com

Scientivore
2007-07-29, 01:15 PM
That's from last month, Ithekro. :smallwink: They already switched to a different host. The current problem was initially caused by the archive script taking too much CPU on the server when GG101 caught up with the Advanced Class. From a comment on Kaja's LiveJournal (http://kajafoglio.livejournal.com/121100.html?thread=2463756#t2463756):

In one of her previous posts, Kaja said they'd changed the DNS back over to the Network Solutions host, in order to ... fix broken links, I think she said? Regardless, it was intentional, and, for some reason, necessary.

At least I assume it was necessary.

Doh! Ninja'd. Oh well, after going to the trouble of writing this I'm posting it anyway.

Tirian
2007-07-30, 09:12 AM
Still no word on the outage (at least from what I've seen), but here's today's strip:

http://kajafoglio.livejournal.com/121100.html?thread=2468364#t2468364

Myrdhale
2007-07-30, 05:45 PM
thank you =D I was worried I would miss out on some of the story.

:smallbiggrin:

Porthos
2007-07-31, 01:25 AM
And it's back up again! :smallbiggrin:

New, updated link: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/ggcomic/index.php

Let's hope that this one doesn't break anytime soon. :smallyuk:

Tirian
2007-07-31, 08:58 PM
Strangely enough, that link hasn't worked for me all day, even before you posted it, but Google just suggested this one which does return me to the land of Agatha-ey goodness:

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070730

Porthos
2007-08-03, 11:27 AM
In case people are having trouble navigating the GG site with all of the link changes and whatnot, I bring to you the latest and greatest Girl Genius Update Page:

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php

This should (for the time being at least) send you to the latest comic. :smallsmile:

Tirian
2007-08-10, 01:09 PM
Oh noes!

So what do y'all think it means? Who the heck is Agatha anyways??

theterran
2007-08-10, 02:00 PM
An Evil Robot Clone :smalleek:

gatitcz
2007-08-10, 08:24 PM
Oh noes!

So what do y'all think it means? Who the heck is Agatha anyways??

She's another sibling. A twin. Or the child was never male in the first place, and Lucrezia attacked now that she had an heir.

Rockphed
2007-08-11, 02:16 AM
My theory.

Agatha would be the dead boy's younger sister. The geisterdamen's explanation (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20051230) implies that Lucrezia was pregnant at the time. Agatha is almost exactly as old as it has been time since the attack. The boy was 407 days old on the night of the attack, plenty of time for Lucrezia to get pregnant again.

Tirian
2007-08-11, 11:49 AM
Well, I certainly hope that Agatha finds it in herself to announce when her birthday was relative to all these events, so that we can have a sense of how much of a mystery this is....

Felius
2007-08-12, 12:45 AM
I just had an insight: I got what made no sense. If the person buried there is trully the son of Lucrezia, who is the other, then it would mean that Lucrezia killed him. As she is interested in a heir for her, she wouldn't want to do that. Sorry for not being to write it well, but I'm in a serious need of sleep.

Damionte
2007-08-12, 08:10 PM
Somebody help. I'm freakign lost. This last panel in the crypt..... ? What's goign on. I didn't really follow any of that conversation. Can soemone who has a better grasp of the story explain WTF is going on? Please.... :smalleek:

Tirian
2007-08-12, 09:04 PM
Confused? You won't be!

Agatha has every reason to believe that she is the daughter of Bill Heterodyne and Lucrezia Mongfish and is the sole heir to Castle Heterodyne. However, the only child of Bill and Lucrezia that the people of Mechanicsburg know about is a son (and the old guy is making it clear that this is Bill's son and not Baron Wulfenbach's). Perhaps the town doesn't realize that that son was killed on the night that the castle was nearly destroyed by the Other. This doesn't make any sense to Agatha, who believes that Lucrezia is the Other, and cannot conceive that she would both destroy her own home and kill her son.

Anything else confusing you?

Damionte
2007-08-13, 07:56 AM
Nope. Thank you.

The names are too exotic, so i can't keep them straight.

sihnfahl
2007-08-13, 08:52 AM
I just had an insight: I got what made no sense. If the person buried there is trully the son of Lucrezia, who is the other, then it would mean that Lucrezia killed him. As she is interested in a heir for her, she wouldn't want to do that. Sorry for not being to write it well, but I'm in a serious need of sleep.
But Lucrezia may not have been the Other; like Agatha, her body may have been taken over by the Other (if it wasn't for Uncle Barry's Locket, Agatha would have become the Other).
There are two other Important Facts (which came out during that strip line). First, the body the Other inhabits has to be female. Second, it has to be compatible.

daydreamer
2007-08-21, 06:16 PM
Suddenly I can't get onto the girl genius comic, all I get is some firefox advert saying that I should get firefox internet server to view the webpage, was wondering if anyone else was suddenly getting this? I'm sure it isn't my computer as all other websites seem fine so maybe something has happened to the girl genius website itself?

Porthos
2007-08-21, 06:26 PM
Suddenly I can't get onto the girl genius comic, all I get is some firefox advert saying that I should get firefox internet server to view the webpage, was wondering if anyone else was suddenly getting this? I'm sure it isn't my computer as all other websites seem fine so maybe something has happened to the girl genius website itself?

I was surfing around earlier on the GG site when it suddenly stopped working. I thought it might be a momentary brownout, so I didn't give it another thought. However, after just checking it out now, I see the same thing you are seeing.

I guess we broke another Web Hosting Service. :smalltongue:

Kaja is probably tearing out her hair right about now.... She might need to talk to the folks over at PA or PvP and find out who they deal with, if she keeps getting this amount of trouble.

-------------
UPDATE

http://studiofoglio.livejournal.com/11016.html

Yes, yes, as you may well have noticed, the Girl Genius site has once again become too popular for its host, and is busily reconfiguring itself.

Until we get everything neat and tidy, perhaps it's time to read Buck Godot (http://www.studiofoglio.com/cgi/buck.cgi), which is hosted on a different server.

Back soon!

Yes, Kaja... Have the Hodres break your other long running comic. That sounds like a wonderful idea. :smallamused:

Seriously though, I do feel sympathy for them. They just got back from Gen Con, and now they have this to deal with. Actually, now that I think about it, it could very well be the newly found fans from Gen Con breaking the site.

Kaja really should be looking into getting a second hampster to help power their servers. :smalltongue:

daydreamer
2007-08-21, 06:39 PM
Ah well that solves it, broke another server, too darn popular for its own good, oops....

Hankosha
2007-08-22, 05:46 PM
It's back up now.

