PDA

View Full Version : Help spending gold

Aleolus
2016-03-17, 02:27 PM
So, I'm building a character for a game on here, and I am mostly done, but I need some help deciding what gear to get. Here he is (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=748957) for you to look at. Other than basic adventuring gear (rope, waterskin, backpack etc), what should I get with what I have? We were given average wbl for level 4 to start with

Gildedragon
2016-03-17, 02:48 PM
What sorta thing you doing with your vestige? What abilities does he have? Implements of binding? You could refluff the knife to be your wakisashi
Also any reason you aren't taking improved binding?
Ancestral relic might be good for your character flavor (feat wise)
Asking to know what role and idea you have for your character
What enhancements have your weapons got (special ore? +1?)

Aleolus
2016-03-17, 03:01 PM
Binding implements are good, I had forgotten those.

As for my vestige, it basically turns me into a pseudo-samurai, letting me wield both weapons at the same time as though I had Ex Weap Prof (Bastard Sword) and TWF. Both weapons are Mstwrk, standard steel. I actually just decided on taking Improved Binding because of the effect I realized it would have for my backstory.

Gildedragon
2016-03-17, 03:45 PM
I see. Any power outside of the feats? Other vestiges you bind? Because as is you'd prolly do better with a pure exoticist fighter to snag the weapon proficiency...
What armor you wearing? Looked into Shax's Handy Haversack thread (in these boards)?
What party role you want to fill? Also why the painting proficiency, building to a prc? Regardless: Any Cha Booster is your friend. A wand of Eagle Splendor or a headband of persuasion. If you can't afford them yet: they are something to build to

Aleolus
2016-03-17, 04:34 PM
Painting is purely for roleplay reasons, my class build is based on his backstory (and I plan to branch into KotSS as soon as I qualify, which will be one more level of Binder). I'm actually not sure how much I have left, after everything so far, which is part of why I'm looking for some advice.

And I don't know for sure on party role, but probably melee warrior and backup face

Gildedragon
2016-03-17, 05:58 PM
I see

So you have 6kgp

2150 from the +1 Great Armor (its ACP is -4 not -5)
300 from the wakizashi
400 from the katana

that leaves you with 3150gp
Implements of Binding +2: 1530 (-302 if the DM allows for your wakisashi or katana to be the magical masterwork knife)
Handy Haversack: 2000 gp (for ideas what to put in check the Equipment Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)))
A glammerweave vest 100.1gp (+1 to diplomacy checks)

Other things you might want to save up for:
Circlet of Persuasion (+3 competence to Charisma skills)
Cloak of Charisma (+2 enhancement to Cha)
Marvelous Pigments
all of those are 4kgp each
Great that painting boosts your backstory, but seven ranks is a bit much unless you have a plan for it. Those ranks could go to boosting your diplo or iai-focus. Painting is your best skill...

Now if all your vestige does is give you access to those two feats... there are easy permanent ways to get that; a single more level of fighter will get you one and an HD boost, and if you do exoticist fighter you will get both. Also seeing how your default weapon seems to be the katana, I'd advice to get the ewp as a permanent thing. If pathfinder material is allowed:A Cracked Opalescent White Pyramid iounstone (1500gp) keyed to katana will make it a martial weapon for you.

Aleolus
2016-03-17, 06:36 PM
Oh no, that's only one of the things my main vestige does. It also gives me Uncanny Dodge, the ability to use Power Attack to deal damage as though I were using a 2-handed weapon when only using a 1-handed one (only 1/5rounds), and a bonus on Diplomacy-like checks in appropriate situations.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-17, 11:24 PM
Given that I'm looking at playing a game with you on the forum, should I look at that or just back away slowly?

Aleolus
2016-03-18, 01:38 AM
You can look at him if you want, I don't care if the other players have seen my sheet

Âmesang
2016-03-18, 07:47 AM
How much does a Walkman™ cost in gold pieces? :smallbiggrin:

Aleolus
2016-03-18, 11:51 AM
How much does a Walkman™ cost in gold pieces? :smallbiggrin:

I lol'd. Very nice.

Gildedragon
2016-03-18, 12:18 PM
Clearly it is an alternate headband of charisma.
The vestige doesn't provide any shield bonus, though? Cause if he did, say, manifest a floating buckler or other sort of shield, you could go for some lighter armor; something cheaper that didn't kill your movement speed perhaps

Aleolus
2016-03-18, 01:06 PM
I originally had him give a Parry bonus based off of your BAB, but the DM nixed that into the bonus on diplomacy like checks

Gildedragon
2016-03-18, 01:57 PM
Armor ideas: Since you seem to be using OA for your armor.

Mwk Chain Shirt: 250
Mwk Chahar-aina: 225
Mwk Dastana: 175
AC: +6
ACP: -1
Max Dex: 4
Full speed
Cost: 650 gp
Weight: 40lb
Time to don(hastily)/remove: 11 rounds(5 rounds)/11 rounds, can be done solo, with help time is cut in half

Compared to the MWK Great Armor

AC: -1
ACP: -4
Max Dex: +2
Speed: +10'
Cost: -500gp
Weight: -5lb
Time to don (hastily)/remove: 2 minutes faster and can be done solo (unlike the great armor)

also more separate items means they can be separately enchanted for different bonuses.
for 2000 more gp you get a +1 to the dastana and a +1 to the chain.

Aleolus
2016-03-18, 02:13 PM
Hmm. Definitely good advice, and I may just go with that. The main thing I am hesitating about though is I am trying for the image of "Samurai", and the Great Armor fits that image almost perfectly

EDIT: Oh, and I already had a Masterwork Dastana. I just did the math, and trading my +1 Great Armor the way you're suggesting Id be able to affor both a +1 to the Chain Shirt and te Dastana, leaving my net AC the same. What kind of bonus does the other one you mentioned give, though?