PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Kompendium of Kobold Traps

Kurt Kurageous
2016-03-18, 09:11 PM
As inspired by the thread that should have been titled, "Six Things to Find in a Kobold's Purse (besides 1d4 copper)"

I want us to make a list of practical and realistic Kobold traps.

Forget the legend of Tucker. Those were Children of Kurtulmak. They came from money somehow, relatives of Wyle Coyote, perhaps. But what's a poor kobold band to do?

Please add ideas!

I started with an incomplete list of things that kobolds have and have a lot of for use to build traps:
1. Eggshells.
2. A working knowledge of the newtonian physics needed to build traps that use weight and balance as triggers.
3. Kobold bones, kobold skin, kobold teeth, kobold blood.
4. Really stupid kobolds for use as triggers of suicide bombs.
5. Access to dragon waste.
6. Adventurer discards that they cannot use for their designed purpose (great swords?).
7. Rocks, sand, clay, and water.
8. Herbalism unique to kobold physiology.
9. Basic plant lore.
10. Advanced mining lore, including the use of pulleys, carts on rails, water management via water screws and/or wood/stone conduits. This implies rough carpentry skill, die-casting/ironworking for tools, and the ability to process and refine iron ore.
11. A much lower to the ground point of view, making falling objects seem more powerful than they are to medium creatures.
12. The ability to extract and perhaps distill the poisons of scorpions, giant centipedes, and spiders.
13. Very good fine motor skills required to craft highly reliable but not terribly imaginative trigger mechanisms.
14. A lot of time, maybe.
15. Darkvision.

Things that came to mind when I looked at the list:
1. Empty or stuffed eggs as bait for a trap designed to catch food.
2. Eggs painted with bright vegetable dyes for a trap designed to attract sentient threats.
3. Lots of falling rock traps. Everywhere.
4. Dead end hallways with rock-falls trapping prey in them. A means of delivering poison in the form of dragon or kobold waste made to look like Gnomish food and poisoned water.
5. Many, many Indy Jones Rolling Boulder Juniors.
6. Small shallow holes big enough for a foot to go down and get stuck in. Spikes in the hole keep the foot/leg in place until they can be bent away. The hole is a den for giant centipedes.
7. Minor improvements to crossbows, repurposed as traps. I doubt a kobold community would waste a crossbow in a trap, though. Probably get used as a mini-ballistae.
8. Water-timed and weighted mechanisms.
9. Unstable/undermined rooms.
10. Billow-powered blowguns firing poisoned darts.
11. Hunting/trapping mechanisms. Maybe not bear-traps (steel), but something smaller.
12. Traps might be harder to detect using darkvision only, easier with normal light.
13. Caltrops.
14. Controlled flooding that brings out a mass of giant centipedes from their holes.

I am hoping that this will prompt your ideas, and you will add them in reply.

krugaan
2016-03-18, 09:13 PM
I want us to make a list of practical and realistic Kobold traps.

I REFUSE!

Rube Goldberg was a Kobold!

Deadfalls that drop nets weighted by screaming one-armed, no legged dwarven women who insult your manhood until you run away!

A glyph that when walked over, starts a fire that heats the pot which blows steam which turns the fan that powers the crank that raises the dagger that cuts the cord that holds the stone which falls and hits the adventurer on the head while they're watching all this!

Kurt Kurageous
2016-03-18, 09:21 PM
I REFUSE!

Rube Goldberg was a Kobold!

Lol! An inauspicious beginning.

mgshamster
2016-03-18, 09:25 PM
Great list! But what was wrong with the other kobold trap thread? link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?481867-What-in-your-copy-of-quot-The-Kobold-s-Guide-to-Trapping-Adventurers-quot)

Kurt Kurageous
2016-03-18, 09:28 PM
Great list! But what was wrong with the other kobold trap thread? link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?481867-What-in-your-copy-of-quot-The-Kobold-s-Guide-to-Trapping-Adventurers-quot)

Idiot me didn't search for it, that's what's wrong. Nothing wrong with the other list, which I will now go read...

...and find that, for the most part, they are not practical. The "whole village trap" was way cool, gonna use it once I develop a kobold gauntlet sufficiently credible but deadly.

But still looking for reasonable, practical, mostly nonmagical traps.

Reaper34
2016-03-18, 10:08 PM
1. tube filled with flasks of oil with one flask of alchimical fire. one end of tube is released and spreads the flasks over 15-20 feet. a.fire flask sets all the oil on fire.
2. snake attached by the tail to a doorframe.
3. swing up trap. hole big enoufh for a foot with end of stick over it. when the end of the stick is stepped on, swings the other end up with spike to hit into stomach or chest. add poison for fun.
4. leave water barrel with small slime in bottom close to any fire trap.
5. room of pressure plates. 1/4 are attached to traps. none closest to the entry point.
6. hole to lower level. have several ropes hanging down for getting down. all but 1 are covered in grease starting half way down.
7. hall half full of murky water. (small creatures swim. medium and up wade.) spikes on bottom of hall.
8. have ledge high on a wall. on the edge of the ledge id set broken glass, nails, razors, and sharp bits of metal. nasty suprise for anyong trying to jump up and grab ledge.
9. swinging log/spiked ball trap.
10. slide trap into pit with pet. i like rust monsters.

Zheakk
2016-03-18, 11:17 PM
The Kobold Press Midgard Advanced Races: Kobolds has a pretty fun list of different Kobold traps. The kobolds in that piece are city-dwelling however, not the cave variety. My favorite was probably the wooden wall with a small peephole on it, plus some sort of interesting noise coming from the other side of the wall. When the victim looks through the peep hole to see what's causing the noise, they get poked in the eye by a kobold with a stick.

Madbox
2016-03-19, 04:14 AM
Floor panel that's mounted on an axle, with a few small sticks underneath to hold it still. If anything heavier than a kobold steps on it, the sticks break and the floor flips over, dumping the victim into a spike pit.

The classic one-way tunnel: Have a small tunnel, starting out with a 5 foot diameter. Every ten feet, the diameter reduces by six inches. It dead ends after ten feet of a 1 foot diameter tunnel. The walls and ceiling are lined with sharp spines (metal or wood) pointing inwards. As such, a creature enters and can crawl forwards until the tunnel is too small, but the spines cause injury when they try to back out.

Finally, for when a kobold is kornered, have them be equipped with egg shells filled with ash. Toss it on the ground for a smokescreen, or in someone's face to blind pursuers.