PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Modules

SMac8988
2016-03-18, 09:29 AM
Hello all, I am looking to add a small murder mystery aspect to an up coming session. Something simple, only taking a hour or so, but still gets the group involved.

Does anyone know of a 5e module, or a previous one I can modify for my needs. I have looked at Assassin's knot, seeing how often it is suggested, but seems very in depth for my needs.

Thanks!

Falcon X
2016-03-18, 10:47 AM
Definitely nothing published for 5e. Closest you will get is Curse of Strahd because it involves some hunting around for things, or the Carnath Roadhouse from Hoard of the Dragon Queen or Blingdenstone from Out of the Abyss could be modified into a murder mystery situation.

My personal murder mystery setup in D&D is in a small sub-arctic town (think Alaska). The primary industry is fishing and the primary entertainment is drinking at the bar. There is also an underground fungus garden (connected to tunnels).
Regardless, someone is murdered and there is a town meeting about it. The characters can either be townspeople or travelling adventurers. The problem is that the accused person really has no idea what's going on. Clues and false clues should be dropped. An underground farmer winds up dead and a bloody hoe is found in another one's toolshed. The local baker poisons some of the food he is selling which immediately points towards the local herbologist, but the specific herb gives a specific clue to someone or somewhere else. things like that.
Ultimately, it ends up being an aboleth hiding somewhere in the city, likely in the underground tunnels. It has been controlling people's minds to do his dirty work. Think of a psycopathic killer who wants to see just how smart his pursuers are.
If the players are just townspeople, outright combat might not be an option, and a new adventure of how to get rid of the thing opens up. Otherwise, they just fight the thing to death.

You could do the one from my favorite game of all time, Quest for Glory 4. Igor, the gravedigger who nobody usually likes, has gone missing, and now the city has decided they like Igor and are going to avenge his death.
They capture a gypsy, because everyone knows gypsies are werewolves, and this one was caught hanging around outside the gate on the evening Igor went missing. He will be hanged/burned in three days time. The gypsy is locked up by the sheriff/burgomaster and can be talked to for clues. Heck, a player can even help the gypsy escape if too many days pass.
Ultimately, what happened is that Igor fell into one of his own graves and a tombstone fell over the opening, sealing him in and maybe giving a minor injury. It's hard to tell, because the graveyard is haunted and any moaning Igor makes (and he should make), might sound like a ghost. Heck, having a ghost fight to mask it is a pretty good idea.

There's also this awesome board game/rpg/murder mystery: http://www.amazon.com/Asmodee-SCTS01US-ASM-Time-Stories-Board/dp/B013TRQLJO

Edit: Found this review of the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. Poster says it's the "Scooby Doo" of D&D modules. http://geekdad.com/2013/05/top-10-dd-mod-3-3/