PDA

View Full Version : Poor O'Chul [spoiler]

Castamir
2007-06-20, 04:41 AM
So, here's paralyzed O'Chul lying on the plain, and the group of PCs is going to walk past soon... and the Spot DC to notice he's not dead is 20.

Considering the party's legendary amount of ranks in Spot, I see something cruel what's bound to happen. That is, unless Shlubbo Noname-Zaki has more skill than the paladins sent to investigate Lirian's gate.

squidthingy
2007-06-20, 06:32 AM
The paladin's couldn't search, they could spot, two different skills

Nathander
2007-06-20, 11:37 AM
I doubt they'll find O'Chul. In a lot of ways, I'm expecting that O'Chul needs to get ready for a long, hard road as either a whipping boy/pack mule for Redcloak and Xykon who they degrade constantly, or as a toy for the MiTD, as I see Xykon and Redcloak allowing it if the MiTD doesn't shut up about how bored he is and asks them for it.

Holy_Knight
2007-06-20, 12:05 PM
Yeah, like Nathander, I'm more worried about the fact that O'chul fell right smack dab into enemy lines, where there's probably no chance any allies would see him anyway. Unless something very lucky happens, he'll probably be captured and tortured. Just imagine the sadistic fun Xykon and Redcloak would have with their very own captured paladin to play with. :smallfurious:

Liliedhe
2007-06-20, 12:15 PM
@Holy: Now you scare me... :smalleek:

RobbyPants
2007-06-20, 12:23 PM
Yeah, he's not in a good place.

Garriath
2007-06-20, 12:38 PM
...the group of PCs is going to walk past soon...

How could they? He's returned to the celestial realms :smallwink: .

But anyhow, I doubt we'll see O'Chul massacred or tortured to death. The storyline's been grim enough, and I can't see the Giant adding something that macabre without significant plot enhancement. I'd say we will probably:
a) See nothing of him at all ever again. A little dark, but nothing noticeable.
b) See him escape, or somehow saved (intentionally or no...) by the MitD.

Then again, I suppose we'll find out in the next few weeks.

Fighteer
2007-06-20, 01:38 PM
It's also possible that he is dead, and Rich is simply playing with the whole "paralyzed creatures are indistinguishable from dead ones" concept. He was just as close to the blast as Miko, and was unable to make Reflex saves due to being paralyzed. Unless his Constitution score is ungodly, there's not even the slightest chance he survived.

jamroar
2007-06-20, 01:59 PM
It's also possible that he is dead, and Rich is simply playing with the whole "paralyzed creatures are indistinguishable from dead ones" concept. He was just as close to the blast as Miko, and was unable to make Reflex saves due to being paralyzed. Unless his Constitution score is ungodly, there's not even the slightest chance he survived.

However, it wasn't the blast or the fall that did Miko in, but the additional damage from the flying chair that cut her in two, and that didn't happen with O-Chul, so at least he has a chance.

Green Bean
2007-06-20, 02:05 PM

Oddly, you can still make Reflex saves when paralysed. You'll simply have a -5 penalty because your DEX is 0. Of course, if Ochul rolled a 20...

MReav
2007-06-20, 03:13 PM
You know, he could just Summon Mount his mount once the MitD gets bored of him. It's a spell-like ability, so he doesn't need any actions to get it.

Deepblue706
2007-06-20, 03:24 PM
MitD will suddenly declare O'Chul his friend, somehow make him not-paralyzed, and help him escape. He'll leave Xykon too. And, O'Chul will teach him the ways of the Paladin.

Then, the MitD will become so holy a paladin, that he'll radiate great amounts of light....so much that you still can't see what the hell he is.

MReav
2007-06-20, 03:31 PM
MitD will suddenly declare O'Chul his friend, somehow make him not-paralyzed, and help him escape. He'll leave Xykon too. And, O'Chul will teach him the ways of the Paladin.

Then, the MitD will become so holy a paladin, that he'll radiate great amounts of light....so much that you still can't see what the hell he is.

:mitd:: Yes! I'm no longer shrouded by darkness! Now I can see myself!

*Looks into mirror*

:mitd:: Agh! My eyes!

Green Bean
2007-06-20, 04:18 PM
Alas, poor O-chul! I knew him, Miko: a fellow
of infinite patience, of most excellent fancy: he hath
borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how
abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at
it. Here hung those hands that have cleaned the litter box I know
not how oft. Where be your cat now? your
sword? your Gate? your flashes of impatience,
that were wont to set the table on a roar? Not one
now, to mock your own grinning? quite Miko-fallen?
Now get you to my lich’s chamber, and tell him, let
him raise him as a zombie, to this favour he must
come; make him laugh at that. Prithee, Miko, tell
me one thing.

Fighteer
2007-06-20, 04:33 PM
However, it wasn't the blast or the fall that did Miko in, but the additional damage from the flying chair that cut her in two, and that didn't happen with O-Chul, so at least he has a chance.
We don't know that for sure, unless Rich actually posts the dice rolls in question and reveals Miko's and O-Chul's hit points.

Oddly, you can still make Reflex saves when paralysed. You'll simply have a -5 penalty because your DEX is 0. Of course, if Ochul rolled a 20...
Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing exactly how much damage the Gate's explosion did, nor whether it allowed a Reflex save, but we can theorycraft a few things:

The Gate explosion, plus falling damage, plus possibly a flying chair, was enough to kill Miko. Probably significant overkill, too.