North
2007-08-22, 06:30 PM
Liar!:smalltongue: its still broken for me. They keep trying to sell me some sort of reptile.

dogmac
2007-08-22, 06:51 PM
Bwahahahahahaha!!! And I was one of the ones who saw it and broke it before you could :smallamused:

Porthos
2007-08-22, 07:30 PM
Liar!:smalltongue: its still broken for me. They keep trying to sell me some sort of reptile.

If I had to guess, I would say that the new DNS address hasn't fully propagated throughout the Net yet. I know there are several people on the GG Yahoo Group List that can see the comic just fine. Sadly, I cannot. At least yet.

However if you happen to be a member of the aforementioned Yahoo Group, you can see today's comic since one of the members has temporarily put it up for a short while.

Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/girlgenius/files/GGpages/ (Members Only) and look for the only file that is in the folder.

Like I said, I wouldn't expect it to stay there once the GG site is fully restored. :smallsmile:

North
2007-08-22, 09:08 PM
It worked form a link from thier other comic. Which is pretty funny as well :smallbiggrin:

Glawackus
2007-08-25, 03:04 PM
I haven't got the guts to inform my friends I enjoy this ("It's called what?!"), but man, Girl Genius is some good stuff. I finally got caught up to the Advanced Class pages, and I'm lovin' it more than ever.

Eldpollard
2007-08-25, 07:03 PM
Does anyone know why the site for it is down again?

Porthos
2007-08-25, 08:54 PM
Does anyone know why the site for it is down again?

It's not down (at least it isn't for me), but it does look like they are playing around with the link that directs to the current page.

Here is the current "latest" page: http://girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php

And her is their main home page: http://girlgeniusonline.com

Tirian
2007-08-25, 08:55 PM
Site works fine for me. Kaja seems to suggest that they switched to a dedicated server, so maybe you were either checking during the switch or for another round of DNS propogation.

I haven't got the guts to inform my friends I enjoy this ("It's called what?!"), but man, Girl Genius is some good stuff. I finally got caught up to the Advanced Class pages, and I'm lovin' it more than ever.

Agatha spends a significant portion of the first three volumes in her underwear. I don't think your friends would think less of you for being a fan. :smallamused:

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2007-08-25, 10:34 PM
You have to get through preconceived notions before you can explain/show them that, though, Tirian. Vicious cycle.

sihnfahl
2007-08-27, 10:22 AM
Agatha spends a significant portion of the first three volumes in her underwear. I don't think your friends would think less of you for being a fan. :smallamused:
She spends a significant portion of the first three volumes in her underwear, constantly getting exposed to complete strangers...

(I'm thinking she had a subconcious exhibitionism thing going on...)

Mewtarthio
2007-08-28, 08:26 PM
You have to get through preconceived notions before you can explain/show them that, though, Tirian. Vicious cycle.

No, the trick is to avoid mentioning the name until they're so curious they're begging you to tell them. "So I've been reading this webcomic starring a girl who runs around in her underwear..."

Or just set an appropriate image as your backdrop. Either Agatha in her underwear or Agatha playing the pipe organ in the massive fight against Klaus.

RandomNPC
2007-09-02, 09:44 PM
oddly i found GG just before the breakdown thing. now that they have a dedicated server i can't get the GG beginer 101 classes to come up, AOL keeps telling me i have a 404 error, the link points nowhere, and then they try to sell me female oriented IQ tests.

Porthos
2007-09-02, 10:49 PM
oddly i found GG just before the breakdown thing. now that they have a dedicated server i can't get the GG beginer 101 classes to come up, AOL keeps telling me i have a 404 error, the link points nowhere, and then they try to sell me female oriented IQ tests.

The links to the relevent "101" pages were being redirected after a couple of the transfers, but with the latest move, none of the redirects are working right now. To be a bit more technical, under the current setup there is no "101" or "Advanced" comic. Everything is under one banner now. And with so many server moves (and more importantly, rewrites to the script that handles the comic), a lot of the old links are just plain broken.

Anyway, here is the beginning to the comic: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021104

If you can tell us where you were last at in the (what used to be called 101 pages), I can give you a link to (more or less) that location in the archives. :smallsmile:

[NOTE:: There is also a Drop Bar Navigation Menu near the bottom of the comic. In it, they give (potentially slightly spoily) descriptions of the comic in question. A good way to think of them is as Chapter Headings or Chapter Descriptions. :smallsmile: ]

Lord Iames Osari
2007-09-16, 11:26 PM
"Q.E. DUH."

Oh God, that was perfect. :smallbiggrin:

Santino18
2007-09-21, 11:32 AM
GG is brillaint. I never buy ANYTHING and I bought some of their stuff. And the Jagers are the best things ever.

"Dats en eenterztink metafyzikal queztion......"

Tirian
2007-09-21, 04:10 PM
GG is brillaint. I never buy ANYTHING and I bought some of their stuff. And the Jagers are the best things ever.

"Dats en eenterztink metafyzikal queztion......"

Hoo boy, yez. My favorite strip that doesn't contain Bang (i.e. my sixth favorite strip) is this one (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20050808).

Santino18
2007-09-22, 09:40 PM
My favorite was always Clenk Gun (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20030430)

Gez
2007-09-25, 05:27 AM
"Gentleman adven-- WHAT AM I DOING!?"

Win. :smallbiggrin:

Vondre
2007-09-25, 06:47 AM
Hoo boy, yez. My favorite strip that doesn't contain Bang (i.e. my sixth favorite strip) is this one (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20050808).

Same here. But wait... maybe I'm just dim, but who's Bang?

Recursive
2007-09-25, 10:47 AM
Same here. But wait... maybe I'm just dim, but who's Bang?

Bangladesh Dupree, Klaus's ex-pirate-queen assassin. Who, it just occurred to me, is clearly Belkar's cross-dimensional soulmate.

Vondre
2007-09-25, 07:52 PM
D'oh! I'm used to her being called just "Dupree." I guess that's what confused me.

Tirian
2007-09-25, 10:54 PM
"Gentleman adven-- WHAT AM I DOING!?"

Win. :smallbiggrin:

I like the footnote "Note -- this joke worked a lot better in radio." I spent half of last week wondering in what way sending Othar into oblivious peril could be part of Agatha's plan, and the weekend wondering how it could have escaped her notice that that was the villainess.

Bangladesh Dupree, Klaus's ex-pirate-queen assassin. Who, it just occurred to me, is clearly Belkar's cross-dimensional soulmate.

