View Full Version : Optimization Bard lvl 3 issues

Gilion
2016-03-18, 12:11 PM
Heyho guys,

This is my first time playing DnD for many years so I'm a bit rusty. The thing is we start a lvl 3 adventure and I play a human bard ( I try to be a caster with maybe a healing spell)

My rolles are

STR: 9
DEX: 13
CON: 13
INT: 15
WIS: 14
CHA: 16

The thing is because I have 16 CHA and I'm only lvl 3 I could use 2. Grade spells but I only know 1. grade spells. Is there any way or tweak I could learn this or get them without asking my DM if some mysterious stranger could teach me ?

Maybe if you have any ideas what spells are good for me asweel im really open for any idea.

Thanks in avdance =)

Darrin
2016-03-18, 12:18 PM
What sourcebooks are available? Can you use online articles? Is Dragon Magazine available?

Bards don't get 2nd level spells until they are 4th level. When you do get them, alter self and glitterdust are highly recommended. I can't really say much about 1st level spells until you tell us what books you have available.

Gilion
2016-03-18, 01:03 PM
We're only usikng the bascis book. Nothing more because we want to start vanilla. The books said that I had 2 spells of the 2nd Grade I could use.

eggynack
2016-03-18, 01:11 PM
Where do they say that? Pretty sure they don't say that. As for spells, I'd definitely take silent image, probably take grease, and then the third is kinda open. Charm person is decent.

Edit: This whole issue is doubly confusing because 16 charisma is plenty to get 2nd level spells when you hit level 4. Heck, 14 charisma would be enough.

Gilion
2016-03-18, 01:33 PM
The thing is we're playing a short adventrue because my friend is going on a world trip for half a year so we have only one session to play. We will lvl up max 1 time. So i try to optimize my char for lvl 3. I try to be more of a talkativ bard whos talking a lot instead of doing tricks.

Maybe i Missread. But what are the bard spells then ?

eggynack
2016-03-18, 01:51 PM
A third level bard gets three first level spells known and six cantrips, with three cantrips per day and one third with an extra for your charisma. When you hit fourth level, you'll get two second level spells known, and one casting per day based on your charisma. That's in addition to one extra first cast each day.

Inevitability
2016-03-19, 01:31 AM
You might find this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm) helpful. As you can see there, you don't get 2nd-level spells until 4th-level. Bards have a slow spell progression in general, but at lower levels it won't hurt too much.

To be honest, there are some pretty good spells on the second-level bard spell list. Other people have already given some very solid advice.