O'Chul is lower level than Hinjo, who is lower level than Miko. He is, furthermore, probably not combat-optimized in the way that Miko is (although that's just a guess). There's no reason to grant him a particularly high Constitution bonus, and unless he also happened to take Monk or Rogue levels by some strange coincidence, he doesn't have Evasion.

Therefore he probably has less hit points than Miko, could not take less than half damage from the blast (assuming a save was even possible), and must have taken close to the maximum possible falling damage (no Tumble or Jump check to mitigate it, since he's paralyzed). It's barely possible that he survived if the initial blast damage wasn't enough to kill him and he rolled minimum falling damage.

AyuVince
2007-06-20, 04:35 PM
Sorry for making a fuss about spelling, but it's O-Chul. He ain't Irish.

Well, seeing that the OotS will probably try to pick up Roy's corpse, they might actually stumble across the MitD's tea party. I mean, umbrella dude is picknicking out somewhere on the battlefield and not inside AC. While the OotS really do have abysmal spot checks, Hinjo will definitely notice his best paladin sitting at a tea table and will go check on him. Since O-Chul makes a great ally, Haley will likely drag him along. Durkon can fix the paralyzation problem later.

the mysterian
2007-06-20, 04:38 PM
he is as good as dead, he will choke on MITDs tea

TheNovak
2007-06-20, 04:39 PM
Oh, don't worry about O'chul. He'll keep a stiff upper lip.

BRC
2007-06-20, 04:42 PM
Oh, don't worry about O'chul. He'll keep a stiff upper lip.

That was a horrible pun and you should be ashamed.

TheNovak
2007-06-20, 04:44 PM
Sorry, don't hurt me...I'm absolutely petrified of the repercussions.

Username
2007-06-20, 05:20 PM
It is my theory that as long as there is some new way for him to be humiliated, O-chul will live.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-06-20, 05:26 PM
O-Chul has a plot position, and this is what I think it will be:

O-Chul saw Miko destroy the gate but he didn't hear Soon's after action report to Miko. Durkon and the rest are currently thinking that O-Chul was the one that blew the gate (see Durkon's comment). Now, if sacrificing yourself for your city/state is a Medal of Honor worthy act, how will Hinjo take Miko having done the same act?

Hinjo has a budget for raise dead/remove curse. O-Chul would be one of those Hinjo would have brought back into action. If O-Chul testifies, will Hinjo bother going back to the throne room to retrieve Miko? What about if Roy and Miko end up talking in the waiting room of Celestia, they chat, and Roy also puts in the good word for Miko as well...

Oh, and to get on to the humor part:
I think O-Chul will be found propped up with a tea cup in his hand, and a flowered hat on his head.

Aquillion
2007-06-20, 05:33 PM
It's also possible that he is dead, and Rich is simply playing with the whole "paralyzed creatures are indistinguishable from dead ones" concept. He was just as close to the blast as Miko, and was unable to make Reflex saves due to being paralyzed. Unless his Constitution score is ungodly, there's not even the slightest chance he survived.There is at least one explosion in the game that's very similar to the gate explosion that automatically kills the person who sets it off, but only does damage to everyone else (retributive strike from smashing a Staff of the Magi--50% chance the person who broke it gets thrown to another dimension, but otherwise, they're toast, with no saving throw allowed.) I wouldn't be surprised if the gate explosion is based on that.

But there's a better reason to think that he survived: If he didn't, and assuming Miko never comes back, everything we saw in the throne room was pointless. Why go through that complicated plot if every witness who cares is going to die anyway?

Fighteer
2007-06-20, 05:34 PM
But there's a better reason to think that he survived: If he didn't, and assuming Miko never comes back, everything we saw in the throne room was pointless. Why go through that complicated plot if every witness who cares is going to die anyway?
Ah, yes, the almighty power of plot. Why not?

stabbybelkar
2007-06-20, 06:00 PM
:mitd:: Yes! I'm no longer shrouded by darkness! Now I can see myself!

*Looks into mirror*

:mitd:: Agh! My eyes!

thats just mean :amused:

basilisk 89
2007-06-20, 08:06 PM
So, here's paralyzed O'Chul lying on the plain, and the group of PCs is going to walk past soon... and the Spot DC to notice he's not dead is 20.

Considering the party's legendary amount of ranks in Spot, I see something cruel what's bound to happen. That is, unless Shlubbo Noname-Zaki has more skill than the paladins sent to investigate Lirian's gate.

Sweet merciful twelve gods...that was hilarious. I can't...can't stop laughing...

holywhippet
2007-06-20, 08:23 PM
My guess is that Xykon or Redcloak are eventually going to remember that the MitD is outside of the city and they'll send for him. The MitD will leave O'Chul behind and someone (hopefully the OotS) will find him on their way out. They have to go that way to pick up Roy anyway.

Quikngruvn
2007-06-20, 09:21 PM

Conceivably, Invisible V could have witnessed the goings-on in the Throne Room and managed to hightail it out of there before the gate exploded, and could thus report back to Roy and Hinjo what really happened in the Throne Room.