PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items from PotA

RickAllison
2016-03-17, 02:51 AM
Hi all, I have a question about changing the mechanics on the magic items from Princes of the Apocalypse. I really like many of the items contained therein, but they seem to be predicated on the availability of elemental nodes which many campaigns do not have. How would you modify those items for use in more general campaign settings?

Rhaegar
2016-03-17, 09:16 AM
Other items that recharge tend to do it on a periodic basis over time. You could have the items recharge fully at dawn or recharge XdY charges at dawn. If that seems to fast they could recharge on a weekly or monthly basis.

Alternatively they could be recharged through a spell, a caster may need to recast slow fall on them for instance.

To simulate the elemental node, you could have that they only recharge after spending so many hours within their element, such as immersed in water, fire, buried in the earth.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2016-03-17, 09:17 AM
Hi all, I have a question about changing the mechanics on the magic items from Princes of the Apocalypse. I really like many of the items contained therein, but they seem to be predicated on the availability of elemental nodes which many campaigns do not have. How would you modify those items for use in more general campaign settings?

You could tie their power to a thematically appropriate god/goddess, or some other patron, and require that they be charged through a ritual performed by the followers of said patron, or at their shrines or temples.
Or if the patron doesn't play nice with civilization, places in nature which exemplify the theme. The top of a mountain, a canyon where the wind never stops, an empty lava tube in a volcano, a cave hidden just behind a powerful waterfall, etc.