PDA

View Full Version : Build Help for a "Fire and Smoke"-y Pirate guy

Botz
2016-03-17, 10:22 AM
Hello you wise people on the GitP-Forums.

I've come up with a new idea for a character concept but I'm not sure about the built I want to use.

Recently, some kids in school messed up my last name. The result was somewhat funny, since it would basically translate to "sizzle-beard". This, while odd, set my mind spinning about a pirate who uses a fire and smoke infused melee fighting style.

I wanted him to (preferably) be a halfling with just one arm (he lost his left one while rescuing his first mate and refuses to have it regrown as a reminder of the dangers at sea).

My first idea was a desert wind/shadow hand swordsage, but I'm not entirely sure about that. Maybe some kind of Gish? So, you see, I'm really up for anything you can come up with.

I'd be very grateful for any ideas or even builds you have :smallwink:

Thank you all in advance,
Botz

Necromancy
2016-03-17, 10:29 AM
Loving it, I'd do the Halfling but ask the GM for flavor purposes if you could have a little tiefling blood mixed in somehow, or vice versa. Make yourself a gnarled mess with a beard and empty eye socket that constantly emit wisps of smoke. Then go the arcane trickster route or something along that line

The Viscount
2016-03-17, 11:45 AM
Swordsage would help make this build pretty effective. If you're really going fire heavy, you can also consider pyrokineticist.

Botz
2016-03-17, 12:09 PM
Loving it, I'd do the Halfling but ask the GM for flavor purposes if you could have a little tiefling blood mixed in somehow, or vice versa. Make yourself a gnarled mess with a beard and empty eye socket that constantly emit wisps of smoke. Then go the arcane trickster route or something along that line

thanks, I will look into it :smallsmile:

Swordsage would help make this build pretty effective. If you're really going fire heavy, you can also consider pyrokineticist.

yeh I've thought about pyrokineticist. not sure about what to take as a base class though... :smalleek:

FuryouMiko
2016-03-17, 03:01 PM
It's not brilliant power-wise, but how about soulknife? Flaming swords formed of sheer fighting spirit!

Necromancy
2016-03-17, 03:18 PM
thanks, I will look into it :smallsmile:

The pathfinder site has a table of tiefling traits

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-tiefling

We had a member roll smoking eyes and teased him incessantly about coughing from his eye smoke. He convinced the DM to let him try one more roll and got a gimpy shriveled arm instead. He was instantly associated with the butler from scary movie and he just scrapped that character on the spot.

Gildedragon
2016-03-17, 04:41 PM
Or ask for heritage from the elemental plane of fire or ash or smoke. Ask if you can reconfigure a genasi into a haggling sort Hmm. Iirc the smoke paragenasi have the breathless quality. Good for a pirate. Means they can't drown.

Botz
2016-03-18, 03:18 AM
Wow! That's a lot of fluff ideas I never thought about! Thanks a lot :)

Do you maybe have some more build ideas? I'm really unsure how to build the little guy ... :/

Andezzar
2016-03-18, 03:33 AM
It's not brilliant power-wise, but how about soulknife? Flaming swords formed of sheer fighting spirit!How about Psychic Warrior with the Soulbound Weapon ACF (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) instead? It gives you more options and is very similar fluff-wise.

Gildedragon
2016-03-18, 04:39 AM
Hmmm sea salt and smoke and embers:

I'd go swordsage (shadow hand and desert wind focus)

Though White Raven wouldn't be bad: a captain is a team leader too.

Alternatively Bard or Marshal to have the crew-boosting/morale boosting effects

Bard or Barbarian can be used for the intimidate factor, seeing how you have a blackbeard thing going, with the smoking beard and all.

If you go Divine Bard + Swordsage you can go into RKV...

another alternative is to go Binder. There are a few fire and fear sort of vestiges, and the cha focus makes them good for talking.

OOOOR (it has fire in its name)
Do a Hellfire Warlock + anything charisma-y