PDA

View Full Version : Optimization An odd build idea.

Belac93
2016-03-18, 12:07 PM
So, I just had a strange idea for a character. They would be a barbarian 5 rogue X multiclass. Here is the basic idea of the character.

You would use daggers with Strength, and then use reckless attack to have advantage. Unless the opponents have ranged attacks, that is a free advantage every turn, which also lets you use sneak attack.

Once enemies come into melee range, you use your high Strength Athletics expertise, and Strength check advantage from rage to grapple enemies and knock them prone until your allies can help you.

So a character who is a ranged damage dealer, who becomes lockdown in melee range.

Thoughts? I'm wondering how viable this is.

Corran
2016-03-18, 01:22 PM
Unless the opponents have ranged attacks, that is a free advantage every turn
I dont get that part, can you please explain?

So a character who is a ranged damage dealer, who becomes lockdown in melee range.

So you will be throwing the daggers? Dont they have a very small range? That could be a problem.

ps: On another note, does it feel silly to anyone else how you can attack with thrown daggers using strength?

RulesJD
2016-03-18, 01:25 PM
"Doing so gives you advantage on melee weapon attack rolls"

Doesn't work with thrown weapons.

Belac93
2016-03-18, 01:28 PM
"Doing so gives you advantage on melee weapon attack rolls"

Doesn't work with thrown weapons.

Well, that ideas out then. Too bad.

BelowAvgNinja
2016-03-18, 01:32 PM
Long time lurker first time poster. This idea made me make an account to reply. I'm planning a very similar build myself. Currently 5 levels into Barb and looking to start taking Rogue levels soon: eventual Battlerager Barb 6/Rogue X.

I'm going with rapier and shield but I throw daggers as I close to melee. Took Shield Master at lvl 4 so after closing I can knock people around as a bonus action or drop my sword to grapple. I'm playing in a party with 4 casters, so I'm the only tank, but it has been very fun even without the Rogue levels.

BelowAvgNinja
2016-03-18, 01:51 PM
Re: ranged reckless attack. Yeah, that doesn't work. But Barb/Rogue still has a lot of silly things.
I'm already knocking owlbears prone even without Expertise to athletics.

Going to just get siller. Probably not the most optimized option for damage, but later you can gain resistance and then halve damage from one attack per turn from uncanny dodge. So the melee tanking/control is real.

Renvir
2016-03-18, 02:51 PM
You'll still get advantage when throwing your daggers if an ally is near your target. So rushing in first and hucking your dagger wouldn't be as effective as letting someone else do the rushing in while you follow up. But if you are going to rush in you might as well use your Cunning Action to Dash if they are far away and bring your opponent to the ground before they know what's going on and then Sneak Attacking. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Ewhit
2016-03-18, 03:15 PM
Make him a halfling cannibal barbarian and go have fun

RulesJD
2016-03-18, 03:18 PM
You'll still get advantage when throwing your daggers if an ally is near your target. So rushing in first and hucking your dagger wouldn't be as effective as letting someone else do the rushing in while you follow up. But if you are going to rush in you might as well use your Cunning Action to Dash if they are far away and bring your opponent to the ground before they know what's going on and then Sneak Attacking. Sounds like a lot of fun.

That's not how Sneak Attack works.

You do NOT get advantage when an ally is within 5ft of a target. You DO get sneak attack damage, but that's all.

BelowAvgNinja
2016-03-18, 03:51 PM
If you're wanting to stay back a little it doesn't look like Sharpshooter Feat specifies a bow attack. So, could take that instead of Shield Master for the purposes of throwing twice as far, and if a hit seems assured take that -5/+10. But really, you should throw hand axes for the higher damage die. You also lose out on rage damage by avoiding melee.

Foxhound438
2016-03-18, 03:56 PM
Not terrible. Go arcane trickster so you can enlarge yourself to grapple huge things. You don't get rage while doing that, but it's good to have the option.

Foxhound438
2016-03-18, 03:58 PM
If you're wanting to stay back a little it doesn't look like Sharpshooter Feat specifies a bow attack. So, could take that instead of Shield Master for the purposes of throwing twice as far, and if a hit seems assured take that -5/+10. But really, you should throw hand axes for the higher damage die. You also lose out on rage damage by avoiding melee.

sneak attack requires that you use finesse or ranged, handaxes are neither of those even when thrown.

BelowAvgNinja
2016-03-18, 05:10 PM
sneak attack requires that you use finesse or ranged, handaxes are neither of those even when thrown.

