PDA

View Full Version : Example DCs from published adventures (help requested)

Zaq
2016-03-17, 12:35 PM
So I've been involved in a fair bit of discussion about the 5e skill system recently, as I'm sure you may have seen. One of my biggest complaints is the lack of examples for tasks of varying difficulties. Sure, there's the vague discussion of DCs on pg. 238 of the DMG (Very Easy at 5, Easy at 10, Moderate at 15, Hard at 20, etc.) but there are vanishingly few examples of what actually qualifies as Moderate or Hard or whatever, at least in the PHB and DMG. Yes, yes, we've had the endless back-and-forth about how the GM is free to change DCs to their whim, but my point is that I'd still like to get some kind of baseline in my head to be tweaked rather than having to make everything up from scratch.

So I'm hoping you folks can help me out. Does anyone have access to any published adventures? (I don't have anything but the PHB/DMG/MM right now.) If you do, would you be so kind as to flip through them and find some examples of skill DCs in those adventures? Obviously, the more the merrier, but even just a few might be better than nothing. Examples might be the DC to pick a certain lock, the DC to scale a certain wall, the DC to persuade a certain neutral party to aid you (or to stay out of your way) in some fashion, the DC to know about a particular monster or riddle or bit of history, the DC to notice a particular hidden element, or anything else where the book lays out a task for the characters to attempt and gives us some idea of how hard it is.

Implicit DCs are less helpful, but honestly, since I'm starting with next to nothing, I still wouldn't turn up my nose at them as long as there's actual textual evidence for what the DC would be. What do I mean by that? I primarily mean two things: first, if the book uses one of the magic keywords that matches the DC table on DMG pg. 238, that's basically a DC even if they were coy about writing down a number. (So if the book says that it's a "moderate" task to persuade a merchant to let you see the shady black-market stuff in the back, that's still evidence of being about DC 15, even if the book didn't bother to say that.) Second, if the book gives numbers for an opposed contest, that gives us some idea of how good the PCs would have to be to succeed at that contest. (So if someone is trying to lie to the PCs and the book says they have a total of a +8 on their Deception check, that gives us an idea of how good your Insight should be to overcome that. If someone is going to ambush the party and we know they have a +4 on their Stealth check, that's an indication of how good our Perception needs to be, and vice versa if we know the Perception mod of a guard that the party is likely to need to sneak past.)

Naturally, context is key; I'm not asking you to spoil the entire contents of the adventure, but just a quick note about "this adventure is written for a party of about level 4-6" or "this task is a really important task at a climactic point in the adventure" or "this guy who's trying to lie to you is kind of a low-grade schmuck instead of a major power player" or whatever. If you feel like it's appropriate to do so, feel free to put your reply in a spoiler (and mention outside the spoiler what adventure you're talking about so that those of us who choose not to be spoiled on that particular adventure can choose not to peek).

I suppose it's worth mentioning what I'm NOT expecting to get out of this. I'm NOT expecting that these DCs are going to be holy writ that must always apply universally. I'm NOT expecting that these are to be treated as hard-coded rules that can never be adapted or changed if a GM sees fit to do so. I'm NOT expecting that these are going to be flawlessly cross-referenced to the point that they couldn't contradict each other (we might see a wall that's DC 10 to climb and a wall in a different adventure that's DC 15 to climb with no special descriptive elements differentiating the walls from each other, and that's not the end of the world). I'm NOT looking for some kind of "trump card" to use to try to argue that a given GM is wrong about how they choose to set DCs. I'm NOT expecting to get an exhaustive list of examples of everything that could ever happen. But I DO want to get some kind of rough idea what at least some subset of WotC developers expected a party to be capable of doing at different levels of competence.

Finally, while I don't have any published adventures, here's a handful of DCs I've managed to scrounge out of the DMG, just so that I'm not demanding something without offering at least a little bit to get the ball rolling:

TRAPS:
(All traps from pp. 122-3.)
Collapsing Roof: 10 to spot (what ability or skill is used is not stated. Perception? Investigation?). 15 (DEX, thieves' tools) to disable.

Falling Net: 10 to spot (unspecified skill). 15 (DEX, thieves' tools) to disable. 10 (STR, no skill) to free someone from the net.

