PDA

View Full Version : Crazy character concepts

Ewhit
2016-03-18, 04:06 PM
1. Halfling barbarian cannibalism
2. Dwarf wild Mage sorcerer shaved beard pretends he's human after accidently killing entire clan
3. Halfling warlock old gods tiny octopus familiar on head pours water on it every 30 minutes

Regitnui
2016-03-18, 04:31 PM
1. Halfling barbarian cannibalism

Hi, welcome to Athas. Here, the elves run through the desert, the dwarves have no hair, and the halflings eat people for trespassing. The only place in the Astral Sea so terrifying than the Githyanki sealed off any planar portal to it they could find.

4. A wizard who constantly treasures his versatility, and so refuses to cast any spells under any circumstances for fear of being less than ready for really dire circumstances.
5. A lore bard that's constantly measuring people's professions by a scale and advising people on their life choices by his list.
6. A half-orc who religiously teaches his puppy to sit, roll over, and pickpocket every day until noon.

Zman
2016-03-18, 04:54 PM
7. Dwarven Bard. Low Charisma. Shouts insults and sings tavern songs. Quests for endless wineskin or mug of mead.

Ewhit
2016-03-18, 04:55 PM
Lol 4/5 funny

thorr-kan
2016-03-19, 08:14 PM
8. Tiefling paladin with the mercantile background. He's adopted; his parents are a half-elf dad and half-orc mom who own an inn. Rides around doing good with his mule, cart, spear, and chainmail. Frequent runs across the paladin prince who was a classmate at paladin school. There's a lot of good natured ribbing about him lowering the image of a paladin while the prince is setting unreal expectations for the nobility.

Gastronomie
2016-03-19, 08:53 PM
9. More of a mechanic concept than a character concept, but a Battle Master/Swashbuckler who uses an umbrella as his weapon.
So, basically, guy mechanically has a shield and a rapier. But in-game, both of those items are represented in the form of a single unique umbrella (perhaps magically enhanced or something) which can be used as both a thrusting weapon (rapier) and a shield (opens up on opponent's turn and somehow blocks attacks, giving AC +2). For the sake of balance, the Swashbuckler will not be using his left hand for anything during battle, so this "umbrella" does not actually effect his fighting abilities in any way. It just looks much cooler than rapier + shield.

Corran
2016-03-19, 09:15 PM
4. A wizard who constantly treasures his versatility, and so refuses to cast any spells under any circumstances for fear of being less than ready for really dire circumstances.

Lol, that could be me playing a wizard. I am too careful about spending my resources after that tpk some years back.... awful awful stuff... Oh well

10. Noble human bard with the retainers background feature, he has them carry his musical instrument, which is a giant gong!
Alternatively make hima gnome, keep the retainers, but instead of a gong, have them being musicians under your training. You are the maestro!

11. OoA halfelf paladin, played as a noble bon viveur, who is out there mainly to have fun! Played ala Austin Powers.

Naanomi
2016-03-19, 09:58 PM
12: A halfling fey-lock charlatan whose 'charlatan false ID' is pretending to be a fey lord (with Sprite 'servant' backing his story up)

12a: as above but Tiefling, pretending to be a true demon

HoodedHero007
2016-03-22, 06:58 AM
12: A halfling fey-lock charlatan whose 'charlatan false ID' is pretending to be a fey lord (with Sprite 'servant' backing his story up)

12a: as above but Tiefling, pretending to be a true demon
12b: as above but squid, pretending to be Cthulhu

Joe the Rat
2016-03-22, 08:44 AM
4. A wizard who constantly treasures his versatility, and so refuses to cast any spells under any circumstances for fear of being less than ready for really dire circumstances
Don't forget to try to solve all your problems with Animal Husbandry Handling.

13: A Bard Insult Comic. All of your spells are insults. All of your class features are insults. Pick up the Inspiring Leader feat so you can go on a 10 minute tirade that grants temporary hit points.

Tanarii
2016-03-22, 09:22 AM
10. Noble human bard with the retainers background feature, he has them carry his musical instrument, which is a giant gong!
Alternatively make hima gnome, keep the retainers, but instead of a gong, have them being musicians under your training. You are the maestro!10b variant alternate: PC is the lead singer/lutist, the retainers are the rest of your band. Just need to decide on a genre.

N810
2016-03-22, 10:44 AM
Paraphrased from one of the threads on there... somewhere...

