PDA

View Full Version : Custom Legacy Items Question

inuyasha
2016-03-17, 10:04 PM
Okay, so completely ignoring the fact that legacy weapons are underpowered, and that over half of the book is lame (I said ignoring so let's not go there), I want to ask any DMs here if they've made ones for their campaign, and if you have, did you let your players (or the one that took the item) see the full progression chart for the item? Or did you keep it hidden from them, merely showing them the new bonuses and abilities as they appeared?

Gildedragon
2016-03-17, 11:10 PM
Okay, so completely ignoring the fact that legacy weapons are overpowered, and that over half of the book is lame (I said ignoring so let's not go there), I want to ask any DMs here if they've made ones for their campaign, and if you have, did you let your players (or the one that took the item) see the full progression chart for the item? Or did you keep it hidden from them, merely showing them the new bonuses and abilities as they appeared?

Depends: if it was a legacy item tied to them (family heirloom etc) i built the item with them, their interests, etc...
if it is not tied to them but a legendary item I gave them an idea of its theme and future abilities.

inuyasha
2016-03-17, 11:22 PM
Depends: if it was a legacy item tied to them (family heirloom etc) i built the item with them, their interests, etc...
if it is not tied to them but a legendary item I gave them an idea of its theme and future abilities.

Fair enough. It's a short sword that they gained from an ally they made who then used it to commit suicide, the players then took the short sword and as he was a powerful and terrifying serial killer in life I decided that his spirit would inhabit and enhance his weapon in death.

Crake
2016-03-17, 11:43 PM
Okay, so completely ignoring the fact that legacy weapons are overpowered, and that over half of the book is lame (I said ignoring so let's not go there), I want to ask any DMs here if they've made ones for their campaign, and if you have, did you let your players (or the one that took the item) see the full progression chart for the item? Or did you keep it hidden from them, merely showing them the new bonuses and abilities as they appeared?

Okay, so completely ignoring the fact that legacy weapons are overpowered

legacy weapons are overpowered

Bahahahahaha

To answer your other questions, you should let the players see what it is they will be getting before they invest thousands of gp into the legacy weapon to unlock it's powers. At the very least, show them all the levels they will unlock with whichever ritual is next as part of the research in discovering what the ritual is in the first place, nobody wants to invest into something blindly, especially only to find out it's something they don't want.

Personally I have never had an opportunity to use legacy weapons, but that's because I much more like to focus on the players rather than their stuff, so I usually instead grant them various kinds of templates or abilities, or even entire racial savage progressions.

inuyasha
2016-03-17, 11:46 PM
*snip*

I actually meant to write underpowered, I think my brain messed up somewhere. I should also mention that I've removed the stupid costs and penalties with Legacy Items, only keeping the minor sidequests to unlock abilities, and even then I'm keeping them fairly simple, yet still thematically appropriate.

Crake
2016-03-18, 01:54 AM
I actually meant to write underpowered, I think my brain messed up somewhere. I should also mention that I've removed the stupid costs and penalties with Legacy Items, only keeping the minor sidequests to unlock abilities, and even then I'm keeping them fairly simple, yet still thematically appropriate.

Ah cool, removing the penalties should help make them less terrible, just don't do what one of my previous DMs did, and make players actually spend feats on the legacy weapon feats, the players get them as bonus feats by doing the rituals.

Gildedragon
2016-03-18, 04:17 AM
Fair enough. It's a short sword that they gained from an ally they made who then used it to commit suicide, the players then took the short sword and as he was a powerful and terrifying serial killer in life I decided that his spirit would inhabit and enhance his weapon in death.
Give them a notion of that. Also with the item being ghost inhabited make it an intelligent item.