PDA

View Full Version : I need some build info.

ngilop
2016-03-18, 10:37 PM
Hey guys, am currently in a 5 man RoRTL group and, well we are getting wrecked.

When we do whats 'smart tactically' and ignore the chained girl next to the snake lady and go after the snake lady we get penalized for not being good. NOTE she was chained surrounded by actual snakes the snake lady and a ogre henchemen. Us actually saving chained girl was impossible unless we had a way to one shot every with a single attack

basically that is what I need help with. I am currently playing a conjurer/malconvoker

but I am thinking of switching out to something that can regularly deal 200+ damage in a single attack.

So, what class and what build can I do to be able to 'alpha strike' for 200+ damage from a single attack?

Tevo77777
2016-03-18, 10:52 PM
Hey guys, am currently in a 5 man RoRTL group and, well we are getting wrecked.

When we do whats 'smart tactically' and ignore the chained girl next to the snake lady and go after the snake lady we get penalized for not being good. NOTE she was chained surrounded by actual snakes the snake lady and a ogre henchemen. Us actually saving chained girl was impossible unless we had a way to one shot every with a single attack

basically that is what I need help with. I am currently playing a conjurer/malconvoker

but I am thinking of switching out to something that can regularly deal 200+ damage in a single attack.

So, what class and what build can I do to be able to 'alpha strike' for 200+ damage from a single attack?

It sounds like your DM is illogical and possibly crazy. What was he expecting you to do? Snipe all of the enemies? Call down a meteor? Surrender? Fight past the snakes somehow?

If you want to do a lot of damage at once, I recommend something like a level 5 or higher Wizard; but that would be hard to obtain given that you already got a class and so on.

ATHATH
2016-03-18, 10:58 PM
It sounds like your DM is illogical and possibly crazy. What was he expecting you to do? Snipe all of the enemies? Call down a meteor? Surrender? Fight past the snakes somehow?

If you want to do a lot of damage at once, I recommend something like a level 5 or higher Wizard; but that would be hard to obtain given that you already got a class and so on.
Maybe he wanted you to treat it like a hostage situation?

A sneaky character might have been able to free the woman before the battle, and a Shield Other spell might have helped.

Gnorman
2016-03-18, 11:04 PM
Ubercharger. Leap attack barbarian.

MisterKaws
2016-03-19, 06:01 AM
Either Leap Attack Barbarian or Nightmare Blade Warblade.

ngilop
2016-03-19, 09:49 AM
I left out some important information I apologize.

This is a predominately Pathfinder based game, with a small bit of 3.5 thrown in.

SO while I know about the ubercharging leap attack barbarian, that's more of 1 round deal a lot of damage. I have heard of gunslingers and cavalier's being able to do massive amounts of damage from one attack, but as I have never seen, played or even looked at (gunslinger) or not played past 1st level (cavalier) I do not know how best to build them to be able to kill CR appropriate enemies in 1 hit.

SO while some 3.5 is on the table. I would prefer to stay in pathfinder for better chances to get the character approved.

2016-03-19, 11:37 AM
I left out some important information I apologize.

This is a predominately Pathfinder based game, with a small bit of 3.5 thrown in.

SO while I know about the ubercharging leap attack barbarian, that's more of 1 round deal a lot of damage. I have heard of gunslingers and cavalier's being able to do massive amounts of damage from one attack, but as I have never seen, played or even looked at (gunslinger) or not played past 1st level (cavalier) I do not know how best to build them to be able to kill CR appropriate enemies in 1 hit.

SO while some 3.5 is on the table. I would prefer to stay in pathfinder for better chances to get the character approved.

Gunslinger Building Commandments:
Thou shalt pump thy Dex into the stratosphere
Thou shalt learn to reload as a free action
Thou shalt extend thy range increment
Thou shalt take Deadly Aim

There's other things that would be nice to have, but high Dex, free action reloading, longer range increments, and Deadly Aim are the bare minimum for making an effective gunslinger. Here's a sample build for Gunslinger 8:

Race: Human
Class: Gunslinger (Musket Master) 5/Fighter (Trench Fighter) 3
Dexterity: 22 (26 w/ gloves)
Feats: Point Blank Shot (ECL 1); Rapid Shot (Human); Rapid Reload (Musket Master); Deadly Aim (ECL 3); Precise Shot (Gunslinger 4); Extra Grit (ECL 5); Weapon Focus: Musket (Fighter 1); Iron Will (ECL 7); Improved Initiative (Fighter 2)
Magic Items: +1 Distance Musket (8000); Belt of Dexterity +4 (16000)

Range Increment: 80 ft
Attack Bonus (normal): +18/+13
Attack Bonus (Deadly Aim): +16/+11
Attack Bonus (Rapid Shot): +16/+16/+11
Attack Bonus (Deadly Aim/Rapid Shot): +14/+14/+9
Damage: 1d12+17 or 1d12+21 with Deadly Aim
Crit: x4 damage

By targeting Touch AC with full BAB and high Dex, you can basically afford to take whatever penalties you want, like with Rapid Shot and Deadly Aim. Using paper cartridges to get free action reload, you're basically guaranteed to get 3d12+63 DPR (or even a lot higher if you get a crit). It gets even more ridiculous at higher levels: more BAB means more Deadly Aim damage and more attacks per round, you can get a speed weapon, you can extend the distance at which you target Touch AC (through various means of reducing the grit requirement).

KillianHawkeye
2016-03-19, 10:58 PM
When we do whats 'smart tactically' and ignore the chained girl next to the snake lady and go after the snake lady we get penalized for not being good.

This might be besides the point, but could you elaborate on what sort of penalties your DM has given out exactly?