??: Half-Ork Barbarian, who thinks he's a wizard, (has no stats/feats for wizard)
Use large club as his "wand" and uses mundane things to impersonate spells, (with varying results)

[thunder wave] yells at opponent and shoves him.
[fireball] throws barrel of lamp oil and a torch.
[magic missile] throws a rock.
[invisibility] hides behind bush.

you get the idea.

Naanomi
2016-03-22, 11:15 AM
15: Lightfoot Beastmaster Pirate, rides his giant crab, hiding behind/underneath it as he approaches ships

16: Beastmaster/Chain-lock who uses both his attacks every turn to command pets

17: Abjurer who hates/fears magic; always saves spells for detect/dispel/countermagic; flogs self after casting spells

Oramac
2016-03-22, 11:39 AM

??: Half-Ork Barbarian, who thinks he's a wizard, (has no stats/feats for wizard)
Use large club as his "wand" and uses mundane things to impersonate spells, (with varying results)

you get the idea.

Now that sounds like fun!

GorinichSerpant
2016-03-22, 11:51 AM
Hi, welcome to Athas. Here, the elves run through the desert, the dwarves have no hair, and the halflings eat people for trespassing. The only place in the Astral Sea so terrifying than the Githyanki sealed off any planar portal to it they could find.

Is this canon?

N810
2016-03-22, 11:56 AM
It's from the "Dark Sun" campaign.

GorinichSerpant
2016-03-22, 11:58 AM
It's from the "Dark Sun" campaign.

I already guessed that much, but is it a cannon part of the setting?

snowman87
2016-03-22, 12:03 PM
18. A human who believes he is actually a Beholder who was polymorphed into a human. He uses sorcerer spells to recreate Beholder effects and is trying to find a way to turn himself back into his "true" form.

Regitnui
2016-03-22, 12:03 PM
As far as I can tell. It's one of those things that come up in Plan escape or Spelljammer. The reason why you could travel to every other campaign setting of the time, but not Athas.

Theodoxus
2016-03-22, 12:36 PM
I don't recall regarding Gith specifically... but I know Athas was a closed system in its own Crystal Sphere that Spelljammers couldn't contact/find after some tragic event (that darkened the sun and burned Athas to a charred wasteland). So, could be?

As for concepts,I don't have anything overtly crazy. My original OotA character was a cannibal that ended up getting too much madness too quickly from eating sentient critters. I wouldn't have played him that way had I known about the madness - but it was fun until he decided to worship Billy (the demogorgon).

DaKiwiMonsta
2016-03-22, 01:08 PM

Reminds me of a bard that decided to multiclass in rogue, however his instrument was the Bagpipes. DM ruled that any time I attempted to cast a spell (bagpipes as focus) that I would automatically count as having failed a stealth check. The rest of my party spent the game unsuccessfully attempting to persuade the character with the highest charisma to get rid of his instrument.

Fwiffo86
2016-03-22, 01:23 PM
19. Woodelf Feylock/ranger - Obsessed with NOT touching anything. Uses mage hand to open doors, healing word to heal the injured, and absolutely refuses to involve himself/herself with anything remotely "icky".

Grayfigure
2016-03-22, 03:21 PM
20. A human Great Old One Bladelock/wizard hybrid who prefers to fight in melee using a dual scimtar setup (black and white, of course). Uses Mage Armor to summon a red cloak for protection and likes to use the shield spell a lot. Most of his offensive magics seems to involve him summoning a spectral bow and firing an arrow to create the magic effect. The Elder being he claims to serve, when he trusts you enough to explain, seems to be an Abstract Concept that manifests in the form of a Throne, surrounded by shadowy figures of heroic stature. While he claims to be striving for the greater good, he seems willing to take many questionable actions to achieve his goals. Quite cynical, he is surprisingly loyal when he deems you worth it. He often claims to be training for a great war to come.

brainface
2016-03-22, 03:26 PM

13: A Bard Insult Comic. All of your spells are insults. All of your class features are insults. Pick up the Inspiring Leader feat so you can go on a 10 minute tirade that grants temporary hit points.

"The adventurer's are outside!"
"What are they doing? are they preparing to siege? to scale the walls? A summoning ritual?"
"I... I believe they're holding a roast, sir."

Douche
2016-03-22, 03:50 PM
I once played a hill dwarf cleric who liked to drink beer and had a beard. lolz so randum rite guyz?

