PDA

View Full Version : CK2: Tips for Taking over Ireland as the Petty King of Gwynedd?

MonkeySage
2016-03-18, 11:11 AM
The year is 807. I'm the universally hated homosexual tyrant ruler of 2 counties in Gwynedd; I've recently banished my ambitious brother who wanted my title, as he was weakening my forces in the midst of constant viking incursions and an going war for Dyfed.

Since Dyfed is under the control of the Petty King of Deheubarth, I have turned my eyes to the weak tribes of Ireland. Going forward, as a relatively new player, what should I do?

I have several daughters whom I've married off, and 2 sons, one of whom will inherit everything because I've switched to Primogeniture.

My best chancellor can't forge a claim to save his life... I've been trying for over a decade to get another claim in Wales.

OrcusMcP
2016-03-18, 02:59 PM
Well, it's early days yet if it's only 807. It takes time for claims to be made.

And honestly, the tribes are not necessarily going to be worth conquering. When you're feudal, the penalties for holding tribal holdings are stiff, and it takes money/time to get the tribal holdings ready to feudalize.

MonkeySage
2016-03-18, 03:30 PM
How do you convert tribal holdings to feudal holdings? I've got some pretty deep pockets at the moment.

OrcusMcP
2016-03-18, 04:07 PM
There's deep pockets and there's deep pockets. The Wiki (http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Tribes) has all the details about what it will take, but even after you feudalize the tribe holdings they will be pretty weak until you fill the rest of the province with cities/temples/castles.

MonkeySage
2016-03-29, 12:58 PM
Well, it's been a long time coming, but I'm no longer contemplating taking over Ireland; I'm actually considering who I should appoint as the Viceroy of Ireland. :)

I started a new game, again as the Petty King of Gwynedd but I took a very different approach. I focused on taking control of Wales and getting my vassals to like me, and I succeeded. This was a very difficult trip but against all odds I've managed to get things under control. I've appointed my son-in-law as Viceroy of Alban(Scottland) and he's taking care of the heretics in the north. My vassals in Ireland are doing the same, reclaiming a former pictish province from a lollard count. My second cousin is loosing ground in northern England as the viceroy makes his own de jure claims.

I'm also considering what approach I should take for expanding into Western Europe. In the field of battle, I stand a chance of going toe to toe with the Kingdom of France... they have 12,000 troops, I have 15,500 troops. I want to expand into Western Europe so that I can vassalize the pope and bring my borders closer to the Umayyads.

However, assuming I successfully take over France, I don't know that I can directly rule over it... and I don't want to give too much power to a single viceroy.

I've got the viceroyal law set to viceroyal kingdoms, but my crown authority is only high, and I still have feudal administration due to low majesty.

Moral authority is high, but the pope considers me a threat.

scottcrowan
2016-04-20, 01:56 AM
This game is really very nice one. I had played it many more times.