Fire-Breathing Statue: 15 to spot (unspecified skill). DC 13 Dispel Magic to dispel the trap.

Simple Pit: 10 to spot (unspecified skill).

Hidden Pit: 15 (WIS, Perception) to spot. 15 (INT, Investigation) to confirm that the pit is actually a pit.

Locking Pit: Same DC as Hidden Pit to notice. 20 (STR, no skill) to force the cover open. 15 (DEX, thieves' tools) to disable the spring mechanism.

Poison Darts: 15 to notice (unspecified skill, but the next sentence gives 15 (INT, Investigation) to deduce the presence of the pressure plate; unclear if that's different).

Poison Needle: 20 (INT, Investigation) to deduce the trap's presence. 15 (DEX, thieves' tools) to disable.

Rolling Sphere: 15 (WIS, Perception) to notice the pressure plate. 15 (INT, Investigation) to, um, notice the pressure plate. (I think you're good if you succeed on either?). The same DC lets you notice the trapdoor in the ceiling. DC 20 (STR, no skill) to slow down or eventually stop the sphere.

Sphere of Annihilation: 20 (INT, Arcana) to recognize the SoA as an SoA (that can't be controlled or moved). DC 18 Dispel Magic to remove the optional Sympathy effect compelling you to put your hand in the statue's mouth (go ahead, do it, what's the worst that can happen?).

NOT TRAPS:

Pg. 130: DC 20 (INT, Investigation) to find a buyer for a magic item you wish to sell.

Pg. 131: DC 15 (CHA, Deception or Persuasion) to sow a rumor.

Pg. 244: Several DCs for tracking (WIS, Survival).

Pg. 245: Several DCs for social interaction (CHA, various).

Pg. 252: DC 10 (CON, no skill) to keep Dashing in an extended chase.

Pg. 254: Several DCs for dealing with complications in a chase scene (varies).

Pg. 258: DC 20 (INT, Nature or poisoner's kit) to harvest poison from a subdued or dead venomous creature.

ShikomeKidoMi
2016-03-17, 04:08 PM
I quite agree with you on the lack of examples being frustrating.

Here's a few from Out of the Abyss, I tried to make them spoiler free. Most but not all of these are towards the beginning of the adventure. The reason they're hidden is just space saving.

Turning a handcrank to operate a winch for an elevator big enough to hold 4 people (the book says this is usually done by two creatures, one makes the check, the other Helps to give advantage): DC 18 Strength (No skill)

Not Getting Lost in the basic Underdark: DC 10 Survival check, with modifiers possibly changing that
Not Getting Lost in an actual maze: DC 12 Survival Check, made more frequently than above

Spotting that damage to a room is recent: DC 13 Investigation

Spotting a hidden Passage: DC 15 Perception usually, from start to towards the end. I think there are a couple higher DC ones later on, but most of them are DC 15.

Spotting that someone is uncomfortable with recent actions taken by their ruler: DC 12 Insight

Climbing a rocky chasm wall without rock climbing gear: DC 15 Athletics
Climbing out of the bottom of a muddy sinkhole: DC 15 Athletics

Moving along a sharp slope covered in loose gravel without sliding to the bottom: DC 12 Acrobatics

Spotting a Poison Needle trap: DC 20 Investigation-- No Perception DC listed, may take inspection to find.

Spotting a Pit trap: DC 15 Perception
Pulling yourself out of the pit if you manage to make the Dex save to grab the edge instead of falling all the way down: DC 11 Athletics

Pulling yourself up onto a giant spiderweb if you've grabbed them to avoid a different fall: DC 10 (apparently spiderwebs are easier to grip than the edges of a hole in a rock floor, which makes sense)

My general impression is that a lot of the time the DCs remain relatively static, maybe going up one or two, 5 in a rare case, but the consequences of failure increase a great deal. Low level you might take a fall, high level you might take a fall into magma.

Slipperychicken
2016-03-18, 10:15 AM
I think this could become a helpful resource for 5e groups, so I used excel-wizardry to turn your examples into a table (ability/DC/description/source). Right now I'm sorting it by ability and DC.

