PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Gaining reach on a tiny or smaller creature

Aegis013
2016-03-17, 08:07 PM
I'm looking at playing an eldritch glaive based warlock in a potentially upcoming game. I'm strongly considering the Hengeyokai sparrow (Dragon Mag 318 update to +0 LA) as my race, is there a way to gain reach as a creature with natural reach of 0 ft to make best use of eldritch glaive in sparrow form to take advantage of the physical stats and flight speed, without using feats?

My feats are selected and I don't have space for more, I'm just curious if anybody has a way without feats.

I've talked with the DM about ruling reach weapons to change 0ft reach to 5ft, but he's a hard sell when it comes to houserules. It'd be easier on both of us if I could do it within the rules.

HunterOfJello
2016-03-17, 08:12 PM
the Tripping Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8774.0) has a number of methods ofor obtaining reach

HalfQuart
2016-03-17, 08:36 PM
As a Hengeyokai, you qualify for Warshaper (CW), and Warshaper 3 gives +5' reach. If your feats are already all spoken for, then a 3-level dip probably isn't very appealing, although Warshaper is pretty nice: immune to crits (and stunning), a natural attack, and +4 Str and +4 Con. Sticking around through level 4 gets you fast healing 2.

Necroticplague
2016-03-17, 08:58 PM
A whip has a flat 15 foor range, regardless of size. So just wield one of those. You don't threaten, but you at least get to make attacks.

Aegis013
2016-03-17, 09:48 PM
A whip has a flat 15 foor range, regardless of size. So just wield one of those. You don't threaten, but you at least get to make attacks.

This doesn't really help me attack with the Eldritch Glaive, though.

Warshaper is a good find, and I do qualify, but it would be difficult to fit it into the build at this time.

I don't know if there is a more appealing option out there, so thanks for the responses so far.

Tiri
2016-03-17, 11:10 PM
Inhuman Reach gives you a 5-foot reach and a +2 on Climb checks. It does come at a price of the Aberrant Blood feat and a -1 to attack, but it's still only two feats and you're making touch attacks anyway.

daremetoidareyo
2016-03-17, 11:25 PM
fiendish graft: long arm, illithid graft; raking tentacle? Fiend Folio...

Maybe a tentacle whip (eberron Campaign setting p. 300)

Aegis013
2016-03-18, 12:10 AM
fiendish graft: long arm, illithid graft; raking tentacle? Fiend Folio...

Hmm... would the long arm graft continue working post transformation into a bird? If so, it might be perfect, since I'll have access to Magic-Mart throughout the game. (And an Artificer in the party)

Sillybird99
2016-03-18, 12:52 AM
I thought I read a few years ago about a "reaching" weapon enhancement. Maybe you could talk him into a home brew if you can't dig it up from the depths of splat?

Aegis013
2016-03-18, 01:00 AM
I thought I read a few years ago about a "reaching" weapon enhancement. Maybe you could talk him into a home brew if you can't dig it up from the depths of splat?

Splat diving is going to be easier for me than getting a homebrew rule introduced. However, Eldritch Glaive is an ability (a blast shape for Warlock's Eldritch Blast, found in Dragon Magic), so I don't think a weapon enhancement is going to work out. Thank you for responding though.