PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Campain

Iceking
2016-03-19, 06:04 AM
Hi everyone

I'm playing as DM with new players. After some campains, they start to know what they like in campains.
I used to use the campains from wizards themselves, but my players want to play a story with a lot of dungeoncrawling, lots of treasures and many puzzles to solve.

even some puzzles that can only be solved by specific characters are welcome as I like to have them a very differenciated group of adventurers. They know they need to play different classes to solve some of the puzzles. And get a npc with them of the class they will need to solve some of those. (ie. If they dont have rogue, there will be an npc rogue with them to open chests and doors)

Does anyone have a link to such a story or know a great story to tell? (this can be one of wizards books or self made, or even tips or tricks, as i find it hard for myself to create a whole world / story for myself.)

We do play it in 5e version, but if you know a 3.5 edition story, please feel free to tell me as well, i can try to adapt it if necessary.

edit: sry for my bad english.

Kane0
2016-03-19, 06:43 AM
Are you familiar with any of Kaveman's works? The Big One? Cattle driving Necromancers?
Very good place to start.
The silverclawshift chronicles also come recommended.

Iceking
2016-03-19, 06:53 AM
Thx, i'll start looking for those.

lebefrei
2016-03-19, 07:49 AM
My best advice is, as a DM, make them yourself. Design your own dungeons, and puzzles. They may not be great at first, but it is the best way to improve.

As far as you NPC aid goes, I don't recommend it. 5e is meant to give players a lot of options and flexibility. You never need a rogue. If no one is proficient in thieves' tools, then the players can use Knock or break the lock. If you compensate the players for their "weaknesses" by providing NPC allies, you take the challenge, and fun, out of their hands. Why bother in the first place, then?

MrStabby
2016-03-19, 07:58 AM
In addition you have repeated encounters where the most important character is controlled by you not one of your players.

Iceking
2016-03-19, 08:05 AM
My best advice is, as a DM, make them yourself. Design your own dungeons, and puzzles. They may not be great at first, but it is the best way to improve.

I'm afraid that it looks like ....
and they wont like the adventure.

As far as you NPC aid goes, I don't recommend it. 5e is meant to give players a lot of options and flexibility. You never need a rogue. If no one is proficient in thieves' tools, then the players can use Knock or break the lock. If you compensate the players for their "weaknesses" by providing NPC allies, you take the challenge, and fun, out of their hands. Why bother in the first place, then?

Actually true, why did i not think about that.

Hopeless
2016-03-19, 09:54 AM
Pick a couple of your favourite TV shows make it fantasy orientated and add whatever fits your view on their preferences.

For example take an episode of Leverage and Hercules the TV show that starred Kevin Sorbo.

So one of your players is approached by someone familiar with their nemesis.
A member of his family has been kidnapped and needs the PCs help as they know the kidnapper and are familiar with where their relative is being held.

Offered a 100,000 each as the relative is being held to force an alliance between two noted families and freeing the girl to marry who she wants will also be a good blow to the nemesis.

They go in via the sewers rescue the girl whose unconscious and escape.

They aren't paid as it turns out the girl was left unconscious by their patron, the nemesis was hired to keep her secure until the spell she's under can be broken.

The PCs are being hunted and the patron sets them up thinking they would flee rather than risk capture.

Now the PCs know where their patron is hiding and are her only hope.

Are your players up to that task?

Good luck in any case!

Celcey
2016-03-19, 01:52 PM
If you google 5e dungeon map creator, you'll find plenty of websites that will generate maps for you. Donjon (I may be getting the name wrong) is pretty good.