PDA

View Full Version : Shffling Bard archetypes

AmbientRaven
2016-03-18, 09:59 PM
Hi Folks,

Since the release of Kits of Old, I feel bards need a re-work/shuffle on their abilities.

Here are the changes i propose

Valor: Remove Combat inspiration. Give them Blade Flourish & choice of Two Weapon Fighting or Dueling
Lore: Remove Cutting Words. Give them Combat Inspiration, but allow to affect attack roll, damage roll or add to AC
Satire: Remove Bonus Proficiencies. Give them Proficient: Insight and Cutting Words. Change fools insight to only cause a social gaffe on a successful attempt to detect thoughts. Change Fools Luck to have no negative effect.

Remove College of Sword.
This allows for Valor to use many weapon types best fitting what you feel fits your character. The change to lore having combat inspiration (Combat knowledge?) better fits the archetype, and, cutting words is the most satire ability that ever did satire.

Re-Work of Blade Flourish
Weapon Flourish
At 3rd level, you learn to conduct impressive displays of skill with your weapons. When you use the Attack action on your turn you can attempt one of the following flourishes.

Defensive Flourish.
You spin your weapon around you in swift circles, creating a hypnotic display. As a bonus action, you expend one use of Bardic Inspiration, rolling a Bardic Inspiration die and applying the number rolled as a bonus to your AC until the start of your next turn.

Attack Flourish.
This favorite trick of those of the College of Valor allows you to expend one use of Bardic Inspiration to increase your attack chance. You may roll a Bardic Inspiration die and apply the number rolled as a bonus to the next attack roll you make with a weapon this turn. This must be done before you make your attack roll.
If the target of the attack is an unattended, inanimate object, the bonus equals double the die roll.

Unnerving Flourish.
Your deadly display of combat prowess unnerves your opponents, leaving them cowering in fear and at your mercy. Whenever you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with a weapon attack, you expend one use of Bardic Inspiration, and instead leave the creature at 1 hit point. The creature is frightened of you for a number of minutes equal to your Charisma modifier. It also make a Charisma saving throw with a DC equal to your spellcasting DC + a bonus equal to the roll of your Bardic Inspiration die. If the creature fails this saving throw, it answers truthfully any questions you ask it and obeys your direct orders while it is frightened by this effect.

What are your thoughts on this?

Arkhios
2016-03-18, 10:03 PM
Why should College of Valor bard be limited to 1-handed weapons due to Two-Weapon Fighting and Dueling styles? I can see a 2-handed Weapon being used by one. Also, a Ranged Valor bard is a very compelling option, too.

AmbientRaven
2016-03-18, 10:05 PM
Why should College of Valor be limited to 1-handed weapons due to Two-Weapo Fighting and Dueling styles? I can see a 2-handed Weapon being used by one. Also, a Ranged Valor bard is a very compelling option, too.

TBH because Valor receives shield proficiency, and Sword only received two-weapon. I combined the feel of both. Whilst I see two handed and archery being options, no class has access to all of them besides fighter. This seemed the most in line with older version of bard as well as pathfinder styling for them.

Arkhios
2016-03-18, 10:10 PM
TBH because Valor receives shield proficiency, and Sword only received two-weapon. I combined the feel of both. Whilst I see two handed and archery being options, no class has access to all of them besides fighter. This seemed the most in line with older version of bard as well as pathfinder styling for them.

Well, so does a fighter get shield proficiency, and they're not forced to choose 1-handed styles. Why should a Bard be forced to do anything like that either?
Also, ranger has archery, Paladin has 2-handers. I wouldn't say they're fighter-only options. Nevermind, misread.
And to be frank, let's just leave Pathfinder style to Pathfinder, and play 5th edition as it is.

PS. My point is: forcing a fighting style option for Valor bard is limiting their versatility. A Bard is Versatile Extraordinaire by chassis.

AmbientRaven
2016-03-18, 11:48 PM
PS. My point is: forcing a fighting style option for Valor bard is limiting their versatility. A Bard is Versatile Extraordinaire by chassis.

That is the thing. WoTC gave College of Sword only Dual-Wield options, limiting them by default.

Whilst I agree with what you are saying, I feel Medium, Shields, Full martial and GW/2H/Duel/Archery is a lot of options for a third level, not even counting the uses of bardic inspiration.
But I do agree with the versatility, so I will add the other two styles (with none of the defensive options to keep more in-line with how WoTC seems to doll out fighting styles)