PeteNutButter
2016-03-22, 04:53 PM
Is it just me or are there too many identity crisis characters who think they are X but are actually Y...

Might as well play a high elf in full blackface with charlatan background and actor feat. He pretends he is a drow and won't break character until he has done the DVD commentary. And of course he is voiced by Robert Downey Jr.

quinron
2016-03-22, 05:01 PM
21. A half-orc monk/bard who doesn't sing or recite poetry, instead performing an ancient and elaborate war-dance known as "moshing."

Hrugner
2016-03-22, 08:01 PM
A lore bard who was once a holy man and is in the middle of an existential crisis. Having wrongfully wiped out a city on bad information he now obsessively believes that knowing what is true is necessary for any good to be done, and now devotes his time to knowing more than doing while neurotically preventing any final judgement, death or execution even of creatures whose evil is overt and indefensible. His reasoning being that his perception is easily mislead or naturally flawed and he can't possibly know everything.
His cutting words and vicious mockery manifest more as a confusing compulsive narration of his internal monologue. His inspiration more of a motivation to avoid his fate by acting decisively.

A Narcissistic half-orc pirate who genuinely believes everyone loves and adores him, looking up to him and doing as he asks out of unconditional admiration and respect, he believes any attack is playful in nature. All his social interactions are handled with intimidate checks. He thinks everyone is basically good at heart and dying will send them to an after life that's pretty amazing all around so he feels no guilt in accidentally killing people during their games. Any class would work, but a warlock with an old one patron who tells him how great he is would be my choice.

The lonely hero. He believes in other people more than himself, more than they believe in themselves, and far more than is reasonable. Everywhere he goes he attempts to recruit people to join his cause, fight the good fight and end tyranny and injustice once and for all. His amazing persuasive powers make it easy for him to instill hope in even the weakest and most humble. He goes into dungeons and keeps with a massive army of untrained and unprepared civilians and blames their predictable demise on some minor tactical misstep of his own.

Misterwhisper
2016-03-22, 08:13 PM

I played that guy once, he was a half-elf nicknamed Andrew Dice Fey.

GorinichSerpant
2016-03-22, 09:05 PM
20. A human Great Old One Bladelock/wizard hybrid who prefers to fight in melee using a dual scimtar setup (black and white, of course). Uses Mage Armor to summon a red cloak for protection and likes to use the shield spell a lot. Most of his offensive magics seems to involve him summoning a spectral bow and firing an arrow to create the magic effect. The Elder being he claims to serve, when he trusts you enough to explain, seems to be an Abstract Concept that manifests in the form of a Throne, surrounded by shadowy figures of heroic stature. While he claims to be striving for the greater good, he seems willing to take many questionable actions to achieve his goals. Quite cynical, he is surprisingly loyal when he deems you worth it. He often claims to be training for a great war to come.

Are the various details here a reference to a particular preexisting work of fiction or your own Elder Being?

Gtdead
2016-03-22, 10:00 PM
I've played around with the idea of cannibalism both as a character concept and combat style but it takes too much effort and I don't really think that DnD's system is good at bringing these characters to life.

It could work as a barbarian, but then again, it loses the charm after a while. I prefer playing more traditional characters.

Grayfigure
2016-03-23, 07:36 AM
Are the various details here a reference to a particular preexisting work of fiction or your own Elder Being?

heavily inspired by a pre-existing work of fiction, but with some changes to make the story make sense in the DnD universe. his inspiration is pretty laughably easy to spot, I know, but ever since i first read the 5th edition Warlock Blade Pact and how the pact weapon works, this idea would not let go of me.

The Elder Being is referenced in the origin fiction, but never actually given true volition that we ever see (I believe its only ever referred to; you dont actually get to see it). It may or may not even have any sentience in the origin fiction, but I felt it would be an interesting idea to connect my Goo pact with an Abstract Concept.

Hrugner
2016-03-23, 03:41 PM
I've played around with the idea of cannibalism both as a character concept and combat style but it takes too much effort and I don't really think that DnD's system is good at bringing these characters to life.

It could work as a barbarian, but then again, it loses the charm after a while. I prefer playing more traditional characters.

Honestly, in most games I've played food has been so abundant that eating another person would always be a deliberate choice rather than part of what the character would normally do. You can still swallow after a bite attack, or prefer wildshapes that can swallow others whole, but there isn't much cause for expressing a less hostile cannibalism.

