PDA

View Full Version : Analysis Body Guard to High Priest Correlation

Markozeta
2016-03-17, 12:27 PM
I was going to put this in the discussion thread - but figured I would like an objective opinion on my analysis.

Also, did we ever figure out who Throwing Axe Kilt Guy was the bodyguard for?

If I had to guess, it would be Mani, due to the similar hair color. Between 998 panel 1 and the special wallpaper from Strip 1000, we see a total of 11 bodyguards, while there are 18 gods. With this, I proposed the following:

High Preist
Body Guard
Panel Appearance

Hel
Roy
998 Panel 1

Western Pantheon/ Veldrina
Wercan
998 Panel 1

HPoSunni
Girl with Similar Hair Style
998 Panel 8

HPoMani
TAKG
998 Panel 1

HPoHeimdall
Spiked Helmet Guy
1000 Bonus Panel

HPoFrigg
White bearded Dwarf
1000 Bonus Panel

HPoTyr
Orc Girl
998 Panel 1

HPoOdin
Eyepatch Guy
1000 Bonus Panel

HPoSif
Brown Haired Girl
1000 Bonus Panel

HPoBaldur/Freya
Blond Girl in Armor
1000 Bonus Panel

HPoVarthrundir
Girl in full body suit/helmet
998 Panel 1

Any objections / clarifications? This is my best guess based upon the available information - and as we are unlikely to get full answers here, probably the best source of info on this topic.

Yanisa
2016-03-17, 02:03 PM
Well, a single high priest can have up to 2 bodyguards. Panel 4 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0993.html).

In the case of our own cleric his two bodyguards are Roy and Belkar.

martianmister
2016-03-17, 02:04 PM
Orc Bodyguard was shooting at the vampires while High Priest of Tyr were supporting them. They're probably not from the same church.

Markozeta
2016-03-17, 03:15 PM
Well, a single high priest can have up to 2 bodyguards. Panel 4 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0993.html).

In the case of our own cleric his two bodyguards are Roy and Belkar.

Yes - I made an assumption of 1-1 because I couldn't see two people who looked closely enough to be supporting a single priest. If there were say two body guards who looked closely, I would've changed my wild speculation.

Orc Bodyguard was shooting at the vampires while High Priest of Tyr were supporting them. They're probably not from the same church.

I did notice this as well - and I agree it doesn't fit the scene very well. I also noticed the Sunna chick didn't attack, while the high priest was the first to strike. I couldn't place these anywhere else though - and chalked it up to internal church conflict. Other suggestions that fit the scenes better are welcome.

Rift_Wolf
2016-03-17, 06:43 PM
My guess (based on nothing) is that Wrecan would've Chosen to stand near the more Lawful looking bodyguards. Tyr, Sunna and Thor might be Orc Girl, Buzzcut girl and TAKG respectively. Dwarf (or Gnome; stupid protagonist hand in the way) would be a good fit for Frigg. I'm already imagining a sunset romance ala Last Chance Harvey involving those two...

ti'esar
2016-03-17, 07:09 PM
I'm kind of dubious of the whole premise here. Roy and Wrecan are both independent adventurers with no special affiliation with any church that we know of, so it seems reasonable that most of the other bodyguards are the same - in which case it's unlikely that their appearances necessarily have any connection to which priest they accompanied.

Pyrous
2016-03-17, 08:17 PM
I'm kind of dubious of the whole premise here. Roy and Wrecan are both independent adventurers with no special affiliation with any church that we know of, so it seems reasonable that most of the other bodyguards are the same - in which case it's unlikely that their appearances necessarily have any connection to which priest they accompanied.

Roy is in fact connected with the HP he is guarding, despite the obvious lack of professionalism. Wrecan's shield suggest a connection to Marduk's church, which is expected for the BG of the Western Pantheon Emissary.

However, I think that the BGs are probably grouped with the BGs of the HP that were traveling with them.

Also, I think the BGs attack on the vampires is motivated by the urge to stay alive rather than following their HPs orders.

Markozeta
2016-03-18, 11:33 AM
My guess (based on nothing) is that Wrecan would've Chosen to stand near the more Lawful looking bodyguards. Tyr, Sunna and Thor might be Orc Girl, Buzzcut girl and TAKG respectively. Dwarf (or Gnome; stupid protagonist hand in the way) would be a good fit for Frigg. I'm already imagining a sunset romance ala Last Chance Harvey involving those two...

All of this makes a ton of sense. Wish I saw another plain looking dwarf that I could call "obviously Thor" to give Thor an option.

Completely agree! This is entirely baseless speculation - for now. The main point was we may very well see the Godsmoot again, with Clerics hanging out with their bodyguards, and I think it would be fun to see how well the baseless speculation compares to the actual alignment. We won't know until we get there though - even if we do get there!

Roy is in fact connected with the HP he is guarding, despite the obvious lack of professionalism. Wrecan's shield suggest a connection to Marduk's church, which is expected for the BG of the Western Pantheon Emissary.

However, I think that the BGs are probably grouped with the BGs of the HP that were traveling with them.

Also, I think the BGs attack on the vampires is motivated by the urge to stay alive rather than following their HPs orders.

This does make sense - Heimdell, Hodor and Mani were all travelling together. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0985.html)