I wish. Belkar Bitterleaf is a pathetic poser, and Phil Foglio has shown us the true face of a chaotic evil henchman of a good-hearted leader. Roy and Belkar, frex, would never have this conversation (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20041231), because Belkar is always delicate enough to ask permission before doing something sadistic. Belkar can't even kill a redshirt in the course of escaping from an unjust imprisonment without everyone getting their panties in a knot, so actually killing a named (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040830) character (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040901) is something that BB only fantasizes about. Finally, Belkar is such a wuss that he sets up Roy's punchlines for him, while Bang steps up to the plate and delivers the (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040123) best (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20050103) lines (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060320) in the story.

Game, set, match: Bangladesh DuPree.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-09-25, 11:42 PM
You (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20061101) forgot (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20061108) these. (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070718)

Yeah, DuPree is brilliant.

Santino18
2007-09-29, 01:36 PM
Yay! Fillers over!

dakiwiboid
2007-09-29, 01:47 PM
My favorites are the Coffee Engine series, which starts here (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070523).

Vulion
2007-09-30, 06:49 PM
Girl Genius is an awesome webcomic, with a very good stroyline told in a method I would hope to emulate.

Also, Dupree is frickin' AWESOME!!!

Human Paragon 3
2007-09-30, 07:18 PM
Bangladesh Dupree is totally my comic-crush. And Gil is my man crush. I can't wait to get back to the actual story... tomorrow, or maybe tonight at midnight... woohoo!

Porthos
2007-10-05, 12:45 PM
You'd think a person like Wooster, more than anyone, would remember why they are called Mad Scientists. :smallamused:

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20071005

I guess Master Gilgamesh didn't exactly follow in his fathers footsteps when it came to boring holes into people's heads when he wanted to relax: :smalltongue:

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040107
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040109

Santino18
2007-10-06, 10:45 AM
All I gots to say is

Agatha+Power Tools = Teh Sexeh!

Lord Iames Osari
2007-10-06, 03:18 PM
You'd think a person like Wooster, more than anyone, would remember why they are called Mad Scientists. :smallamused:

Especially (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060301) after (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060303) this (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060306).

Gez
2007-10-08, 05:36 AM
"It has been 437215353 seconds since this system was last activated."

How useful! Saying 13 years, 10 months and one week would have been so much less precise.

Mr Foglio is still a master of mad science.

sihnfahl
2007-10-08, 09:35 AM
Mr Foglio is still a master of mad science.
I also love the interface. "Rheeeee..... RHUNCH!"

Nothing says efficiency like a direct neural interface. I'm sure the pain and blood loss are slated to be corrected at some point in the future. It SHOULD kill the user in the end...

Gez
2007-10-08, 02:23 PM
It SHOULD kill the user in the end...

Well, it may happen. Old Carson is directly connected to Castle Heterodyne's AI (for lack of a more steampunkish term). Zola the impostress is going to try to kill this AI (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070801).

sihnfahl
2007-10-08, 02:29 PM
Well, it may happen. Old Carson is directly connected to Castle Heterodyne's AI (for lack of a more steampunkish term). Zola the impostress is going to try to kill this AI (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070801).
Course, they don't know where the main system is or its defenses. They also don't know that Agatha's downstairs, ready to try to get the castle under her control...
... now, won't that be fun.

Oracle_Hunter
2007-10-09, 09:44 PM
I've got to say, I love how the Foglios really play the Heterodynes straight. At the beginning, with all of the Victorian Heroics of the Heterodyne Boys and Agatha's own heroic-ness, it was a real shock to see Mechanicsburg look (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070307) like (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070420) this (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070601)... yet it's so appropriate.

This last comic really makes you wonder whether Othar is right after all...

Santino18
2007-10-10, 10:31 AM
Bah! Othar Tregvassen, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER is ALWAYS right. Except of course for when he's wrong. So very....very.... wrong.

Porthos
2007-10-10, 10:17 PM
Speaking of Othar, he's been recording his adventures, in diary form, over on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/Othar

And it is absolutely hi-lair-i-ous. :smallcool:

The only downside is that the postings are newest to oldest, so if you want to read the "archives" you have to navigate manually to the earliest page and then read from bottom to top on each page.

But it is well, well, worth it. Quite frankly I hope more people try to put out their stories via Twitter. It's an awesome concept that Cheyenne thought of. :)

And the good thing is that it's updated (nearly) every day. Except when Cheyenne is out of town, or similar situations.

"Bashing heads for Justice!!!" indeed. :D

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-10, 10:32 PM
Othar's Twitter is, indeed, excellent. I actually really, really, really dig the art in the last few comics, especially the effect of the breath leaving the mouth. The coloring is especially good. I think this might be the best artwork in the series so far.

Tirian
2007-10-11, 03:06 PM
This last comic really makes you wonder whether Othar is right after all...

Oh, I don't think there's any doubt that he is, or that Klaus is "right" to conduct fiendish research into removing the Spark. Madboys are a total blight on peace and security, for all of the benefits that the beneficial ones provide. Amusingly, it is their own Spark that cause Othar and Klaus (and Agatha and nearly every other Spark we've seen) to tend to take the germ of a good idea and extrapolate it beyond the limits of common sense.

Gez
2007-10-11, 04:15 PM
Well, Klaus Wulfenbach is a stalwart defender of peace and security. He's pretty much the image of the enlightened despot: while he may be ruthless and tyrannical, he's doing it in the interest of stability and for the long-term common good. You'd say that many evil dictators have claimed to only pursue the common good, and that's true; but Klaus actually does it. He's not deluded, he's not hypocritical, he's not corrupt.

What I'm saying is illustrated by this strip. (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20061101)

eMpTy Kay
2007-10-14, 11:25 PM
As nice as the cover of the coffee package is. I would rather more store!

:smallsmile: just a little excited to see the castle in action....

sihnfahl
2007-10-14, 11:41 PM
Agreed! It's time to see what this mechanical marvel is actually up to... well, other than helping the Baron get rid of the undesireables in creative ways.

Porthos
2007-10-14, 11:50 PM
As nice as the cover of the coffee package is. I would rather more store!

They probably had a filler up because they were in Illinois over the weekend. (http://studiofoglio.livejournal.com/12304.html)

That's my best guess, at any rate. :smallsmile:

sun_tzu
2007-10-16, 04:46 AM
Well, Klaus Wulfenbach is a stalwart defender of peace and security. He's pretty much the image of the enlightened despot: while he may be ruthless and tyrannical, he's doing it in the interest of stability and for the long-term common good. You'd say that many evil dictators have claimed to only pursue the common good, and that's true; but Klaus actually does it. He's not deluded, he's not hypocritical, he's not corrupt.

What I'm saying is illustrated by this strip. (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20061101)

Quoted for truth.
I'd say Klaus in a LN ruler who got an unfair reputation as a LE tyrant.

Oracle_Hunter
2007-10-16, 10:40 PM
Quoted for truth.
I'd say Klaus in a LN ruler who got an unfair reputation as a LE tyrant.

