PDA

View Full Version : Storing your weapon for safe travels

LairdMaon
2016-03-17, 02:30 PM
Funny thought...
Magic weapons in tabletop games. Does anyone think about their sheaths?
Example: Flaming sword. How do you carry a constantly on fire sword? I didn't think to pack a spare fire-proof anything, damn!

Has anyone faced such a thing or caused their players to deal with it? What happened?

erok0809
2016-03-17, 03:16 PM
For me, things like flaming would happen when the weapon is drawn, because now it's being wielded. It's magic; it can know the difference between in the sheath and not in the sheath. Plus, this way you don't have a constant fire hazard strapped to your hip/back, and it can be a cool visual with the sword coming alight as you unsheath it.

LairdMaon
2016-03-17, 03:29 PM
This assumes that you found it with a serviceable sheath. What if it didn't come with one handy?

erok0809
2016-03-17, 03:41 PM
This assumes that you found it with a serviceable sheath. What if it didn't come with one handy?

Then it would come alight when picked up, but go off when put down or stowed in a bag or something else to that effect. For me, with how magic pervades the world, the sword doesn't need to have actual intelligence in order to be "intelligent" enough to know when it's being wielded. You would also have the option to turn the flames off if you wanted, at least temporarily, so that you could examine or show off the blade if you wanted.

Gallowglass
2016-03-17, 03:49 PM
There is no rule-based reason to believe that the flaming sword (or any similar hazard sword) will be aflame when not being actively wielded for combat. In fact, its usually safe to assume that the bearer of the sword can will or command word the flames on and off in case they want to use the sword as a regular sword against a fire-friendly foe. If the blade is disarmed, the flame goes out as the blade hits the ground only to turn back on when someone new grabs it with the intention of violence.

I think in most cases, the bearer can just sheathe it into a normal sheathe with the flames turned off, then turn the flames on when they draw it again for combat.

If your GM has given you a "cursed" flaming sword that is always alight and you find yourself tasked with how to deal with that I guess I would recommend throwing it into a lake and moving on to the next treasure horde.

If you simply MUST solve this puzzle, then I would hold the sword steady and safely while getting a colleague to fetch you a tall vase of water or sword oil. Plunge the blade into fluid to extinguish and cool it. Let it sit in the vase while you fireproof some canvas or cured hides. Then quickly pull the blade free and wrap it in the hides before it reignites. Cord it up tight choking the air away from it so that it can't reignite, but leave the hilt exposes so that you can draw the blade if needed. This should suffice until you get to a large enough city to commission a fireproof scabbard. If you end up needing to draw it before then, then you'll have to redo the whole laborious process.

LairdMaon
2016-03-17, 04:00 PM
I'll accept these thoughts.

I like the idea of it being cursed... Perhaps I'll use that on a party sometime.

Gallowglass
2016-03-17, 04:07 PM
Journey deep into the arctic hills, holding aloft your firebrand blade as a torch to light your way. At night, when you sleep, plunge the blade into the earth in the center of your fire pit.

Once there, locate a frost man http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/frost-man

As he smiles his crooked tooth smile and raises his reindeer antler bow, seize his eyepatch and rip it from his head, then plunge your blade into the empty howling socket through the swirling cold blast that emits there.

He will thank you for ending his torment, then die.

rip out his head, neck, esophagus and part of his intestines. prepare them in the old way, bind them, and sling them over your back.

Congratulations on your new scabbard.

LairdMaon
2016-03-17, 04:09 PM
Journey deep into the arctic hills, holding aloft your firebrand blade as a torch to light your way. At night, when you sleep, plunge the blade into the earth in the center of your fire pit.

Once there, locate a frost man http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/frost-man

As he smiles his crooked tooth smile and raises his reindeer antler bow, seize his eyepatch and rip it from his head, then plunge your blade into the empty howling socket through the swirling cold blast that emits there.

He will thank you for ending his torment, then die.

rip out his head, neck, esophagus and part of his intestines. prepare them in the old way, bind them, and sling them over your back.

Congratulations on your new scabbard.

That's beautiful.

MisterKaws
2016-03-17, 08:07 PM
DMG 224:

Upon command, a flaming weapon is sheathed in fire.

Done.

LairdMaon
2016-03-17, 08:23 PM
Good call.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-17, 09:56 PM
There are also a variety of items that can store your weapons in extradimensional spaces, the Glove of Storing or the Quiver of Ehlonna thereby eliminating any concerns dealing with storage and transport.

Vogie
2016-03-18, 01:01 PM
Other fun ways to store weapons

Permanent Shrink Item - making it 1/16 of its normal size in each dimension, you can also change its now shrunken composition to a clothlike one. If unable to cast it yourself, you can use a Security Belt
Ancestor Oracle's make their ancestral weapon vanish when not in use. Wood and Metal Oracles can do the same
A Called Weapon can return to hand from anywhere within 100 feet.
If you have at least 2 levels in bard, medium, mesmerist, occultist, psychic, sorcerer/wizard, or witch, you can tag it with Apport Object.
Any weapons Can be stored and retrieved in Gauntlets of the Weaponmaster or weapons up to 20 lbs can be hidden in Gloves of Storing