PDA

View Full Version : I just saw a crazy game D&D 5E with pathfinder spells and casters!

gameogre
2016-03-18, 09:23 PM
I love going to the Library and McDonald's in my town because every once in a while I see this young group of guys playing rpg's. They are pretty awesome and fun, Way more willing to try crazy stuff than i was at that age.

So tonight I waited for the Librarian and watched their D&d game from afar and was shocked to see them playing what sounded like 5E for the most part but with the core Pathfinder book and apparently the pc casters were strait out of the pathfinder core book.

Would this even work? I guess if you redid the DC's then maybe kinda sorta...i think. It seemed wild and crazy.

it got me thinking about mixing and matching games that would kinda sorta work if you ignored the strange bits.

do you guys ever do stuff like this?

AmbientRaven
2016-03-18, 10:00 PM
It would unbalance the bound accuracy system due to the way a lot of buffs debuffs work.

lebefrei
2016-03-18, 11:01 PM
I have a suggestion... Next time instead of lurking from afar, approach them. Ask them what exactly their game is, as it sounds like two different games in one to you. Then you won't have to speculate online about what they could be up to.

They may be glad to find that someone is curious about the game they are playing in a public space. Maybe they'll even invite you to try it. Age matters less than play style in fun. You never know, it could be a great group for you.

Kane0
2016-03-18, 11:18 PM
Agreed, go up and ask them. Chances are theyd be happy to have a chat, or even have you sit in.

A lot of things would be transferrable without much effort. Blending systems can be great fun, and if everyone at the table is in on it and doing it properly balance is a consideration rather than problem.

Solusek
2016-03-19, 10:58 PM
Since they had Pathfinder books out, maybe it was just a Pathfinder game that had adopted a few 5E things for their homebrew. I know my home group discussed implementing some of the 5E systems into our Pathfinder game (like advantage/disadvantage rules) when we were having the discussion about whether to move to 5E or stick with Pathfinder.

Slipperychicken
2016-03-19, 11:03 PM
They might have been simply running pathfinder. It uses a few ideas that were later taken into 5e.

Also, a lot of RPGs sound similar when you hear them played, especially dnd knockoffs.

gameogre
2016-03-19, 11:17 PM
Asked one of them today and was told it was a Flailsnails game? The mix Pathfinder , 5e, Dccrpg and 13th Age together in a giant mess of fun.

He did say the DM winged a lot of it and it was kinda Gonzo Crazy but it worked, mostly.

They are playing A Red and Pleasant Land.

gullveig
2016-03-21, 11:23 AM
An OSR game group... What a marvelous finding!

But beware! Once you go OSR, you never come back!