"We eat well today, I don't believe I've ever tasted this creature before."
"Oh, we got lucky, it turns out our camp is not too far from a gnome burrow."
"?!?!?"
"Don't worry, I did thank them for gracing our table and made sure the little ones had enough to get by."

RickAllison
2016-03-23, 03:50 PM
Honestly, in most games I've played food has been so abundant that eating another person would always be a deliberate choice rather than part of what the character would normally do. You can still swallow after a bite attack, or prefer wildshapes that can swallow others whole, but there isn't much cause for expressing a less hostile cannibalism.

"We eat well today, I don't believe I've ever tasted this creature before."
"Oh, we got lucky, it turns out our camp is not too far from a gnome burrow."
"?!?!?"
"Don't worry, I did thank them for gracing our table and made sure the little ones had enough to get by."

If my Wizard wasn't going to be LG, playing Hannibal Lecter sounds like an awesome character concept:smallbiggrin:

Gtdead
2016-03-23, 05:48 PM
Yea, Hannibal Lecter is a cool concept. I'd do it with a GOO warlock/knowledge priest in a social campaign.

HoodedHero007
2016-03-24, 06:56 AM
A REALLY buff gnome or halfling barbarian with minimal DEX and INT

JackPhoenix
2016-03-24, 05:41 PM
heavily inspired by a pre-existing work of fiction, but with some changes to make the story make sense in the DnD universe. his inspiration is pretty laughably easy to spot, I know, but ever since i first read the 5th edition Warlock Blade Pact and how the pact weapon works, this idea would not let go of me.

The Elder Being is referenced in the origin fiction, but never actually given true volition that we ever see (I believe its only ever referred to; you dont actually get to see it). It may or may not even have any sentience in the origin fiction, but I felt it would be an interesting idea to connect my Goo pact with an Abstract Concept.

In that case, my spot modifier must be terrible, because I've failed the laughably easy check. Any more hints?

Grayfigure
2016-03-24, 06:28 PM
In that case, my spot modifier must be terrible, because I've failed the laughably easy check. Any more hints?

Well he got into an argument with 6 other people about a cup..... but turned out the cup had mud in it >_<

GorinichSerpant
2016-03-24, 07:21 PM
Well he got into an argument with 6 other people about a cup..... but turned out the cup had mud in it >_<

*blink,blink* I'm also confusled as to what your refering to...

Hrugner
2016-03-24, 07:57 PM
*blink,blink* I'm also confusled as to what your refering to...

I crammed all the nouns into a search, assumed it was anime and I get the character "Archer" from Fate/stay Night. I don't know what that is, but it seems to match the description.

AmbientRaven
2016-03-24, 08:23 PM
Is it just me or are there too many identity crisis characters who think they are X but are actually Y...

Might as well play a high elf in full blackface with charlatan background and actor feat. He pretends he is a drow and won't break character until he has done the DVD commentary. And of course he is voiced by Robert Downey Jr.

"The Run is a ritual that followers of Eilistraee undertake at least once per year. All those who take part in the ritual use particular boiled leaves and berries to make their hair silvery (which usually leads to sarcastic remarks from some drow of other faiths, who enjoy saying that such a color is to indicate their foolishness, although drow who do not worship Eilistraee can also have silver hair) and those who are not drow use natural colors to paint their bodies black. After this preparation, they go on a travel, wandering on the surface world, trusting to their music, kind ways, and sword skills to keep them from being slain as drow. The goal of the travel is for the followers of the Dark Maiden to go where they are strangers, reaching to elven and other races' communities to bring them food, joy (through music and dance), kindness and help of various kinds, not to preach their faith, but simply out of good heart and to show (together with their day-to-day activities) that drow can be rightful non-evil inhabitants of Faerun. Of course, the faithful are encouraged to use this time to also learn (and/or pass on) new songs, music, recipes and sword techniques"

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demihuman_Deities

PotatoGolem
2016-03-24, 08:29 PM

you get the idea.

The Thogateurge! Greatest thread to come out of the 3.p boards

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?195049-Help-Me-Be-Annoying-with-a-Barbarian-Wizard

Grayfigure
2016-03-24, 08:44 PM
I crammed all the nouns into a search, assumed it was anime and I get the character "Archer" from Fate/stay Night. I don't know what that is, but it seems to match the description.
Heh I guess the reference was more obscure than I realized. Apologies for the crypticness; I honestly thought it was easier to spot.

Yes, the reference is for the character Archer from the FATE/Stay Night series of anime.