PDA

View Full Version : Index Maxing out Tree hardness (ideally alchemically)

Jowgen
2016-03-17, 03:04 AM
I am looking for permanent ways to increase the hardness (and HP where possible) of a living tree turned living mobile stronghold.

The base is a Fey Cherry (Dragon 357 p. 56), as it posesses "supernatural strenght that makes them ideal for tree-based dwellings. While it is still small, the Hardening spell (SpC) at CL 20 for an extra 10. I'd use Matter Manipulation, but no psionics. Once it it is big enough to have spaces in it, the walls will be mundanely hardened "via superior craftsmanship" (Dungeonscape) for an extra 5 hardness and an extra 50% HP. Second to last, the walls receive the "Magically Treated" properity (SBG), which functions as permanent (augment object) for double Hardness and HP. Lastly, once the stronghold is mobile and qualifies as a ship via the addition of swimming mobility (SBG), a Pearly Okimono of the Seadragon (Dragon Magic) is added for an extra 5 (arguably via permanent ironwood).

The enitre affair is force grown using a Fey Mound (MoF 43), copious ammount of overgrowth-version plant growth mixed with Wood Shape (to "suck" the overgrowth back into the main body before re-applying it), and whatever else might help, e.g. Holy Water, Alchemical Fertilizer (UA).

Now for good measure, I want to add an alchemical step, but options seem limited. Dragon 304 p. 56 has Oil of Hardness, which would add another 5, but it only lasts an hour, and arguably will stop working once the stronghold becomes "animate". Ironthorn extract (Sand) could help, but not only doesn't it last more than a week, but it seems like it can't increase the hardness above 5. Lastly, Bluewood (UE) is a wood that only gets its hardness via alchemical treatment (requiring 1 week and 10 ranks in alchemy or craft woodworking); but there is nothing to suggest that this is transferrable to a living plant of a different type, or how much that would even cost.

So yeah, would anyone know of any means of increasing the tree's hardness further, ideally alchemically?

Inevitability
2016-03-17, 04:04 AM
I'd look into ways to protect the tree from Sonic and Acid damage. After all, it doesn't matter how high your hardness is if some schmuck can just blast through with a few orbs of acid.

Bronk
2016-03-17, 06:11 AM
Stormwrack has 'Sovereign Sealant' (page 134) which adds +2 to hardness.

I thought there were hardness rules for adding iron or adamantine plating to ships, too, but I'm not finding them right now... (Edit; I believe I was thinking about updated spelljammer rules that set a ship that's been plated with adamantine's hardness to 20, it might not be in a 3.5 book.)

Melcar
2016-03-17, 06:33 AM
I have really only one thing, which is a spell: Augment Object from Stronghold Builder's Guidebook. It doubles hardness and hitpoints and adds +20 to the break DC. It has a duration on 1 day/ level.

Necromancy
2016-03-17, 07:15 AM
Definitely protect vs sonic :smallamused:

Bronk
2016-03-17, 07:36 AM
I think the tree will be fine against elemental damage as long as it's wearing a ring of elemental protection of some kind while it's animated and/or awakened.

Jowgen
2016-03-17, 08:59 AM
As a general thing, I plan to address energy damage with a hard rule-lawyering argument. Stormwrack has ship-specific damaging rules that differ from the regular ones (e.g. Acid only does half, no mention of hardness overcoming in the comparision table), and the 3.5 FAQ at least provides a RAI chip atop the scale.

What I am worried about are things that explcitly ignore hardness without a save. All I got for that is that the tree is alive and thus should heal at some rate, plus an example suggesting Plant Growth can instant-restore it (Dungeonscape, plant walls).

Stormwrack has 'Sovereign Sealant' (page 134) which adds +2 to hardness.

Oh yeah, I recall coming across that early on. Sadly, I had to discard it as an option. Even if a measly +2 were worth 8000 gp to me, and I could get away with applying it while the tree was little as to inflate the effects for cheap, I do not see my DM allowing a tree to continue being alive long after application. It makes the object completely water-proof, and last I checked, trees need to be able to take in and give off water to live.

I think the tree will be fine against elemental damage as long as it's wearing a ring of elemental protection of some kind while it's animated and/or awakened.

Getting the tree to a state where it can wear items seems fraught with rule-hurdles to me. I mean, I already plan to have it treated as a ship and a stronghold, as to rely on a bunch of magical effects that can be placed on them. If anything, I think I'd have to do the animating last, and by Pelor is that thing gonna be massive by then.

I have really only one thing, which is a spell: Augment Object from Stronghold Builder's Guidebook. It doubles hardness and hitpoints and adds +20 to the break DC. It has a duration on 1 day/ level.

I do not see Augment Object stacking with Magically Treated. The latter has the prior as the prerequ spell and has identical benefits. By RAW it might fly, but I am 99% sure it won't.

Melcar
2016-03-17, 11:16 AM
I do not see Augment Object stacking with Magically Treated. The latter has the prior as the prerequ spell and has identical benefits. By RAW it might fly, but I am 99% sure it won't.

For some reason I did not see Magically Treated being mentioned in the opening post. :smallredface:

Zaq
2016-03-17, 11:26 AM
When all is said and done, is it going to be officially a creature or an object?

FocusWolf413
2016-03-17, 01:24 PM
It's not alchemical, but the ironwood spell comes to mind.

Bronk
2016-03-17, 01:28 PM
...and last I checked, trees need to be able to take in and give off water to live.

Just the roots and leaves, and if it's either animated or awakened, it won't need water because it will have construct traits.

Getting the tree to a state where it can wear items seems fraught with rule-hurdles to me. I mean, I already plan to have it treated as a ship and a stronghold, as to rely on a bunch of magical effects that can be placed on them. If anything, I think I'd have to do the animating last, and by Pelor is that thing gonna be massive by then.

The tree might be large as a whole, but if it's either animated or awakened, all it would need to do is slip a ring over one of its smaller branches. (Or boots, or a cape, etc.)

Psyren
2016-03-17, 11:17 PM
As a general thing, I plan to address energy damage with a hard rule-lawyering argument. Stormwrack has ship-specific damaging rules that differ from the regular ones (e.g. Acid only does half, no mention of hardness overcoming in the comparision table), and the 3.5 FAQ at least provides a RAI chip atop the scale.

If something specifically overcomes hardness though, it sounds like it would still trump those rules. So a kineticist with a bone to pick with you could cause some serious damage.