Hm. Good point, if your DM is a RAW stickler. Logically any weapon that is designed to be thrown to attack from a range would qualify as a ranged weapon when thrown, at least in my mind. But it might be disallowed by a strict DM.

Can also rage + sneak attack from 10' with a whip RAW.

bid
2016-03-18, 08:30 PM
If you're wanting to stay back a little it doesn't look like Sharpshooter Feat specifies a bow attack.
It does, more or less, "ranged weapon". That handaxe is a simple melee weapon.

PeteNutButter
2016-03-18, 08:54 PM

Only the first part of Sharpshooter effects thrown weapons. The attacking at long range works, the other parts specify ranged weapons, which thrown weapons are not (except nets and darts for some reason). Darts are finesse, thrown, and ranged though.

Belac93
2016-03-18, 10:07 PM
I am playing a Barbarian/Rogue multiclass at the moment. Named Skreech, CE bird-person (can never spell that races name), and he focuses on grappling. Hes in a solo game, and has managed to kill a half-life CR 17 at level 4, and has his own kingdom at level 7. And over 200 kills under his belt. Fun character.

PeteNutButter
2016-03-18, 10:28 PM
I am playing a Barbarian/Rogue multiclass at the moment. Named Skreech, CE bird-person (can never spell that races name), and he focuses on grappling. Hes in a solo game, and has managed to kill a half-life CR 17 at level 4, and has his own kingdom at level 7. And over 200 kills under his belt. Fun character.

It seems your DM is being very nonrestrictive with grappling and flying. Even the sage advice is kind of liberal with it IMO: http://www.sageadvice.eu/tag/grapple/

I'd rule at the least that while flying you add your own weight to what you are lifting. That's what flying is; your wings lift you off of the ground. Assuming you have a 16 str at level 4, you can lift 240 lbs. Assuming your wings have the full str of you, while flying you can lift 240-80 (minimum birdman weight) = 160 lbs while flying, and you probably only have about 20 lbs of gear so you could lift a 140 lb creature.

They should have just put a weight limit on flight. It seems they obviously tried to by restricting flight in anything but light armor. Anyways, more power to you.

Talamare
2016-03-18, 10:43 PM
You can throw Darts using Strength for Sneak Attack and Sharpshooter

The Finesse rule states you can use Str or Dex, most people think it means you can use Dex for Str weapons.
They forget that you can also use Str for Dex weapons (Altho Dart is the only example).

I think it's a strong idea

Spacehamster
2016-03-19, 12:11 AM
Make him a halfling cannibal barbarian and go have fun

Always wanted to make a halfling dual wielder with sharpened teeth that eats his opponents after the battle!

BelowAvgNinja
2016-03-19, 07:10 AM
Always wanted to make a halfling dual wielder with sharpened teeth that eats his opponents after the battle!

Glad to see Im not the only one playing to the 'kill what you eat, eat what you kill' thought process. I started compiling a cookbook of favorite monster recipes my character prepared in game. DM rewarded me with a magical Slow Cooker.

Belac93
2016-03-19, 01:02 PM
It seems your DM is being very nonrestrictive with grappling and flying. Even the sage advice is kind of liberal with it IMO: http://www.sageadvice.eu/tag/grapple/

I'd rule at the least that while flying you add your own weight to what you are lifting. That's what flying is; your wings lift you off of the ground. Assuming you have a 16 str at level 4, you can lift 240 lbs. Assuming your wings have the full str of you, while flying you can lift 240-80 (minimum birdman weight) = 160 lbs while flying, and you probably only have about 20 lbs of gear so you could lift a 140 lb creature.

They should have just put a weight limit on flight. It seems they obviously tried to by restricting flight in anything but light armor. Anyways, more power to you.

Well, he has almost nothing but his sword on him, he weighs not very much (hollow bones), and I rolled 17 strength at level 1. So hes a level 7 total, which gives him 18 strength, and he has proficiency and expertise in athletics, which gives him a +10 bonus to grapple rolls, with advantage if he is raging.

Also, my DM is very, very nice. He pretty much just said, "Make whatever you want, just no homebrew." Its been a blast so far.

Renvir
2016-03-19, 01:07 PM
That's not how Sneak Attack works.

You do NOT get advantage when an ally is within 5ft of a target. You DO get sneak attack damage, but that's all.

Good catch. I meant to say "You'll still get a sneak attack when throwing your daggers if an ally is near your target."