PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Neighbourhood Monster

Regitnui
2016-03-17, 11:57 AM
Here's a question for you;

Of all the intelligent monsters in the MM, which one would you choose to integrate into the traditional fantasy society?

We all know our player races live together in a sort of healthy family way in the average D&D town. The humans are the majority, the elves and dwarves bicker, the halflings sit in the tavern with a pint, the gnomes trick and tinker, and the half-orcs loom menacingly as security guards. So on and so forth. However, a number of other intelligent races are pushed to the periphery of this mutually beneficial society for a variety of reasons; they drink blood, their gaze turns everyone to stone, they enjoy eating babies, or they smell bad.

Let us wipe the slate clean. One of these traditionally monstrous races is going to get a reprieve in the sake of racial diversity. Orcs are an easy fix, as are hobgoblins after you remove the cartoonist exaggerations of their "Evil" alignment. But what of the more exotic? Do you have flumphs babysitting children so they don't get nightmares? Are minotaurs highly paid navigators? Do the sphinxes run the schools? How can you bring a monster species into your campaign as equals to the player races?

Fightmaster
2016-03-17, 06:16 PM
Perhaps an oni detective, using their ability to change shape and turn invisible. Or a marilith who thoroughly enjoys topiary. The mindflayer psychologist who just really knows how to get into a patient's head :smallbiggrin:

ShikomeKidoMi
2016-03-17, 11:25 PM
Probably the easiest monsters to work into society are going to be the ones that aren't innately evil.... unless maybe they're a very lawful kind of evil. This rules out demons and most undead, creatures like mindflayers that have to eat the brains of sapient beings to survive, etc.

However, creatures that are either good, neutral, or culturally evil (orcs, goblins, etc) would be pretty easy to integrate. Humanoids would be easiest because the game and normal human assumptions already work off of humanoids, so there'd be less need to change the architecture and so on, but they might be less interesting than something like sphinxes or unicorns.

RickAllison
2016-03-17, 11:42 PM
One interesting option could be the Nothic. It's NE (which is a knock against it), but since they were transformed into their wretched forms by a curse that twisted them, it might be possible to rehabilitate them. Where they become an interesting possibility is the Weird Insight ability, which could work as part of an intrusive city guard. When the king really needs to know if someone did something, they break out the elite Nothic Guard who always get the information he needs. Normally, they obtain this through the ability to see into the minds of targets, but they can resort to the much more unpleasant method of rotting the flesh from the body if someone resists. Nasty way to go.

PeteNutButter
2016-03-18, 12:12 AM
Doppelgangers (Changlings) are practically in Eberron. They already made Drow PCs a thing in the phb now.

If you go Harry Potter, you can add ghosts to town.

The gith seem like an obvious choice for a player race. Humanoid, already Lawful, cool flavor, etc.

Really I think mixing up race relations, and what's considered accepted in towns should be a good part of any home brew worlds. I'll give this a lot more thought on my next campaign.:smallbiggrin:

lebefrei
2016-03-18, 12:28 AM
I see no reason as to why many Hobgoblins wouldn't be members of society. Specifically and especially the more charismatic ones.

Psychopaths are very popular villain in movies and TV, but in reality most of them never let slip their potential emotionless disdain for others. They follow the rules, and at most are a little cold and a bit too ruthless in business. They are Lawful Evil.

A Hobgoblin Warlord has a +2 bonus to int and cha. This is well enough above average that they'd slot just fine into middle management, especially while also being an intimidating presence. What big, morally questionable company wouldn't want some of these guys around to throw around orders and command a little respect and fear?

I'm using modern settings, but the same applies to a fantasy world. They'd be guard captains, drill sergeants, disciplinarians, jailers, lenders, bounty hunters and anything else that benefits a stern demeanor and a strong hand.

Friendly? Only to their bosses and anyone else they'd need to kiss up to if it gets them ahead in life. But a realistic member of society, a type that already exists (minus the beastial features)? Absolutely.

Hobgoblins make more sense than Drow as a playable race, in my opinion.

Tanarii
2016-03-18, 12:33 AM
Evil outsiders would be out for most societies. Being evil is part of their essence.

Personally I'd go with Fey or Giants for unusual but not bizarre. Dryads, Satyr, Hill Giants or Cyclops would all be interesting. Or maybe Doppleganger.