No, he's more of a LN tyrant than LE anything. I think we can all agree that Bang is CE though...

And while we're at it:
Agatha - LG... for now
Gil - NG
Jaegers - LN
Krosp - N
Othar - CG
Zeetha - LG
Zola - CN

*phew* anyone else want to take a crack at it?

EDIT: So, the strip is down today, but up at this mirror (http://people.virginia.edu/~abb3w/GG/ggmain20071017b.jpg). Figured I'd do a little public service, for those who didn't catch it at midnight :smallbiggrin:

dakiwiboid
2007-10-17, 04:26 PM
The site's been again since this morning. However, the Foglios announced that they'll be mirroring the comics in future from this LJ account (http://girlgeniuscomic.livejournal.com/profile).

Dr Strangelove
2007-10-23, 07:47 AM
I have just read the entire archive in three hours. Pretty good, but...did anyone else find Tarvel's (or whatever his name was, the redhead guy who had a robot sister who wasn't really his sister) motives hard to understand? I had no idea WHO he was double-crossing, at any point.

Time for some aspirin.

Dorizzit
2007-10-23, 07:56 AM
Yeah, that was one of the more confusing segments.

Oracle_Hunter
2007-10-23, 08:53 AM
Yeah, that was one of the more confusing segments.

Hmm... perhaps spoilery

Well, I think this possibly shows his (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060526) "grand plan" once he gets straightened out.

Tardek's original motivations were much more commonplace (keep his father safe, limit his crazy actions), though I think he planned to reclaim the mantle of the Storm King from the beginning. However, once he found himself riding the tiger of The Other, he was really concerned about his (and Agatha's) own survivals.

Much of the confusion probably extends from the fact that Tardek suddenly found himself in an exposition-heavy relationship with two ancient and powerful forces: the Heterodyne and the Other. Oh, and love, don't forget that :smallbiggrin:

Dorizzit
2007-10-23, 10:14 AM
I know. I understood it, just with more difficulty.

TheMeanDM
2007-10-26, 04:53 PM
Love this comic.
Art is amazing.
Story is super awesome.
Ideas are wicked original.
Updates are regular.

Klanks FTW!!

Man, how "sick" an imagination those two must have to come up with the idea behind the Throne....and how the Senschal taps into it

"I'm the one with the special holes drilled him his head!"

Dorizzit
2007-10-26, 04:55 PM
"Oh...fine! Maybe I just won't kill anyone at all!"

Priceless.

Tirian
2007-10-26, 05:16 PM
"... You like to wear women's clothing."

I really like this castle.

Dorizzit
2007-10-26, 05:18 PM
Yeah, the castle is my 4th favorite character (so hard to choose).

Porthos
2007-10-26, 06:20 PM
After seeing the castle in action, it's very easy to see where the jägermonsters got their attitudes.

I might actually be interested in seeing the Old School Heterodynes (i.e. pre Bill and Barry) in action. From a distance. A long distance away. A very long distance away. With a huge amount of distracting things between us. :smallwink:

Jack Mann
2007-10-26, 08:20 PM
With a huge amount of distracting things between us. :smallwink:

No, no, you want the distracting things on the other side of the Heterodynes. Between you and them, and it'll just attract their attention in your direction. They'll get to you eventually.

Dorizzit
2007-10-26, 08:55 PM
Maybe watching through a time viewer like the one Agatha will develop...

Porthos
2007-10-26, 08:59 PM
No, no, you want the distracting things on the other side of the Heterodynes. Between you and them, and it'll just attract their attention in your direction. They'll get to you eventually.

Well, the whole point of the shiny toys was that they'll be preoccupied with them while I move to a safer distance. :smalltongue:

TheMeanDM
2007-10-27, 10:32 AM
But is there anywhere that's truly safe when mad genius is involved?

:eek:

Dorizzit
2007-10-27, 11:04 AM
Not if they're a pre-redemption Heterodyne, that's for sure.

Occasional Sage
2007-10-28, 05:08 AM
Would somebody remind me where we've seen Daimant before? His name is only vaguely familiar, and a browse of the last eight or so arcs doesn't find him.

Maybe I'm just being blind, but....

Luvlein
2007-10-28, 05:15 AM
I don't remember him, I thought it was his first appearance.
His name (Diamant) is obviously German for diamond, however.

Grey_Wolf_c
2007-10-28, 07:08 AM
This is likely the wrong place to ask but, can anyone tell me what is so relevant that the boy Heterodyne heir was born 2 years and 3 months after the Baron disappeared? And why would people ignore the maths?

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070810

Way I see it "Baron disappearing" is tied to Lucrezia's and Bill's wedding. So the baby was born two years after that. Which obviously means that it cannot be the Baron's son - but why would anyone assume that, or ignore the maths is beyond me. I suppose I just don't get why the Baron is involved (do they really think that the dead heir was actually the Baron's? Was the Baron's and Lucrezia's relationship that publically known?) , and how that affects Agatha's claim to be heir.

My theory is, Lucrezia went on a killing spree and almost destroyed the castle when her second child (a.k.a. Agatha) was born and turned out to be a girl (so she was the Other's heir, as well as a Heterodyne). But how 207 staff members of the castle missed Lucrezia being pregnant weakens this theory. And I still don't know the timescale of all this - Agatha is 18 or so, but not sure when the castle blowing up, the Baron returning and so on actually happened relative to her birth.

So, to cut a long-winded explanaition short, can anyone help me here?

Thanks,

Grey Wolf

Dorizzit
2007-10-28, 07:41 AM
Can't really help with a lot of that, but I do know that it has been said that her age checks out several times.

Oracle_Hunter
2007-10-28, 11:14 AM
This is likely the wrong place to ask but, can anyone tell me what is so relevant that the boy Heterodyne heir was born 2 years and 3 months after the Baron disappeared? And why would people ignore the maths?

Okay.
1) The average human gestation period is 9 months.
2) Lucretzia & Klaus were lovers (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20041210) before Lucretzia married Bill Heterodyne.
3) Lucretzia is a classic Vamp (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.TheVamp)
4) Lucretzia's only widely known child is named "Klaus B. Heterodyne (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070810)"

To put it all together - a child named after a former lover will start rumors that the child is illegitimate. Particularly if said child dies soon after birth, so nobody sees whom the child takes after.

Needless to say, a child born 2+ years after the alleged cuckold vanished cannot be his child - so it would stop the rumors if anyone "did the maths"

Hope that helps :smallsmile:

EDIT: The purpose of the line in question was to be a joke - an example of Phil's famous ability to get Getting Crap Past The Radar (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.GettingCrapPastTheRadar) when not providing out-and-out Fanservice (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.Fanservice) :smallbiggrin:

~No plot has harmed in the making of this post~

Tirian
2007-10-28, 12:17 PM
Can't really help with a lot of that, but I do know that it has been said that her age checks out several times.

