PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Warlock Patron. (PEACH)

ThatOneGuy79
2016-03-17, 01:43 AM
Hey, all! This is my first foray into 5E. I am converting my campaign to the system. Instead of deities I have beings called Watchers. I figured that Warlock Patrons would be the closest. So, below is my first offering.

The Caller

Tellers of tales speak that one of the Watchers once called upon the energies beyond mortal ken to bring forth powerful allies. Her traffic with these beings infused her with wondrous powers that allowed her to heal even the most fatal wounds and gave her the ability to communicate with any she encountered. Now that she has retreated from the world she occasionally shares glimmers of her former glory with those who prove worthy.

Caller Expanded Spells

1st: Healing Word, Detect Evil/Good
2nd: Animal Messenger, Moonbeam Elemental (as moonbeam spell, but in the form of a creature.)
3rd: Spirit Guardians, Beacon of Hope
4th: Conjure Minor Elementals, Private Sanctum
5th: Reincarnate, Dominate Person

Conjurer’s Understanding
Starting at 1st level, your patron gives you the supernatural ability to understand the speech of those around you. You are under a constant effect of Comprehend Languages, but only within 30 feet. You can understand nonverbal languages such as drow sign, but not things like Thieves’ Cant.

Diplomat’s Shroud
Starting at 6th level you gain the ability to bend interactions to your favor. You may use your reaction to gain advantage to all Deception and Persuasion checks. You may not use this against anyone that you are in combat with. This boon lasts for ten minutes. You may not use it again until you finish a short or a long rest.

Planar Resiliance
Beginning at 10th level your bond with your patron gives you the ability to shrug off damage. At the end of a long rest you may choose to gain resistance to one type of damage. This lasts until your next long rest.

Call Avatar
At 14th level you can draw off a portion of your Patron’s ability to summon. You may cast Conjure Celestial once per long rest with the following change: you are able to summon any creature of CR 4 or less. At 17th level you may cast this as if you expended a 9th level spell slot.

ThatOneGuy79
2016-03-19, 07:11 PM
No nibbles?

Arnakalar
2016-03-19, 08:26 PM
No nibbles?

A lot of sub-classes get pretty low response rates in my limited experience, but also it seems like warlock patrons potentially even more.

It seems pretty decent, though I don't get a really huge sense of theme. Other than summoning/maybe some general otherworldlyness (though that should go for all 'otherworldly patrons' =P)

More specifically, convention suggests Warlocks shouldn't get 'Summon' spells in their spell slots - too easy to cast a 5th level minor elementals 4 times in a row. I don't know if I *agree* with that, but there it is.

I don't know what "The same as this spell but an elemental" is supposed to mean, *really*. I get it, but I don't think it works - at the very least you'd need a statblock. Maybe retool a fire elemental, or take a look at some of the homebrewed Lantern Archons.

Reincarnate is pretty cool, but it's like... the definition of a spell you only cast once in a blue moon, and probably not something I would want to spend one of my spells known on, when I could pick a spell I might want to cast every encounter.

Conjurer's understanding seems fine to me though I think others would disagree - though it doesn't scream 'conjurer' to me. I think it could also just be 'you can cast comprehend languages at will' or have it at all times or something.

Diplomat's shroud - I'm not a huge fan of this, tbh. I like that they've got a social ability, but generally 6th level powers are quick, defensive powers... it doesn't have to be that way but still, I feel like there's something off/lack-luster about this.

Planar Resilience* - Fine of course, but it would be nice if there could be something original here... I'm not sure what would be good.

Call Avatar - the name is a little weird to me (Avatar? Of what? The Caller? Is she sometimes a random creature?) Idk about 'This spell that summons celestials, only not just celestials'. I think a powerful summons is appropriate here though.