PDA

View Full Version : No Save Buffs/Debuffs

ATHATH
2016-03-17, 04:22 PM
I'm currently designing a "dungeon" based around a ruined experimental weapons lab, and I want one of the wings to feature the Reciprocal Gyre spell. I'm going to have a few golems (or undead, I haven't decided yet) walking around with their left hands replaced with Spell Turrets that cast Reciprocal Gyre on intruders. They'll be accompanied by numerous Spellstitched Crawling Claws that will cast as many no-save, long duration buffs/debuffs as they can on the PC's.

Does the Playground know of any good spells to put in them?

ATHATH
2016-03-17, 04:25 PM
I just remembered that the Crawling Claws won't have enough WIS to be Spellstitched. Do any of you know of any decent high-Wis, low CR undead?

Inevitability
2016-03-17, 04:31 PM
I just remembered that the Crawling Claws won't have enough WIS to be Spellstitched. Do any of you know of any decent high-Wis, low CR undead?

Crawling Claws aren't even undead to begin with, but that aside, a Ghoul is CR 1 with 14 wisdom.

Malimar
2016-03-17, 06:30 PM

Short of slapping a wisdom-preserving undeadifying template on high-wisdom creatures, here's what you've got to work with:

As Dire_Stirge says, Ghoul at 14 wisdom, CR1.
Crypt Thing (Fiend Folio) at 15 wisdom, CR3.
Gravehound (Miniatures Handbook) at 17 wisdom, CR3.
There's nothing with better wisdom than that until the Atropal Scion (Libris Mortis), at 22 wisdom, CR11.
Past that (not that it matters, but as long as I've got the comparison open), the best is Hunefer (Epic Level Handbook), at 38 wisdom, CR25.

ATHATH
2016-03-17, 07:40 PM
Ah. Ok, I think I'll go with some Human Warrior Skeletons with some Ghouls mixed in.

Does anyone have any spell suggestions? They'll have to be Spellstitchable.

ATHATH
2016-03-18, 04:05 PM
Do Ghouls need to eat flesh to survive? Is there a way to bind one to a specific task (other than Brains in Jars)?

Inevitability
2016-03-19, 01:43 AM
Do Ghouls need to eat flesh to survive? Is there a way to bind one to a specific task (other than Brains in Jars)?

Libris Mortis tells us they need flesh every 3d6 months to avoid losing mobility and sentience. However, they never actually 'die', and an immobile ghoul can be restored to unlife by feeding it some flesh.

Maybe there's rows and rows of immobile ghouls with a few constructs set to feed them the moment intruders approach?

Binding ghouls to a specific task would be tricky. You can Polymorph Any Object them into a frog, Mindrape them, and wait for the spell to wear off, but that requires very powerful magic.

Venger
2016-03-21, 07:00 PM
here's a good list:

barkskin
buzzing bee
create magic tattoo
familial geas
metal skin
power word pain

ATHATH
2016-03-21, 11:42 PM
Libris Mortis tells us they need flesh every 3d6 months to avoid losing mobility and sentience. However, they never actually 'die', and an immobile ghoul can be restored to unlife by feeding it some flesh.

Maybe there's rows and rows of immobile ghouls with a few constructs set to feed them the moment intruders approach?

Binding ghouls to a specific task would be tricky. You can Polymorph Any Object them into a frog, Mindrape them, and wait for the spell to wear off, but that requires very powerful magic.
Would a Spellturret/trap of Create Food and Water work? Is there a way to make it only activate when the Ghouls have done their tasks for a while (serve or starve)?

Venger
2016-03-21, 11:49 PM
Would a Spellturret/trap of Create Food and Water work? Is there a way to make it only activate when the Ghouls have done their tasks for a while (serve or starve)?

No, here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm#designingATrap) is a list of way you can trigger stuff on a trap.