For more outlandish, look to Elementals. Xorn or Invisible Stalkers.

From LE creatures I'd probably go with a small family of young green or blue dragons that have decided to integrate and dial back their evil nature to be part of a (Lawful) community.

However, creatures that are either good, neutral, or culturally evil (orcs, goblins, etc) would be pretty easy to integrate. Humanoids would be easiest because the game and normal human assumptions already work off of humanoids, so there'd be less need to change the architecture and so on, but they might be less interesting than something like sphinxes or unicorns.
Humanoids aren't just culturally evil in 5e. They have inborn tendencies, due to being created/made to serve their gods, and have to struggle against those innate tendencies for their entire lives. Even half orcs have to deal with that lingering influence.

That's not to say a DM could change that default assumption. Nor have a group that successful overcomes their innate tendencies. Or Lawful evil ones might work as is.

pwykersotz
2016-03-18, 12:41 AM
Clearly the humble Flumph.

Slipperychicken
2016-03-18, 12:44 AM
I want to see more tieflings played as cruel bureaucrats, high-powered lawyers, and corrupt statesmen. None of this "we're just misunderstood and as moral as anyone else", I'd rather have them be deviously deceptive, but completely unrepentant in their wickedness.

Minotaurs could do well guarding prisons and other underground complexes, blurring the lines between civilization and dungeon.

Regitnui
2016-03-18, 03:07 AM
Doppelgangers (Changlings) are practically in Eberron. They already made Drow PCs a thing in the phb now.

Actually, going by the original 3.5 and this edition as well, changelings are the descendants of doppelganger-human matings. Considering doppelgangers are naturally sexless, I have no desire to find out how that actually worked. :smallyuk:

I like Eberron because it has a defined place for the drow; as far away from civilisation as is physically possible. No, I don't like them.

Ghostwalk was an obscure setting back in 3.5. It's entire schtick was that ghosts were normal and functioning members of society.

Humanoids aren't just culturally evil in 5e. They have inborn tendencies, due to being created/made to serve their gods, and have to struggle against those innate tendencies for their entire lives. Even half orcs have to deal with that lingering influence.

Another reason why Eberron kicks donkey. If a gnoll wants to eat your face it's because you pissed them off, not because the species is just so incensed by the existence of pretty-faced adventurers that they're always going to eat your face instead of warning you to stay out of their territory.

Of course, that is, as you say, the DM's prerogative.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-18, 03:16 AM
How has no one mentioned centaurs yet? The only reason they aren't integrated with humanoid society is because their culture is nomadic. If they abandoned that, they'd fit right in! Well, except I'm terms of physically fitting through doorways...

And obviously I would advocate for the integration of certain fey races :smallbiggrin:

Mrmox42
2016-03-18, 03:45 AM
Ogres play a central part in my campaign world.

They have become somewhat civilized and have a special relationship with the Gnomes, whom they consider their superiors. The Gnomes are the master race of this world, as they provide the brains while the Ogres provide the brawn. Both races prosper in this way.
You will find Ogres as common soldiers, Ogres working as blacksmiths, Ogres doing all sorts of heavy Work. They have become a bit smarter than the common Ogres, and are capable of solving problems with other solutions than violence. Still, the Ogres are perfect soldiers, often using the special rocket weaponry (that doubles as great clubs, after the missile has been fired) that the Gnomes has invented.

The players are part of an underground movement fighting the Gnomish tyrrany.

MrStabby
2016-03-18, 04:40 AM
Wererats might be a candidate? Yes they can be evil but that could conceivably be lessened in an integrated society and they are lawful which helps. They actually have something to offer a settlement as well, so benefits there.

Regitnui
2016-03-18, 06:32 AM
Wererats might be a candidate? Yes they can be evil but that could conceivably be lessened in an integrated society and they are lawful which helps. They actually have something to offer a settlement as well, so benefits there.

What, janitorial duties?

JellyPooga
2016-03-18, 06:46 AM

The problem with lycanthropes is that it's a disease and it's hard to separate that from common conceptions of disease without changing the nature of it.

For instance, instead of having the disease transfer by bite or claw, it could be a genetic disease. This would make the lycanthrope "breed true" without having the stigma of contagion around it.