Ability(Skill)DCDescriptionSource
[td][Casting Stat](Dispel Magic)13Dispel a fire-breathing statueDMG 122-123
[td][Casting Stat](Dispel Magic)18Remove a sympathy effect compelling you to put your hand in a statue's mouthDMG 122-123
[td]Charisma(any)0Make a friendly creature do something without risks or sacrificesDMG 245
[td]Charisma(any)0Make a hostile creature oppose your actions, and may take risks to do soDMG 245
[td]Charisma(any)0Make an indifferent creature offer neither help nor harm to youDMG 245
[td]Charisma(any)10Make a friendly creature do something with a minor risk or sacrificeDMG 245
[td]Charisma(any)10Make a hostile creature offer neither help nor harm to youDMG 245
[td]Charisma(any)10Make an indifferent creature do something without risks or sacrificesDMG 245
[td]Charisma(any)20Make a friendly creature do something with a significant risk or sacrificeDMG 245
[td]Charisma(any)20Make a hostile creature do something that involves no risks or sacrificesDMG 245
[td]Charisma(any)20Make an indifferent creature do something with a minor risk or sacrificeDMG 245
[td]Charisma(Deception)15Sow a RumorDMG 131
[td]Charisma(Intimidation)10Slip past a beggar blocking your way during a chaseDMG 254
[td]Charisma(Intimidation)15Run through a brawl unimpeded (failure means 2d4 dmg, brawl is difficult terrain)DMG 254
[td]Charisma(Persuasion)15Sow a RumorDMG 131
[td]Constitution10Keep dashing in an extended chase (after doing so 3+ con mod times), without gaining exhaustionDMG 252
[td]Constitution(Saving Throw)10Avoid being blinded for 1 turn by blowing sand, dirt, ash, snow or pollenDMG 254
[td]Dexterit(Acrobatics)10Run through a pack of dogs unimpeded (failure means 1d4 dmg, pack counts as difficult terrain)DMG 254
[td]Dexterity(Acrobatics)10Cross a stream, ravine, or rock bed during a chase. Failure means it counts as difficult terrainDMG 254
[td]Dexterity(Acrobatics)10Force your way through a crowd during a chase (failure means it's treated as difficult terrain)DMG 254
[td]Dexterity(Acrobatics)10Navigate a maze of barrels, crates, or similar obstacles (failure means it's treated as difficult terrain)DMG 254
[td]Dexterity(Acrobatics)10Navigate uneven ground unimpeded during a chase (failure means it's counted as difficult terrain)DMG 254
[td]Dexterity(Acrobatics)10Run through a patch of brush unimpeded during a chase (failure means it's counted as difficult terrain)DMG 254
[td]Dexterity(Acrobatics)10Slip past a beggar blocking your way during a chaseDMG 254
[td]Dexterity(Acrobatics)12Moving aong a sharp slope covered in loose gravel without sliding to the bottomOotA
[td]Dexterity(Acrobatics)15Get past a large obstacle such as a horse or cartDMG 254
[td]Dexterity(Acrobatics)15Run through a brawl unimpeded (failure means 2d4 dmg, brawl is difficult terrain)DMG 254
[td]Dexterity(Saving Throw)10Avoid being knocked prone by a stampede of spooked animalsDMG 254
[td]Dexterity(Saving Throw)10Make a sharp turn to avoid colliding with something impassable during a chaseDMG 254
[td]Dexterity(Saving Throw)10Navigate a sudden drop that catches you by surprise (failure means fall damage and prone)DMG 254
[td]Dexterity(Saving throw)10Remain standing while running on rain, spilled oil or other liquidDMG 254
[td]Dexterity(Saving Throw)15Avoid a patch of razorvine without taking damageDMG 254
[td]Dexterity(Saving Throw)15Avoid being caught in a hunter's snare after blundering into itDMG 254
[td]Dexterity(Thieves' Tools)15Disable a collapsing RoofDMG 122-123