It "checks out" in the sense that it is generally consistent with Lucrezia being pregnant with Agatha when the castle was attacked and taking refuge with the Geisterdamen for the remainder of her term. It doesn't mean that Bill is her father, although it would be alarming if she weren't actually a Heterodyne of some sort.

Dorizzit
2007-10-28, 12:28 PM
I know. I was only talking about the fact that her age has been confirmed as consistent.

Occasional Sage
2007-10-28, 02:41 PM
I don't remember him, I thought it was his first appearance.
His name (Diamant) is obviously German for diamond, however.

I find his sudden appearance in the deserted, presumably-little-known crypts to be awfully convenient. Also, the blonde lady with him seems to know who Agatha is; granted there is the conversation between Agatha and Faustus/the Castle, but she seemed to accept that idea very easily. That suggests to me that we've met Diamant and whomever-she-is previously.

Or, I suppose, Carson was in contact with Diamant. They obviously know one another and seem to be on decent terms, so perhaps he was called to appear at the Throne?

meh. They'll make it clear soon enough I'm sure.

Occasional Sage
2007-10-28, 02:51 PM

Because people are drawn to both conspiracy theories and celebrity gossip. The fact that it's not possible gets in the way of a juicy story, so it gets glossed over or explained away. Heck, most of the people doing the gossiping are likely to be getting their Heterodyne news third- or fourth-hand, so who knows what they hear and what they believe?

Also, on something of a tangent, Gil seems to be very close to Agatha in age. Perhaps the disappearance is when Klaus traveled to Skifander to protect Gil, since he expects that Zeetha is here as an assassin. Not an idea I've seen kicked around the forum, any thoughts?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-10-28, 03:10 PM
Also, on something of a tangent, Gil seems to be very close to Agatha in age. Perhaps the disappearance is when Klaus traveled to Skarmander (sp?) to protect Gil, since he expects that Zeetha is here as an assassin. Not an idea I've seen kicked around the forum, any thoughts?

The most prevalent theory on the Yahoo discussion group seems to be that when Klaus disappeared, he went to Skifander, where he hooked up with some local chick (possibly a bigwig), with Gil resulting. He then left Skifander, taking Gil with him, and he expects Zeetha to be an assassin sent to kill Gill for reasons that I can't quite recall. Something to do with Skifander being a (presumably) matriarchal society.

Oracle_Hunter
2007-10-28, 03:12 PM
Also, on something of a tangent, Gil seems to be very close to Agatha in age. Perhaps the disappearance is when Klaus traveled to Skarmander (sp?) to protect Gil, since he expects that Zeetha is here as an assassin. Not an idea I've seen kicked around the forum, any thoughts?

Seems fairly reasonable. I'd agree that, while being vanished, Klaus spent some time in Skifander. I think that Klaus actually found a wife in Skifander, explaining his long disappearance, why he hasn't seen his wife in years (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040114), and why he was carrying an infant Gil when he rejoined Europe (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040804).

As to assassins (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070716) - well, since the Skifander are probably a Warrior Race (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.ProudWarriorRaceGuy), I'd wager that Klaus left Skifander because he had heard of the Wasp Wars and wanted to see what happened. His abrupt appearance may have brought down the wrath of his wife, who wants her child back or dead. Alternatively, said culture may have forbidden such a pairing, and Klaus fled to protect the fruit of the union.

Of course, all of this is Wild Mass Guessing (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/WildMassGuessing?from=Main.WildMassGuessing) but I wouldn't be surprised to find it (or something like it) to be the case.

EDIT: Well, looks like this theory is supported by the Wisdom of Crowds too!

Tirian
2007-10-28, 03:39 PM
I think Gil is a little older, having gone to school in Paris. If you wanted to get in on the ground floor of a wild conspiracy, perhaps he is K.B. Heterodyne, resurrected by the Baron.

Oracle_Hunter
2007-10-28, 03:46 PM
I think Gil is a little older, having gone to school in Paris. If you wanted to get in on the ground floor of a wild conspiracy, perhaps he is K.B. Heterodyne, resurrected by the Baron.

No, I think I'll go with the "Agatha is a distaff (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.DistaffCounterpart) clone of Bill Heterodyne who went back in time and married Lucretzia's father, Dr. Mongfish, dying while giving birth to Lucretzia" crazy theory.

I can't believe anyone in the whole Internet has put that one down yet!

EDIT: Still works, since Klaus disappeared a whole 2 years and 3 months before the K.B.'s birth, and it was still an additional 407 days until the Attack happened. Besides, who else was on Klaus's back in his flashback?

Occasional Sage
2007-10-29, 09:39 AM
the Wisdom of Crowds

Um... you DO know that you find the IQ of a group by taking the average intelligence and dividing by the number of members, right? :smallwink:

sihnfahl
2007-10-29, 09:56 AM
Also, the blonde lady with him seems to know who Agatha is; granted there is the conversation between Agatha and Faustus/the Castle, but she seemed to accept that idea very easily. That suggests to me that we've met Diamant and whomever-she-is previously.
We have (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070620) seen her before. Diamant, we had not seen before (hence his hesitance to believe that Agatha's a Heterodyne).

Or, I suppose, Carson was in contact with Diamant. They obviously know one another and seem to be on decent terms, so perhaps he was called to appear at the Throne?
Nope; unnamed girl presumably fetched Diamant at the orders of Carson, so as to be able to get Agatha inside once Carson was done with the Throne.

Oracle_Hunter
2007-10-29, 10:26 AM
Um... you DO know that you find the IQ of a group by taking the average intelligence and dividing by the number of members, right? :smallwink:

Oooo, social science information moment!

The "wisdom of crowds" is an idea you can see in action in the "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" Poll lifeline. The theory here is that if you independently poll a sufficiently large group of people on a question, a majority (or plurality) of them will choose the correct answer.

The pitfall of this idea is the "independent" part. It has been shown that, even if they should know better, people tend to go with the consensus, if they can see it. Thus, if you ask a large group of people serially, and Person A (choosing randomly) says X, and Person B (who doesn't know either) not wanting to look bad, also says X. With other sufficient controls, you can actually get people to say Black is White.

This Social Science Moment was brought to you by the word Paranoia! and the number 1984. Remember, Computer is your Friend and Big Brother is Watching You :smallbiggrin:

PS - So, about Girl Genius: awesome art today. Man, you gotta love the grittiness of Phil's art!

