PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder help with niche finding (or optimization) two-weapon fighting ranger

fraker
2016-03-19, 01:31 PM
I am currently in a reign of winter campaign with some friends, and I find myself loving the campaign and the character I made, but hating the fact that I feel as though my character could be removed and the party would not suffer. I am playing a strength-based TWF ranger wielding a two bladed sword running with the witchguard archetype for not only story reasons, but also liking the things I obtain out of it. we are lvl 12 and I hope to get some help on either gaining a proper party niche for him, or making him a little better than he is. we have a swashbuckler/paladin and soon to have a fighter archer, both of which outshine my character in damage. I don't seek to compete with their damage, I just want to either better him at what he does (witchguard abilities to defend allies, especially casters) or get him a niche that would fit with the party. (outside of the swashadin and the archer we have a bard, a winter witch, and a dark tapestry mystery oracle)

Florian
2016-03-20, 02:41 AM
I am currently in a reign of winter campaign with some friends, and I find myself loving the campaign and the character I made, but hating the fact that I feel as though my character could be removed and the party would not suffer. I am playing a strength-based TWF ranger wielding a two bladed sword running with the witchguard archetype for not only story reasons, but also liking the things I obtain out of it. we are lvl 12 and I hope to get some help on either gaining a proper party niche for him, or making him a little better than he is. we have a swashbuckler/paladin and soon to have a fighter archer, both of which outshine my character in damage. I don't seek to compete with their damage, I just want to either better him at what he does (witchguard abilities to defend allies, especially casters) or get him a niche that would fit with the party. (outside of the swashadin and the archer we have a bard, a winter witch, and a dark tapestry mystery oracle)

Think about switching over to Mesmerist (Vexing Daredevil) for the rest of the AP. YouŽll get a continuous debuffing stare that is a boon to your casters and upgrade your own damage potential with Piercing Stare.

(You more or less picked up an archetype that seems to be made for a cohort under a witchs control, thereŽs not all too much to be done here.)

fraker
2016-03-20, 05:25 AM
disappointing to know since the original idea behind this was to be party tank. but I have been allowing the MMO idea of a tank to cloud my judgement there, or so my friends have told me only after I saw irritation in the class concept. though on the vexing daredevil idea, intriguing, but I don't think our group is running with allowing the occult classes just yet. however, I may need to talk to the GM, but path of war might be free game if there are options from it since one of the friends has that book.

and also to add to this, the AP was run on a 20 point buy, and so cha was my dumpt stat

Geddy2112
2016-03-21, 12:57 AM
In combat, you should be using your aid another/bodyguard/in harms way to protect your allies fine. Are you fighting defensively to max your AC? Do you have combat expertise(if you have 13 int) or at least 3 ranks in acrobatics? Did you take two weapon defense as a bonus feat? Also, don't be afraid to use combat reflexes to help create a "no go zone" around you and your spellcaster.

What patron did you select? Some patrons are much better than others for this kind of role. Also, what spells do you prepare usually? I assume you have a ranged weapon just in case, right?

Out of combat, nobody should even touch your knowledge:nature and survival skill, even though the latter is starting to lose need. Likewise, you are probably the sneakiest of the group, and should use that when needed. Consider the feat swift aid, as it can let you do your thing more often. Antagonize is a great feat to consider,even if you dumped charisma. It will draw enemies to attack you.

Florian
2016-03-21, 06:46 AM
@fraker:

MMO-style tanking simply does not work in PF because a TTRPG lacks any kind of internal Agro-Mechanic. That leaves you with two and a half options, namely Incentive Tanking and Mechanical Tanking (as well as Tactical Area Denial).

Incentive Tanking is an active-passive-mix and can be done in two ways:
- You pose the biggest immediate threat and should be put down first (Smite Evil, Challenge...)
- You are the easiest target to put down, maybe even with giving out boni to attack you (Antagonize feat, Come And Get Me, Fighter in leather armor...)

Mechanical tanking is a purely passive affair and works based on avoidance and mitigation:
- Basically, you sacrifice your efficiency and actions to push someone else, especially by raising AC or giving cover. (Combat Patrol, your archetype....)

Tactical Area Denial is the middle ground here and works best when both other forms of tanking are used:
- Reach Weapon, AoOs and Maneuvers to stop enemies from doing anything (Combat Patrol, Combat Reflexes, Improved Trip...)
- Shut-Down Powers (Strike Back, Dazing Assault, Cloak And Dagger Tactics....)

Note: As should be obvious, the requirements for the different styles tend to not match, especially between pure incentive and mechanical tanking (for example: low AC vs. high AC).

If you GM is willing to work with you, try to partially rebuild your character:
- Reduce number of Ranger levels back to 7 or 10.
- Swap TWF style for TH style, pick up a good reach weapon and fitting feats.
- Aim for the Ulfen Guard PrC (Inner Sea Combat). ThisŽll give you some additional mechanical tanking options as well as Rage and Rage Powers to be more offensive.

fraker
2016-03-21, 11:59 AM
@Geddy2112
if I had seen swift aid and antagonize sooner, I would have pounced on it. that will be very helpful!

now for the subject of spells, patrons, and feats. Spells, I have honestly been picking up any spell that I thought would be useful in the situations, but I also grab all the ranger bread and butter such as lead blades, hunter's howl, and instant enemy. patrons, I honestly did not know which one to take, so I chose the strength patron because of its abilities. feats, I have not made too much room for combat expertise and combat reflexes, but I should. TW defense is on the list for the ranger bonus feats, so it will be obtained.

when it comes to the feats, my current set is:
EWP (two bladed sword)
TWF
double slice
power attack
step up
imp TWF
WF (two bladed sword)
twin strike (home brew feat for TWF. hit with both blades when you move and strike)
TW rend
slayer's knack (human)
I can trade out whatever feats atm to help the situation

@Florian
while I would find that prestige class impressive, the only thing I am curious about it is that would the winter witch's race count toward that? the jadwiga. my character is irriseni and a jadwiga at that that swore himself to the winter witch in our party. if I can still obtain that prestige class, I will. it does seem to be most helpful. and while I would find the idea of switching to a reach weapon intriguing, I'm kind of sold on the fact that I have the two bladed sword atm. I know it takes a much needed feat from me, but still.

Florian
2016-03-21, 01:24 PM
If you look up the ISWG, People of the North and Humans of Golarion, youŽll find that "up north" pretty much everyone is of Ulfen stock or descent, including Irrisen.

Tuvarkz
2016-03-21, 03:09 PM
To note, if you'd like to play something akin to MMO tanking, the Warder from Path of War (3rd party from Dreamscarred Press) is the best option:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/warder

Sayt
2016-03-21, 04:29 PM
You're actually set up pretty well to do some damage, you just need a way to get pounce. I suggest asking for the 3.5 spell Lion's Charge, or pick up Dreamscarred Press's Martial training to grab the low level pounce maneuver from the primal fury school.

Otherwise, strength is a great patron for doing damage, getting great cleric buffs.

The other thing is, I assume you have one of your favored enemies capped at the maximum? Because that is the best way to get the best milage out of instant enemy.

Another thing to consider is going in to the Dragon Fury PRC, which will cost since feats but should dramatically help your damage.

Finally.... double weapons are terrible, they really just are, despite being awesome. They give an avareage of 1 damage over a statistical sample over a short and long sword for the cost of the feat. I'd talk to the gm about negotiating a buff to them, perhaps strength x1.5 abs 2h power attack If you have double slice? Otherwise I'd retraib the feat, despite huuuuge style points (which, unfortunately, doesn't transfer to mechanical strength)