[td]Dexterity(Thieves' Tools)15Disable a Falling Net trapDMG 122-123
[td]Dexterity(Thieves' Tools)15Disable a poison darts trapDMG 122-123
[td]Intelligence(Arcana)20Recognize a Sphere of Annihilation for what it isDMG 122-123
[td]Intelligence(Investigation)13Spotting that damage to a room is recentOotA
[td]Intelligence(Investigation)15Confirm that a hidden pit is indeed a pitDMG 122-123
[td]Intelligence(Investigation)15Deduce the presence of a poison dart trap's pressure plateDMG 122-123
[td]Intelligence(Investigation)15Notice a trap door on the ceiling for a rolling sphere trapDMG 122-123
[td]Intelligence(Investigation)15Notice the pressure plate for a rolling sphere trapDMG 122-123
[td]Intelligence(Investigation)20Find a buyer for a magic item you wish to sellDMG 130
[td]Intelligence(Investigation)20Spotting a poison needle trapOotA
[td]Intelligence(Nature)20Harvest poison from a subdued or dead venomous creatureDMG 258
[td]Intelligence(Poison Kit)20Harvest poison from a subdued or dead venomous creatureDMG 258
[td]Perception?10Spot a collapsing RoofDMG 122-123
[td]Perception?10Spot a fallen netDMG 122-123
[td]Perception?10Spot a simple pitDMG 122-123
[td]Perception?15Spot a fire-breathing statueDMG 122-123
[td]Perception?15Spot a poison darts trapDMG 122-123
[td]Stength(Athletics)10Pull yourself up onto a giant spiderweb after grabbing it to avoid a fallOotA
[td]Stength(Athletics)11Pull yourself out of a pit trap after making a dex save to grab the edgeOotA
[td]Strength10Free Someone from a fallen netDMG 122-123
[td]Strength18Single-handedly turn a two-man handcrank to operate a winch for an elevator large enough for 4 peopleOotA
[td]Strength20Force open the cover of a locking pitDMG 122-123
[td]Strength20Slow down or stop a triggered rolling sphere trapDMG 122-123
[td]Strength(Athletics)10Cross a stream, ravine, or rock bed during a chase. Failure means it counts as difficult terrainDMG 254
[td]Strength(Athletics)10Force your way through a crowd during a chase (failure means it's treated as difficult terrain)DMG 254
[td]Strength(Athletics)10Run through a patch of brush unimpeded during a chase (failure means it's counted as difficult terrain)DMG 254
[td]Strength(Athletics)10Slip past a beggar blocking your way during a chaseDMG 254
[td]Strength(Athletics)15Climbing a rocky chasm wall without rock climbing gearOotA
[td]Strength(Athletics)15Climbing out of the bottom of a muddy sinkholeOotA
[td]Strength(Athletics)15Run through a brawl unimpeded (failure means 2d4 dmg, brawl is difficult terrain)DMG 254
[td]Strength(Saving Throw)10Smash through a large stained glass window or similar barrier during a chaseDMG 254
[td]Wisdom(Insight)12Spotting that someone is uncomfortable with recent actions taken by their rulerOotA
[td]Wisdom(Perception)15Notice a trap door on the ceiling for a rolling sphere trapDMG 122-123
[td]Wisdom(Perception)15Notice the pressure plate for a rolling sphere trapDMG 122-123
[td]Wisdom(Perception)15Spot a hidden pitDMG 122-123
[td]Wisdom(Perception)15Spot a locking pitDMG 122-123
[td]Wisdom(Perception)15Spotting a hidden passageOotA
[td]Wisdom(Survival)10Not getting lost in the basic underdarkOotA
[td]Wisdom(Survival)10Track a creature on soft ground (+5 each day since, -5 if left a trail)DMG 244
[td]Wisdom(Survival)12Not getting lost in an actual mazeOotA
[td]Wisdom(Survival)15Track a creature on dirt or grass (same mods as soft ground)DMG 244
[td]Wisdom(Survival)20Track a creature on bare stone (same mods as soft ground)DMG 244[td]

If you feel like doing some data-entry yourself without worrying too much about the forum's table function, I can show you how I did it:

So, you enter the data into rows like I've shown above. To the right of each row, I put this code...

=""&B5&""&C5&""&D5&""&E5&"[td]"

..which turns an excel row from B5 to E5 into GITP's row format. Then I just dragged this down the table. Obviously the first row will be the column headers (i.e. "ability", "DC", "Description", "Source". Now you just have to put the table tags ("Table" and "/Table") such that all the forum table-code is enclosed by it.

You can sort the rows any which way you want. In excel, go to Data>Sort & Filter>Sort and you can give it priorities in filtering (i.e. "Ability", then "DC", then "Description" means it orders it by ability, then dc, then description.

Tanarii
2016-03-18, 11:07 AM
Sure. From D&D Expeditions adventures:

Although neither the characters nor the sellers are aware, two bandits—members of Phlan’s thieves’ guild called the Welcomers—hide in the loft. They can only be spotted with a successful DC 20 Wisdom (Perception) check, and only by someone in the loft above.
At this point, two skill checks are going to be most relevant during the exchange: a DC 10 Charisma (Deception) check and a DC 10 Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check. One successful Deception check is enough to convince the sellers that the characters are the legitimate buyers. Feel free to give a bonus to the check, or even automatic success, based on outstanding roleplaying. One successful Sleight of Hand check indicates that a character has planted the silver pin, assuming the characters can come up with a reasonable excuse to get close to the sellers.
The egg is a fake. Only after the characters take possession of the hide backpack and investigate closely can they even attempt to verify the authenticity of the egg, and even then it is a DC 20 Intelligence (Nature) check.
To remove the condition, the character must take an action to make a DC 10 Strength (Athletics) or deal 5 points of slashing damage to the net.
If any character takes the time to listen, a successful DC 10 Wisdom (Perception) check reveals that some soft, guttural mumbling is coming from behind the eastern wall where the passageway turns south. The same check reveals that small holes riddle the wall, allowing for viewing up the passage by creatures behind the wall. The piles of rubble are large enough to allow characters to hide as they move up the passage. The two goblins behind the eastern wall are not paying close attention, so a successful DC 10 Dexterity (Stealth) check lets a character sneak past unnoticed.
A tripwire has been set across the entrance to this room, roughly two feet above the ground. Any creature passing through the area containing the tripwire sets off the trap. The trap can be found with a successful DC 10 Wisdom (Perception) check and disabled by a character with a set of thieves’ tools with a successful DC 10 Dexterity check.
Gorrunk carries the keys to the prisoner cages, which can also be picked with a DC 15 Dexterity check, provided the character attempting this check has a set of thieves’ tools.
Secret Doors. Three secret doors are held within the spiral wall. They can be noticed with a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check.
If the characters sit on the throne, or search the throne with a successful DC 10 Intelligence (Investigation) check, they notice a hinged panel in the bottom of the throne. It is trapped with a poison needle trap, which is noticed with a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check and disabled with a successful DC 15 Dexterity check, provided the character attempting this check has a set of thieves’ tools.
A successful DC 15 Intelligence (Arcana) check reveals that the books and alchemical agents are all tied to necromantic magic, specifically targeted toward dragons.
If the characters use an action to mar a glyph with an attack (AC 10, 5 hp) or disable it with a successful DC 10 Intelligence (Arcana) check, a zombie is blinded until the end of its next turn.
The force field is impenetrable but can be brought down with a DC 10 Intelligence (Arcana) check or 5 points of force damage.
unusable. A successful DC 15 Intelligence (Arcana) check shows that the teleportation circle is probably linked to a similar circle elsewhere, and strong magic is needed to make use of the circles.
During these investigations, use DC 10 as the target number for any ability or skill checks the characters might attempt, but feel free to adjust those up or down based on the situation.
Any character succeeding at a DC 10 Intelligence (Nature) check knows that safflowers grow locally only within the Quivering Forest.
A successful DC 10 Intelligence (Arcana or Nature) check reveals this lightning is definitely magical—not naturally occurring— and shows no sign of dissipating. Also, there is no way to heal the man or stop the spell that is evident. A successful DC 15 Intelligence (Nature) check reveals that it is definitely the tooth of a blue dragon. Prying the tooth from the man (or any contact at all with anyone suffused with the energy) requires a DC 10 Strength check and does 2 (1d4) lightning damage each time it is attempted. A DC 10 Intelligence (Arcana) check reveals that the tooth can hold the lightning, but only if the lightning jumps to a person holding the tooth when the lightning reaches them.
The characters need to make a DC 10 Strength check to restrain her before she leaves, and then a DC 10 Charisma (Intimidate or Persuasion) check to get her to talk.
A DC 10 Wisdom (Perception) check from anyone listening at the door reveals occasional low whimpers and unintelligible babbling within. The door is locked, and a DC 10 Dexterity check is needed to pick the lock, provided the character attempting this check has a set of thieves’ tools. Otherwise, the door must be bashed down with a DC 10 Strength check.
To quiet the criminals before the guards come, a character must succeed at a DC 15 Charisma (Intimidation or Persuasion) check.
A character talking to him and succeeding at a DC 10 Wisdom (Insight) check can realize that he is not just mad, but he is homicidal and will attack if released.
If the character takes an action to calm Villonah—a successful DC 15 Charisma (Persuasion) check—then she still will not walk on her own, but she does not struggle against being carried.
If the characters can bring Villonah out of her stupor with a successful DC 10 Wisdom (Medicine) check, the gnome can confirm Yllivia is a friend.