EDIT: The pitfall mentioned above is referred to as an "Informational Cascade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_cascade)." Now, you too can influence people by dint of jargon! Become a Wikspert (http://humanized.com/weblog/2007/09/05/wikspert/) today!

Occasional Sage
2007-10-29, 11:27 AM
Ah. I'm familiar with the concept, but not the term. Thanks!

Occasional Sage
2007-10-29, 11:29 AM
PS - So, about Girl Genius: awesome art today. Man, you gotta love the grittiness of Phil's art!

Yeah, I've been a fan of Phil's since What's New in Dragon, lo these many years ago. I really liked the black-and-white GG days, but I couldn't complain about the full-color stuff if you paid me.

Occasional Sage
2007-10-29, 10:54 PM
We have (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070620) seen her before. Diamant, we had not seen before (hence his hesitance to believe that Agatha's a Heterodyne).

Nope; unnamed girl presumably fetched Diamant at the orders of Carson, so as to be able to get Agatha inside once Carson was done with the Throne.

Forgot to post this earlier: thanks! I hadn't put her together with the lady at the coffee shop, that makes everything fall into place.

sihnfahl
2007-10-29, 11:21 PM
Forgot to post this earlier: thanks! I hadn't put her together with the lady at the coffee shop, that makes everything fall into place.
That's one thing I like about the artwork... you can generally tell the characters apart! They're pretty unique looking, except for the ones who're supposed to be Nameless Mooks (and even then, they tend to have little touches here and there).

There are some other webartists who ... can't quite say that.

Oracle_Hunter
2007-10-29, 11:27 PM
That's one thing I like about the artwork... you can generally tell the characters apart! They're pretty unique looking, except for the ones who're supposed to be Nameless Mooks (and even then, they tend to have little touches here and there).

I think my favorite thing about Foglio art is how rich it is. The backgrounds are elegantly populated, the characters costumes are beautifully done - why even in the black and white panels they look amazing!

Of course, the Foglios always do get top-notch colorists. Still, I have to say I loved the "retro" Buck Godot coloration (more so than the arc starting up) but perhaps that's because I'm an old fogey :smallbiggrin:

Pardon for the gushing, but I'm so happy that there are some webcomics I read which are really, really well done.

Occasional Sage
2007-10-30, 01:29 AM

Mooks...

Bland, unoriginal, lacking in distinguishing characteristics...

Shouldn't that be mookies?

Oh wait, wrong thread.

Really, I agree totally. Foglio art has always stood out for its depth and character. Heck, they even made M:TG cards cool(ish) for a bit!

Occasional Sage
2007-10-30, 11:11 PM
Constructive question: Why is Vole so anti-Heterodyne? Or if not, very pro-Wulfenbach?

Totally lacking in value: ARRRRRRRRGGHHH!!!!! They changed scenes on us! Go back, GO BACK!!!

[/frantic searching for more about the crypt]

[frantic searching for more about the crypt]

Talyn
2007-10-31, 09:17 AM
Ah, Oracle, I love TVtropes.org! And, for that matter, Girl Genius!

Personally, I want to see more Othar Trygsvassen... I know he's sort of a villain, but I can't help but really like him. Especially when he spends his time saving the day and being delightfully Genre Savvy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GenreSavvy).

Oracle_Hunter
2007-10-31, 11:29 AM
Constructive question: Why is Vole so anti-Heterodyne? Or if not, very pro-Wulfenbach?

Judging by this page (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070613) it would seem that Vole gave up on the Heterodynes returning and probably nurses a deep sense of betrayal. This would explain his unstoppable rage (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070627) upon confirming her identity.

If you will, Vole is not the type to "forgive and forget" - while the other Jaegers are the ultimate doormats for Heterodynes. :smallwink:

BTW, I don't think Vole is very Pro-Wulfenbach so much as Anti-Heterodyne for the above reason. After all, he disobeyed orders by trying to kill Agatha when he confirmed she was a Heterodyne.

Tirian
2007-10-31, 12:03 PM

Totally lacking in value: ARRRRRRRRGGHHH!!!!! They changed scenes on us! Go back, GO BACK!!!

We don't yet know what Vole's story is -- he was banished from the Jagerkind, but it has not yet been revealed if this is a cause or an effect of his hated for the Heterodyne family. He's pro-Wulfenbach because, well, he's an employee of the Baron, as a member of the Mechanicsburg occupation force.

And there is to be no complaining when Gil gets a scene. This is a good thing, so just sit down and drink your goddamned tea.

Occasional Sage
2007-10-31, 12:59 PM
And there is to be no complaining when Gil gets a scene. This is a good thing, so just sit down and drink your goddamned tea.

lol

My goddamned tea and I are enjoying this chair, thank you very much! I'll certainly admit it's a great page; I like Gil a lot (almost as much as Klaus), and there's some interesting development going on here. He started out chafing under his father's thumb, and but for the first time is expressing a sense that he's growing past him.

It's the redirection from the trepanation-requiring macihne that's hurting me; that thing is tres spiffy!

Oh, and good point about Vole not beign pro-Wulfenbach, Oracle_Hunter. I'd missed that implication.

dakiwiboid
2007-10-31, 01:05 PM
Personally, I want to see more Othar Trygsvassen... I know he's sort of a villain

The newly-updated Cast page now classifies him as a Wandering Monster. :smallbiggrin:

Occasional Sage
2007-10-31, 03:31 PM
The newly-updated Cast page now classifies him as a Wandering Monster. :smallbiggrin:

*snerk*

That's awesome!

Gez
2007-10-31, 05:51 PM
I'll certainly admit it's a great page; I like Gil a lot (almost as much as Klaus)

One great thing about Foglio's art is that you can see in their faces that Gilgamesh and Klaus are related -- yet they both have their own face anyway, it's not like a cheap manga ripoff where everybody has the same head shape.

This, despite the cartoony, over-the-top graphical style. That's true talent. :smallcool:

sihnfahl
2007-11-01, 10:16 AM
Oh, there's value here. Notice something? Gil thought he knew Vole. And Klaus thought Gil knew Vole.

Klaus: "Vole?! CAPTAIN VOLE? You sent HIM to fetch the HETERODYNE girl? Great heavens. That solves everything. Well, it's what I would have done, myself. It seems I have misjudged you. Well done, son."

Gil: "You just went stomping in there and tried to ARREST her, didn't you?"

Gil doesn't know Vole wanted to kill Agatha, then threatened to kill everyone when she be-Coffee'd Vole.

Klaus knew Vole would kill Agatha. It would get rid of Lucrezia, stop the Heterodyne stuff, and bring order back to Europa. Solves everything.

Except for one thing. Gil being in love with Agatha. Wait until Gil finds out Vole tried to kill Agatha, and his dad expecting Vole to do the deed.

Occasional Sage
2007-11-01, 11:31 AM
Oh, there's value here. Notice something? Gil thought he knew Vole. And Klaus thought Gil knew Vole.

Klaus: "Vole?! CAPTAIN VOLE? You sent HIM to fetch the HETERODYNE girl? Great heavens. That solves everything. Well, it's what I would have done, myself. It seems I have misjudged you. Well done, son."

Gil: "You just went stomping in there and tried to ARREST her, didn't you?"

Gil doesn't know Vole wanted to kill Agatha, then threatened to kill everyone when she be-Coffee'd Vole.

Klaus knew Vole would kill Agatha. It would get rid of Lucrezia, stop the Heterodyne stuff, and bring order back to Europa. Solves everything.

Except for one thing. Gil being in love with Agatha. Wait until Gil finds out Vole tried to kill Agatha, and his dad expecting Vole to do the deed.

Fun twist, I want to see that one!

Although to be fair, Vole didn't get homicidal until Agatha irritated him. Sure, he threatened to shoot people until she identified herself, but... y'know, I'm not sure where I was going with this. :smallconfused:

sihnfahl
2007-11-01, 11:38 AM
Fun twist, I want to see that one!
Although to be fair, Vole didn't get homicidal until Agatha irritated him. Sure, he threatened to shoot people until she identified herself, but... y'know, I'm not sure where I was going with this. :smallconfused:
He threatened to kill everyone until she revealed herself (which meant that the first person he killed could have been her!). The moment she revealed herself, he got ready to shoot her. She splashed him with coffee in protest.

"Dem hyu! Now I vill not just keel HYU - now I keel efferyvun!"

I'm feeling that Vole wants to get rid of the Heterodyne family - and Klaus knows it.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-11-02, 09:18 PM
Hehe... love this latest strip, especially Gil's expression in the second-to-last panel.

Oracle_Hunter
2007-11-03, 07:26 AM
Hehe... love this latest strip, especially Gil's expression in the second-to-last panel.

Dem Wulfenbachs know theyrs reaktion shots (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070709), hoo boy! :smallbiggrin:

BTW, when is national "Talk Like a Jaegermonster Day?" I've got to warm up :smallcool:

Vondre
2007-11-05, 08:16 AM
I officially steal Vole's quote from today's comic for my sig. It's just too great.

Porthos
2007-11-07, 01:17 AM
And the Jäger fans can rejoice! :smallbiggrin:

Not to mention fans of Ridiculously Over The Top Huge Ass Machinery. :smalltongue:

Human Paragon 3
2007-11-07, 01:49 AM
What the hell is that thing???

Porthos
2007-11-07, 02:20 AM

Mr. Tock's Angry Older Brother?

Occasional Sage
2007-11-07, 02:50 AM

Gil's sparky overreaction to the Jagers.

I love the way the personality traits inherent in being a spark bleed over in the characters. All of them. It's done differently for each, but when you see the common denominator it's so clear.

This is the beauty of age and experience in action. I'm tempted to open a Mackeson just to toast the Foglios.

EDIT TO ADD:

Mr. Tock's Angry Older Brother?

Perhaps the best answer possible.

chionophile
2007-11-07, 07:21 PM
Gil's sparky overreaction to the Jagers.

That is most definitely not Gil's clank. It most likely belongs to the "real players" he mentioned in the previous strip.

Dorizzit
2007-11-07, 07:32 PM
No, it's the Dragon from Mars, back to wreak a horrible vengeance on all things heterodyne!

Dhavaer
2007-11-07, 08:27 PM
No, it's the Dragon from Mars, back to wreak a horrible vengeance on all things heterodyne!

Wait, you don't mean the Void Dragon, do you?

Dorizzit
2007-11-07, 08:32 PM
No, I mean this (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20030811) handsome fellow.

Mordan
2007-11-08, 02:07 AM
I only started reading this a few weeks ago, after seeing on Rich's main page where he comments on them being at the convention and became instantly hooked. I've now read from 1 thru today twice completely through.

I haven't read this entire thread, but I have read most of the first few and last few pages of it, and time and again people comment on the "black and white" pages being better drawn, better style, blah blah. I think perhaps they miss the point of the black and white pages. It's a Wizard of Oz thing. When Doroth was in Oz, she was in color, but in Kansas she was black and white. When Agatha has her spark suppressed, she is black and white. Once the amulet from her uncle is stolen, she goes color. This can be seen when her uncle gives her the amulet in the flashback. She is humming and in color, then puts the amulet on and the colors fade from the page until the flashback is over.

I'm anxious to hear more about where Agatha came from though. The baby that was born was a male and died less then a year later, and yet Punch and Judy believe Agatha to be a Heterodyne, as do all the Jager that meet her. I'm just having a hard time reconciling the two, unless there were twins and they kept it quiet (which I find hard to believe, since the care taker would have known). And when does her cousin and the rest of the surviving kids rejoin her? I'm not downing her new "family" at all, but she seems awfully quick to just forget about the kids who sacrificed so much to help her escape to begin with.

dakiwiboid
2007-11-08, 02:03 PM
The Geisterdamen tell us that Lucrezia was pregnant (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20051230) when she appeared to them. We now know from the new cast pages (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/info/cast/everybody.php) that Lucrezia was indeed Agatha's mother. She was probably pregnant with Agatha when she disappeared. I think Bill was her father, myself.

Vondre
2007-11-08, 02:49 PM
I think perhaps they miss the point of the black and white pages. It's a Wizard of Oz thing. When Doroth was in Oz, she was in color, but in Kansas she was black and white. When Agatha has her spark suppressed, she is black and white. Once the amulet from her uncle is stolen, she goes color. This can be seen when her uncle gives her the amulet in the flashback. She is humming and in color, then puts the amulet on and the colors fade from the page until the flashback is over.

Would you know, I completely missed that. I just thought that it was originally a black & white comic, then they somehow decided to make it color.

You think you know a comic, and then it turns out that they're even more awesome than you thought before. Thanks for pointing that out!

Tirian
2007-11-08, 03:04 PM
Would you know, I completely missed that. I just thought that it was originally a black & white comic, then they somehow decided to make it color.

You thought that because it is correct.

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/info/faq.php#0004 speaks of Volume 1 coming out in color someday, resources permitting. That probably means that it will actually never be done, but the point is that they have no artistic qualms about doing so.

Occasional Sage
2007-11-08, 04:31 PM
That is most definitely not Gil's clank. It most likely belongs to the "real players" he mentioned in the previous strip.

I took Gil's comment as, "Hey, we're being spied on by Jagers! Whomever gets the support of Jagers must have some serious juice!" The natural response would be to deal with them quickly.

