PDA

View Full Version : what are your worst\best ad&d 2e monster?

Rakasta
2016-03-19, 06:41 AM
My worst monster in ad&d 2e has to be The blackball beacuse it is more a obsticle than a encounter and I feel that it is a last f*** you monster. The monster that I like in ad&d 2e is The linnorm,beacuse it has a more interesting eccology than some dragons,it is also a great low - mid level monster and it is easier to have a linnorm encounter than a red dragon. What is your worst\best ad&d 2e that you have seen?

BWR
2016-03-19, 01:30 PM
I honestly can't think of any single monster that I really detested. The closest would be goblins as introduced in Tales of the Lance. they got some ****ing OP **** to mess with people. Living nets that automatically trapped you upon hitting and crawled after you if they missed you the first time around. Jars of coals that stunned you with pain, nasty poisons...
I remember a party of level 10-12 people being chased off several times by a dozen goblins.

Best... so many to choose from.
I loved the ghaele eladrin from PS, in no small part thanks to diTerlizzi's art, but also because of the description of them.
Moignos were just weird and fun.
The Gith races and mind flayers with the new information about them that came in 2e...
the list goes on.

kedler
2016-03-19, 01:50 PM
Best, a Render the thing was all fur and claws

Worst that gold cat thing with six legs, whatever it was called. Had one latch onto my face once.

Rakasta
2016-03-21, 04:12 AM
Here is another ad&d 2e edition monster, centaur,no I dont hate the normal centaur but all the other types of centaurs like the chevall or the pegataur and zebrataur. For some reason TSR really liked the idea that they could make new monsters just by mixing centaur with a animal or in some cases other humanoids mixed with horses.

Toofey
2016-03-21, 12:18 PM
The Deepspawn.

Truly one of the most terrifying monsters around. Even aside from it's own massive combat abilities (6 attacks per round, spell casting, magic resistance). It can spawn (hence the name) other monsters, populating entire dungeons, and filling virtually any plot hole with a whole lot of terror.

Lord Torath
2016-03-21, 01:27 PM
How about the Thaygar? aka Beholder Eater, aka the GrimGobbler.
This thing is a floating sphere about 6 feet across, with 6-16 serpentine necks ending in vicious jaws which each bite for 2d4 damage, typically focusing on extremities (like eye-stalks) first. And these guys can eat! A sage watched one devour over a thousand corpses in the aftermath of a battle before it became too dark to safely observe the creature.

JustSomeGuy
2016-03-22, 05:24 PM
Best, a Render the thing was all fur and claws

Worst that gold cat thing with six legs, whatever it was called. Had one latch onto my face once.

Didn't they weigh something ridiculous like 300lbs for their badger size?

neonchameleon
2016-03-22, 10:19 PM
Does Lorraine Williams count? And does Elminster?

Rakasta
2016-03-23, 03:38 AM
Does Lorraine Williams count? And does Elminster?

They dont count,but if you see then as annoying\bad/worst monster go ahead. People have different opinions. I dont jdge People. And yeah I dont like elminister either.

awa
2016-03-25, 01:52 PM
Didn't they weigh something ridiculous like 300lbs for their badger size?

I think that was because they ate metal

just a quick glance at Wikipedia
water has a density of 1 gold has a density of 19.3
so a badger which must be roughly as dense as water because they float weight up to 37 pounds (big European badger at top weight listed) would weigh 714 pounds if gold so even though are monster is not going to be pure gold it actually gives us a fair amount of wiggle room for it being a smaller animal and having non metal organs and blood. 0r 331 if copper less wiggle room there for non metal parts

Realistic obviously not but for a super rough work the weight is not as bad as it initially appears

JadedDM
2016-03-26, 03:09 PM
You mean the Aurumvorax (which literally means 'gold eater' I think)? It weighs 500 pounds (but is only 3 feet long).

MeeposFire
2016-03-26, 07:47 PM
You mean the Aurumvorax (which literally means 'gold eater' I think)? It weighs 500 pounds (but is only 3 feet long).

That thing is a nasty. Though it makes great robes for your characters with decent str scores (the robes are pretty heavy).

I remember the Catoblepas (spelling?) being nasty. It had a NO SAVE instant death gaze. Not the sort of enemy that I like. Sure its neck prevented it from using the attack as well as it possibly could but it still was likely going to kill somebody even on accident.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-27, 07:10 PM
The Living Constellation was a classic.