Characters can do whatever they like to rescue a bystander. If an ability check is called for, one can be assigned—but the DC should not exceed 10. For example, a DC 10 Strength (Athletics) check to fight through the torrent of water to fish someone out, an Intelligence (Masonry or Carpentry tool proficiency) to brace a pile of rubble or collapsing building, or a Charisma (Persuasion) to convince others to help. Rubble. The street is strewn with rubble, deep puddles and slippery mud. Such difficult terrain can be avoided to some extent, but running certainly poses a risk. Any character moving using the Dash action must succeed a DC 10 Strength (athletics) or Dexterity (acrobatics) or fall prone at the end of the dash.
Calming it down, however, is not easy. Quelling the beast's anger requires a successful DC 20 Charisma (Persuasion) check. Attempts to intimidate the creature just make it angrier and prevent further diplomatic resolutions. If the character attempting the Charisma (Persuasion) check offers the creature a new home, the check is made with advantage.
The lead character must succeed at a DC 12 Wisdom (Survival) checks after each of the encounters during the trip (see Glacial Encounters, below) or become lost. Rangers that have chosen arctic terrain in conjunction with the natural explorer class feature automatically succeed at navigation checks. A failed check indicates that the characters must spend an additional day getting back on the correct path to the monastery, delaying progress on the Glacier Progress table, below.
Some crevices are difficult to see and require a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) to spot.
Otherwise, a character must succeed at a DC 20 Strength (Athletics) check to recover their lost equipment from the depths of the ravine.
Mounting the remorhaz requires either a successful DC 10 Strength (Athletics) check or DC 10 Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. Any character that succeeds by 5 more is able to mount the remorhaz without incident.
If the character succeeds on a DC 15 Strength (Athletics) check they are able to swim to either shore of the river 60 feet downstream. If the character fails, that character can try each round thereafter, moving another 60 feet downstream and taking another 10 (2d10) bludgeoning damage in the process.
Getting a grappling hook on the other side of the river might take a bit of time, but is eventually successful. Once there is a rope, climbing across is a DC 5 Strength (Athletics) check. Only when a second DC 5 Strength (Athletics) check is failed does a character fall in the water. The real threat is that it costs time, and the bugbears might take the opportunity to cut the rope
A DC 15 Wisdom (Insight) check reveals that he is not being entirely honest.
The narrow river above appears to have been diverted by an old dam. A dried up riverbed extends from the dam to the top of the draw. A character succeeding at a DC 10 Intelligence (Nature) check recognizes that this river likely formed the draw millennia ago. Were the dam destroyed, the river will no doubt resume its natural flow.
Also among the notes is a collection of sketches and notes on balloon design. character succeeding on a DC 15 Intelligence (A or carpentry tool proficiency) check can try to destroy a balloon in Part 3 when they are at 75% of their hit points, gain advantage attacking it and increase the chance of an explosion to 1 to 3 on a d6.
A character succeeding at a DC 10 Intelligence (Herbalism or Alchemy kit) check identifies the potent-smelling goo as some sort of wildlife repellant.
Alternatively, if the characters are disguising themselves as monks, his presence is a good foil. He should not automatically recognize the characters, but his presence could have them a DC 15 Bluff (Deception) check.
While not a lie, a DC 20 Wisdom (Insight) check reveals he is hiding something.
A failed Constitution (Endurance) DC 15 imposes disadvantage to all Strength, Dexterity or Constitution ability checks, saving throws or attacks until the next short rest.
Characters who study the logbook for a few hours and succeed on a DC 10 Intelligence (Investigation) check realize one person, Lotor Wood, visited a lot in the months preceding the storm, apparently to study the local plant and wildlife.
Those who search there and who succeed at a DC 15 Intelligence (Investigation) check find a piece of paper behind the desk.