I've always thought Kobolds would make a worthy addition to a society; they're thrifty, hard-working and communal. What's not to like about them as neighbours, really? Except maybe they'll "steal" your job and do it better than you for less pay...

There's also lots of them and they like working in groups. This makes them good soldiers/guards, miners and teamsters among many other jobs. If it wasn't for their poor physical capabilities, they'd be excellent stevedores, warehouse operatives and other such manual work; even so, their teamwork capabilities might make up for lack of physical strength.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-18, 07:00 AM
I've always thought Kobolds would make a worthy addition to a society; they're thrifty, hard-working and communal. What's not to like about them as neighbours, really? Except maybe they'll "steal" your job and do it better than you for less pay...

There's also lots of them and they like working in groups. This makes them good soldiers/guards, miners and teamsters among many other jobs. If it wasn't for their poor physical capabilities, they'd be excellent stevedores, warehouse operatives and other such manual work; even so, their teamwork capabilities might make up for lack of physical strength.

They'd probably be good at Network Security and cyber-espionage in a modern setting, as well.

Regitnui
2016-03-18, 08:24 AM
They'd probably be good at Network Security and cyber-espionage in a modern setting, as well.

I just pictured a fantasy version of the avengers where they follow Nick Fury onto the helicarrier bridge to see rank upon rank of kobolds at computers.

Gwendol
2016-03-18, 08:46 AM
Any social creature would work really. How well I guess depends on the society. In one based on ancient Sparta it's not hard to see goblinoids, and especially hobgoblins fit right in, as would minotaurs and some giants (non-chaotic). Norse culture would certainly accept all manners of monsters such as dragons, dwarves including duergar and whatever those fire-aligned dwarf like creatures are called (are they even in 5e yet?). Dryads, centaurs, lizardfolk are all likely contenders as are some more exotic creatures like modrons.

Adding a monstrous race to society in some part of the world is surely quite common, no?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-18, 09:04 AM
whatever those fire-aligned dwarf like creatures are called (are they even in 5e yet?).

Azers? They're in the 5e MM. And yeah, they'd be awesome members of civilian society. Perhaps more heroes should be going on quests to free them from the Efreet?

KorvinStarmast
2016-03-18, 09:11 AM
Actually, going by the original 3.5 and this edition as well, changelings are the descendants of doppelganger-human matings. Considering doppelgangers are naturally sexless, I have no desire to find out how that actually worked.
Test tube babies. There's that alchemist who lives down the street. He charges a lot for the service.

Friendly neighborhood monster: a dragon. Where do you think the genetic material for draconic sorcerers comes from? The trick is to figure out how the dragon (metallic can take on human form, so that one's too easy) can establish a quid pro quo deal: I do this for you, you provide me livestock and a large are to live in unmolested.

Example: Green Dragon. Runs the extermination franchise. Something like tenting the house to get rid of termites, you hire Chartruze, the local young green dragon, and clear out the neighborhood for the day. He breathes a bit. Bug be gone. You come back the next day, and please, folks, bring your domestic animals with you. (We had the apartment building tented some years ago where I lived, and two idiots left their cats in the apartment ... )

Example: White Dragon. Runs the ice franchise in a desert city. Sherbert stores, snowcones, and the ever popular two for one margaritas on Tuesday nights at the local tavern.

Gold and silver morph into human form easy, they are already among the population ... people just don't realize it.

Example: Copper Dragon. Old Kew runs a support operation for a mining concern and a quarry. His acid breath is gently applied to drilled holes, and they knock off another slab of rock, or get another seam opened up in the mine. Or you could hire old Ebony, a black dragon, but that gal has an attitude a mile wide. She works for less as long as sufficient fresh seafood is part of the contract. (Hey, she has this thing for fresh giant octopus: it's a business lunch, for crying out loud, write it up on your expense report to reduce the tax basis!)

EvilAnagram
2016-03-18, 09:32 AM
Hobgoblins in the setting I run are basically North Korea. There are fortress towns along their border designed to keep them from romping through the southern lands.

I'm good with monsters in human societies. Doppelgangers and Rakshasas are already in society, whether society knows it or not. I threw one of those spider people (ettercaps?) into mine to serve as someone's butler. Those mandibles just looked so much like a droopy mustache. I think the flaming skull the PCs let free should open up a shop.