Although now that you suggest an alternative... Gil does know that Agatha is a Heterodyne; he would probably assume the Jagers are hers.

Gez
2007-11-08, 05:20 PM
The "big players" are definitely a third party, maybe the military forces of Zola's backers (the guys in the pink dirigible).

dakiwiboid
2007-11-08, 05:44 PM
The "big players" are definitely a third party, maybe the military forces of Zola's backers (the guys in the pink dirigible).

Very likely, though I keep wondering about Tarvek's connections.

thorgrim29
2007-11-08, 11:39 PM
To be fait, the airship is pink just to be flash, it has colour changing abilitys..... BTW I'm happy to see the jagers back..... oh and the sausage fountain thing was just awesome, especially since he was completely serious about it.

chionophile
2007-11-09, 12:33 AM
New one is up. That wasn't quite what I was expecting, although that just makes it more awesome.

Porthos
2007-11-09, 12:46 AM
Now that's how to travel in style. :smallamused:

Sky_Schemer
2007-11-09, 02:41 PM
The artwork in this spread is just to die for. The clouds, the smoke, the lighting... I'm nearly speechless, it all looks so real.

Occasional Sage
2007-11-09, 04:16 PM
The artwork in this spread is just to die for. The clouds, the smoke, the lighting... I'm nearly speechless, it all looks so real.

Setting aside the giant arachnoidal machines, yes. :smallwink:

Death Giant
2007-11-09, 04:27 PM
sorry can't read it. website blocked.

Occasional Sage
2007-11-09, 04:58 PM
sorry can't read it. website blocked.

The Girl Genius site works fine in my house... :smalleek:

For the impatient-and-blocked:Today is a splash-page. Pretty, but not a whole lot of plot advancement. We see what smashed the tower, that's about it.

Mordan
2007-11-12, 08:56 AM
"Her grandfather used to open the gates for things like this- so he could get a better look"

That's classic. I want a Heterodyne of my own.

Occasional Sage
2007-11-12, 01:13 PM
"Her grandfather used to open the gates for things like this- so he could get a better look"

That's classic. I want a Heterodyne of my own.

The bit that pushed this panel over the top for me was Agatha's expression. AWESOME dialog, but the expression makes it all just... awesomer.

Mordan
2007-11-13, 11:14 PM
Yeah, but it's really hard to quote an expression.

And I actually have the "Coffee's Ready" page as my desktop. I just with I have the editing software to make it fit a little better (ie, crop the top and bottom, rather then letting winblows have it's way with the pic)

chionophile
2007-11-14, 12:20 AM
Dupree's my most faaaavorite evil pirate queen evar! And there's some tough competition among evil pirate queens, lemme tell ya!

Vondre
2007-11-14, 07:37 AM
I know. She's so amazing.

"Yes, anyone."

"Yes, any way you want."

*world's best boss!*

sihnfahl
2007-11-14, 10:43 AM
I love our good Doctor Sifu Sun.

"The east! Get me to the window!"
"Oh, does this hurt?" *POKE*
"OW! Of course it does!"
"Hmf. You shouldn't move...."

<mayhem>

"That should be the worst of it..."
"Stick AROUND, Captain. You can haul him ... back."
*WHIMPER*

Uppity patients discounting the advice of their physician? Oh, no, can't have THAT.... let's cure them quickly. And pain is an EXCELLENT motivator.

Tekraen
2007-11-14, 11:02 AM
You forgot the second half of the Baron's line.

"THAT'S A PRESSURE POINT!"

Tirian
2007-11-14, 11:22 AM
Dupree's my most faaaavorite evil pirate queen evar!

To me, Bang is the second-best evil person ever in any profession. She's in charge even when she's taking orders, and she loses with style.

Dorizzit
2007-11-14, 11:35 AM
Who's the first?

Megalomaniac2
2007-11-15, 02:55 PM
I just started reading it. I'm not even into the colour section yet and the Baron's already my role model. Hot DAMN that man knows how to tyrannize!

sihnfahl
2007-11-15, 03:33 PM
I just started reading it. I'm not even into the colour section yet and the Baron's already my role model. Hot DAMN that man knows how to tyrannize!
Hey, Baron Wulfenbach is NOT a tyrannical dictator.

He's a benevolent dictator. He's doing his best to keep the Royal Families from tearing Europa apart and to keep the peace. You'll find out, eventually, what led him to being like that.

People are pretty free to do what they want... except when it comes to The Other.

Megalomaniac2
2007-11-15, 03:42 PM
Hey, Baron Wulfenbach is NOT a tyrannical dictator.

He's a benevolent dictator. He's doing his best to keep the Royal Families from tearing Europa apart and to keep the peace. You'll find out, eventually, what led him to being like that.

People are pretty free to do what they want... except when it comes to The Other.

Look, the point is he's totally badass.

Also, the JagerMonsters are absolutely adorable. I love them.

Tekraen
2007-11-15, 05:13 PM
I started reading this comic the day before yesterday.

I've read it from the beginning twice. I can safely say I'm hooked.

edit: I just hope the loose ends start getting tied up with more regularity. Dr. Dim piqued my interest early on, as did the rest of the creche and we haven't revisited them at all since the escape from the castle.

dakiwiboid
2007-11-15, 05:23 PM
He's doing his best to keep the Royal Families from tearing Europa apart and to keep the peace.

Um...there aren't all that many Royal Families any more. The big cast list says "Most of Europa's noble families have become extinct, dwindled in power or kept hold by marrying into the Great Houses of the Sparks." If you don't have strong Sparks in your line, you've got nothing, and the major Houses seem to have been founded by Sparks. Look at the Storm King (Tarvek's ancestor), who was a Spark. Look at all the Heterodynes. Look at the Baron himself.

The tech that's supporting Zola and the army that's advancing on Mechanicsburg wouldn't be there without Sparks.

The hostages aboard Castle Wulfenbach are there for various Great Houses, in fact. There's nobody there from England (except Wooster, who's undercover), because it's free, though relatively weak.

What we've seen the Baron doing is so far suppressing Houses and cities that fall under the domination of the Other, and presumably, any other Houses that don't cooperate fully with him.

Matuse
2007-11-15, 05:45 PM
This is turning into one of THOSE plans...you know, the one where we start killing everyone who notices that we are killing everyone, and then we lose our hats?

Andre taking Von Pinn's constant abuse as signs of love...

Jagermonsters are so completely awesome.

chionophile
2007-11-16, 12:46 AM
I love how they always seem to update the night before, it's awesome. Like... clockwork :smallcool:.

That looks like Gil coming out and I don't think he's going to surrender.