Recognizing the poison for what it is, requires a DC 20 Intelligence (Nature). Otherwise it looks more like a simple case of food poisoning.
Santir hates falsifying records. To get him to do so requires good arguments and a DC 20 Charisma (Persuasion) check.
A DC 15 Intelligence (Arcana) check show that the large storm might very well be caused by an active elemental rift to the Elemental Plane of Air.
With such information the characters can spend another day researching rifts and similar elemental phenomena. A DC 15 Intelligence (Arcana) provides the Characters with a good amount of information, most of which is not important to this adventure, except for three things:
Characters can attune to the ritual by a DC 10 Intelligence (Arcana) check as an action.
Unless it is known that poisons have been used searching for out of place items requires a DC25 Investigation taking no less than 1d6+3 hours. This check reveals some suspicious plants and vials of liquid (proficient in Medicine or Nature to identify DC15). Knowing that they are looking for poison takes a DC25 Investigation check but it is much quicker (1d3 hours as it is still a lot of space and each cultist hid things in different locations).
Only characters who are able to cast magical healing or can demonstrate advanced knowledge of healing practices with a successful DC 20 Wisdom (Medicine) check are permitted to examine Mother Savahn.
Determining that her unconscious state is caused by poison is extremely difficult and requires a successful DC 25 Wisdom (Medicine) check.
They are well hidden, and finding them is more a matter of luck than skill. A DC 20 Intelligence (Investigation) check with a cumulative +5 bonus per day of searching simulates the search.
A DC 18 Intelligence (Religion) check associates the shrine with the Cult of the Howling Wind, otherwise the characters are more likely to associate it with Akadi, Lady of the Winds a neutral elemental deity whose worship in the Realms has all but disappeared.
Unless the characters are trailing a cultist, it is extremely unlikely they find it unless they spend an extensive time outdoors. Such a character can make a DC 25 Intelligence (Investigation) check per day with a cumulative +1 bonus for each day of searching.
Getting him to reveal all is difficult (DC25 Intimidation or DC30 Persuasion).
It is a relatively easy lock to pick, Dexterity with thieves’ tools DC 15.
Detecting a tripwire requires a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check. Once detected, the tripwires are relatively easy to disarm, requiring only a set of thieves' tools and a successful DC 10 Dexterity check.
Detecting the pressure plate requires a successful DC 20 Intelligence (Investigation) check. The pressure plate can be disarmed with a set of thieves' tools and a successful DC 20 Dexterity check.
The characters might discern that the door is trapped with a DC20 Intelligence (Investigation) check
The trap is detected with a successful DC 15 Intelligence (Investigation) check and can be disarmed by any character with thieves' tools that succeeds on a DC 15 Dexterity check.
Moving on the slate tile roof during combat requires a successful DC 15 Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. Failure means the creature falls prone. Attacks made by characters on the sloped roofs are made with disadvantage, unless the attacking character succeeds on a DC 10 Dexterity (Acrobatics) check.
Any character succeeding at a DC 15 Intelligence (Investigation) check realizes that the damaged walls are done in such a way that have completely separates the upper portion of the tower from its base, but does not cause the tower to fall. Characters with stonecunning or those that are proficient in masonry tools automatically succeed at this check.
The rod is bolted to the floor and wrenching it free hmrequires a DC 25 Strength check.
Characters can use an action to attune to the ritual with a successful DC 10 Intelligence (Arcana) check.

Note that the last DC 25 Strength check in the second one is basically impossible without some additional bonuses and a max Str character. That's probably intentional. It's a key component of the final encounter of the adventure. It sets a basically impossible DC for that approach to resolution, while also still leaving open the possibility of attempting the action if the PCs insist on trying.