JackPhoenix
2016-03-18, 05:05 PM
Ogres play a central part in my campaign world.

They have become somewhat civilized and have a special relationship with the Gnomes, whom they consider their superiors. The Gnomes are the master race of this world, as they provide the brains while the Ogres provide the brawn. Both races prosper in this way.
You will find Ogres as common soldiers, Ogres working as blacksmiths, Ogres doing all sorts of heavy Work. They have become a bit smarter than the common Ogres, and are capable of solving problems with other solutions than violence. Still, the Ogres are perfect soldiers, often using the special rocket weaponry (that doubles as great clubs, after the missile has been fired) that the Gnomes has invented.

The players are part of an underground movemenet fighting the Gnomish tyrrany.

Have you played Arcanum: of steamworks and magick obscura? Because that sound somewhat familiar...
There, gnomes created half-ogres as their servants and bodyguards by abducting and forcibly breeding human women with ogres. Most of them haven't survived childbirth, if they did, they were up for another round. The resulting half-ogres were smarter and more obedient, and just as strong and tough.

Regitnui
2016-03-19, 01:30 AM
Have you played Arcanum: of steamworks and magick obscura? Because that sound somewhat familiar...
There, gnomes created half-ogres as their servants and bodyguards by abducting and forcibly breeding human women with ogres. Most of them haven't survived childbirth, if they did, they were up for another round. The resulting half-ogres were smarter and more obedient, and just as strong and tough.

Sounds a bit like how the Athasian dragon-kings made Mul, except half-dwarf.

RazDelacroix
2016-03-19, 01:45 AM
By Avandra's Sweet Boots! SOMEONE ELSE REMEMBERS GHOSTWALK!

Anywho, since the opening post did state that we for this discussion remove the Obligatory Evil alignment from the critters, I think we need some Beholder Optometrists! That's right folks, YOU'RE ONE BEAM AWAY FROM PERFECT VISION!

Balyano
2016-03-19, 02:18 AM
Draconic bankers. They sit on a hoard of capital. Need a loan? Here's the payment plan and interest rates. Default? I wouldn't suggest it, I really wouldn't. Dragons are intelligent, wise, and persuasive. They are greedy, and what better way to amass wealth? Adventurers come to slay the dragon and take the hoard? Well those bank robbers have to make it past security before facing Burnie Mafaceoff. I imagine now that all dragons come equipped with a monocle, top hat, and a cigarette holder.

Regitnui
2016-03-19, 03:44 AM
Draconic bankers. They sit on a hoard of capital. Need a loan? Here's the payment plan and interest rates. Default? I wouldn't suggest it, I really wouldn't. Dragons are intelligent, wise, and persuasive. They are greedy, and what better way to amass wealth? Adventurers come to slay the dragon and take the hoard? Well those bank robbers have to make it past security before facing Burnie Mafaceoff. I imagine now that all dragons come equipped with a monocle, top hat, and a cigarette holder.

You loan people money to get them to give you more money and then charge them for keeping the money they're giving you. Brilliant!

pwykersotz
2016-03-19, 01:06 PM

I did this in an old campaign. It was a Gem Dragon, and powerfully psionic. He kept an exact tally of the wealth of the bank and all deposits in his own mind and forever was double checking for discrepancies. He made a healthy profit, and spent his days on a forever-growing pile of gold and treasure in a deep vault beneath the bank. His thralls handled running up and down the stairs to deposit or withdraw funds.

RazDelacroix
2016-03-19, 01:16 PM
I'm pulling this idea from a bit of Pony fanfiction I read once. Using cockatrice for medical emergency assistance! Petrify the wounded, they stop bleeding & aging, carefully transport them to hospital/healing-house/whatever and de-petrify where all the expert healers are!

Waffle_Iron
2016-03-19, 01:45 PM
Hobgoblins in the setting I run are basically North Korea. There are fortress towns along their border designed to keep them from romping through the southern lands.

In my setting they're basically pre-unification China. They trade, war internally, and conquer through any means, including financial, espionage, and classical warfare.

The Mongols are High Elf Horse culture necromancers, as suggested by someone on these boards.