Nosta
2016-03-17, 04:49 PM
I have 4 feats for my level 1 fighter
and i'd like to know what feats he should take

he has 16 dex and 12 str

i'm thinking of using a greatbow but not sure if I want to spend a feat on it

Elder_Basilisk
2016-03-17, 04:53 PM
3.5 or PF, the first three should be point blank shot, precise shot, and rapid shot.

For the last feat, you've got some options: Greatbow proficiency would not be bad (since your strength is on the low side for an archer), weapon focus would help you hit, and Improved Initiative is never a bad selection--especially for a ranged character.

If you are planning on sticking with fighter, you'll definitely have enough feats to be able to spend one on greatbow, so that shouldn't be the concern.

daremetoidareyo
2016-03-17, 06:13 PM

he has 16 dex and 12 str

Race?

What prestige class do you want? Or is it too soon for that?

Darrin
2016-03-17, 09:30 PM

Four? Usually it's three: 1st level feat, fighter bonus, and human bonus.

How about:

1) Fighter 1. Feat: Point Blank Shot. Feat: Rapid Shot. Bonus: Weapon Focus. Human: Precise Shot.
2) Fighter 2. Bonus: Combat Expertise (requires Int 13).
3) Fighter 3. Feat: Sense Weakness (Draconomicon).
4) Fighter 4. Bonus: Weapon Specialization.
5) Fighter 5.
6) Fighter 6. Feat: Manyshot. Bonus: Improved Rapid Shot (Complete Warrior).

If you don't have the Int for Combat Expertise/Sense Weakness, Dead Eye (Dragon Compendium, *NOT* the PHBII version) is good, but requires Dex 17.

It's a tough call... on one hand, the +1 damage is probably not worth a feat. On the other hand... archery is typically so underpowered, you scrape for every damage point you can get.

You might want to take a look at the Bone Bow in Frostburn. It does the same damage as a greatbow, but it also has this text: "A bone bow functions as a composite longbow with regard to applying the user's Strength bonus to damage done with arrows shot from it." To some people, this means it automatically adjusts to your Strength bonus without having to pay for a separate "Mighty" composite bow. For others, it just means you have to pay for the "Mighty" bonus just like any other composite bow. Check with your DM and see what he/she prefers.

tiercel
2016-03-17, 10:02 PM
A bard can really help an archer out. If you've got one in your party, awesome; if not, and you have access to the Spell Compendium and Magic Item Compendium books, a 4-level dip in bard might be pretty tasty:

Inspire Courage + inspirational boost spell,known and/or wand {SpC} + Badge of Valor {MIC} = +3 hit/damage to all your, and party's, attacks four times a day

2nd level bard spells

Skill points

Shoring up your Reflex and Will saves

Problem is, you'd need a Charisma of 14 to take full advantage (so you actually get 2nd level spells). You'd need an 11 Cha to at least get 1st level spells (and would probably want a wand of inspirational boost in any case).

Sillybird99
2016-03-18, 12:12 AM
Crossbow sniper is a nice feat to add damage to your rolls. More of a rogue feat though.