PDA

View Full Version : What is the full list of actions available during a round by default?

soldersbushwack
2016-03-18, 06:40 PM
I think a round is composed of:

- 1 Reaction
- Attack of Opportunity
- 1 Turn
- Movement
- Walk
- Climb
- Swim
- Jump
- Mount or Dismount
- 1 Action
- Dash
- Dodge
- Disengage
- Cast a Spell
- Hide
- Ready
- Search
- Use an Object
- Attack Action
- 1 Attack
- Grapple creature
- Shove creature
- Improvised Action
- 1 Bonus Action (a spell, item or some other feature is required to take this)
- 1 Object Interaction
- Any amount of things that take only really tiny amounts of time such as dropping an object

Am I missing anything?

Renvir
2016-03-18, 07:48 PM
That list is pretty thorough. I think there is more under reactions though. Some spells and abilities that aren't inherently opportunity attacks fall under that heading. The Wizard spell Shield comes to mind. Probably just use the same qualifier you used for bonus actions.

PeteNutButter
2016-03-18, 10:10 PM
Along with the aforementioned multiple reactions, you missed standing up from prone in movement.

VegBru
2016-03-20, 10:25 AM
Also "fly" under movement.

pwykersotz
2016-03-20, 10:32 AM
Depending on what the scope of your list is, you're also missing the DMG options.

Climb onto a Bigger Creature - Action
Disarm - Weapon Attack
Mark - Melee Attack
Overrun - Action or Bonus Action
Tumble - Action or Bonus Action

SharkForce
2016-03-20, 11:09 AM
there are a variety of things that can provide optional reactions. a monk at a certain level can deflect arrows. a rogue can cut damage from a single attack in half. with the right feat (defensive duelist?) you can add a bunch to your AC. with sentinel, you get something that is slightly different from an attack of opportunity (it doesn't count as one) if someone else nearby is attacked. with the protection fighting style you can help someone defend from an attack. and so on.

there are also a variety of "special" actions, *especially* for monsters. but also some items or abilities (for example, call lightning or sunbeam spells) can give you access to actions that are not part of the listed ones (calling down a lightning bolt is *not* casting a spell, it is a separate type of action that is allowed by the call lightning spell). in particular, activating a magic item has been specifically noted as distinct from using an object.

of course, those special actions are just as miscellaneous as the bonus actions, so you may wish to just give them a single heading.

ProphetSword
2016-03-20, 02:26 PM
Reactions can also be used for a variety of other options, including movement, when you use the Ready action on your turn.

greenstone
2016-03-20, 05:15 PM
You are missing:

- Help
- Activate a Magic Item
- Escape a Condition (e.g. escape a grapple, clear blindness, attempt a new save vs a spell)

Under Attack, I would differentiate between Shove, Shove Aside, and Knock Prone.

Slipperychicken
2016-03-20, 10:10 PM
Would it be pedantic to put spells under reactions too?

Oramac
2016-03-21, 11:49 AM
You can also Ready an action as well, which would probably go under Reactions.

Slipperychicken
2016-03-21, 12:05 PM

I think "Ready" and "take a readied action" might be distinct.

Oramac
2016-03-21, 12:49 PM
I think "Ready" and "take a readied action" might be distinct.

As I read it, the terms are interchangeable. It's listed on p.193 of the PHB, and in the paragraph describing it, they use both terms at least once.

RickAllison
2016-03-21, 01:57 PM
As I read it, the terms are interchangeable. It's listed on p.193 of the PHB, and in the paragraph describing it, they use both terms at least once.

They are related, but distinct and stated as such in the PHB. Ready consumes the action; you are sacrificing your ability to act in order to have that action prepared for a given circumstance. Taking a readied action is a reaction only available under the circumstances dictated when the Ready action was taken. You can take the Ready action, but actually use your reaction for something else because they are distinct.

Oramac
2016-03-21, 02:07 PM
They are related, but distinct and stated as such in the PHB. Ready consumes the action; you are sacrificing your ability to act in order to have that action prepared for a given circumstance. Taking a readied action is a reaction only available under the circumstances dictated when the Ready action was taken. You can take the Ready action, but actually use your reaction for something else because they are distinct.

Interesting.

So to clarify: I can ready an action (if the mage moves there, I'll attack it), AND I can use a reaction (when the enemy fighter moves away from me, I get an AoO)?

RickAllison
2016-03-21, 02:20 PM
Interesting.

So to clarify: I can ready an action (if the mage moves there, I'll attack it), AND I can use a reaction (when the enemy fighter moves away from me, I get an AoO)?

Yes. You can ready the action for the moving mage and get your opportunity attack against the enemy fighter. However, by taking the OA on the fighter, you no longer have a reaction to spend to take your readied action so the mage doesn't have to worry about being attacked. Basically, the division of the Ready action and taking the readied action is so you are free to choose to lose the opportunity to use your readied action if you judge that another reaction you could make would be better, whereas having the two together would mean that one couldn't use a Ready action and also be able to cast a Shield if hit.

Oramac
2016-03-21, 03:04 PM
Yes. You can ready the action for the moving mage and get your opportunity attack against the enemy fighter. However, by taking the OA on the fighter, you no longer have a reaction to spend to take your readied action so the mage doesn't have to worry about being attacked. Basically, the division of the Ready action and taking the readied action is so you are free to choose to lose the opportunity to use your readied action if you judge that another reaction you could make would be better, whereas having the two together would mean that one couldn't use a Ready action and also be able to cast a Shield if hit.

I never thought about it that way. That's quite the useful distinction. Thanks!

Slipperychicken
2016-03-21, 03:04 PM
Interesting.

Readying an action consumes your action.

Taking the action you readied consumes your reaction. If you do that, you won't have a reaction for the AoO.

greenstone
2016-03-21, 06:53 PM

I'd use different phrasing, because the word Action is already used.

When you take the Ready Action, you choose what you do in response to the trigger. You can move or make a single attack or do an object interaction. You do not get a full Action (some features, like Extra Attack are not available).

JackPhoenix
2016-03-22, 08:16 AM
I never thought about it that way. That's quite the useful distinction. Thanks!

Alternatively, with Tunnel Fighter combat style from Light, Dark, Underdark UA, you could do both, as OA won't use up your reaction.

RickAllison
2016-03-22, 11:54 AM
Alternatively, with Tunnel Fighter combat style from Light, Dark, Underdark UA, you could do both, as OA won't use up your reaction.

I considered adding that as an addendum as it's absolutely correct, but I didn't want to muddy the waters too much :smallsmile: