PDA

View Full Version : Which MC is better f/rog Rng/rog

Ewhit
2016-03-19, 01:52 PM
if I'm wrong on something please state so othwise just let me know which is better in your opinion listed below

5 Lvl ranger hunter/5 Lvl Rogue assassin or

5th Lvl fighter battle master/ 5 Lvl rogue Assassin

Both get 1/turn sneak attack +3d6
If you have (advantage) or an ally is within 5ft of target
Assassinate: you have (advantage) on attacks on any creature that hasn't taken a turn in combat yet and any surprise hit is critical
Feat alertness +5 initiative plus Dex 18 +4 = +9 initiative almost always let you go first Giving you (advantage) under assissinate. Which also gives sneak attack (advantage)

5th Lvl ranger hunter/5th Lvl rogue assassin
Fighting style archery +2 hit
2 attacks
Colussus slayer extra 1d8 once per turn
Spell hunters Mark 1d6 and bonus action move it to new creature when original killed

Or 5th Lvl fighter battlemaster/5th Lvl rogue assassin
Fighting style archer +2 hit
2 attacks
4 maneuver dice 1d8 damage
Manouvers Which probably are precision, menacing goading

EvilAnagram
2016-03-19, 02:33 PM
This is tough. They're both solid classes that boost your average damage quite a bit. One thing I might recommend is taking levels in Arcane Trickster over Assassin if you go with a Ranger, since it will increase your spell slots a bit.

Generally, I think you'll get more damage from Hunter's Mark and Hail of Thorns than from your maneuvers.

joaber
2016-03-19, 02:54 PM
for archer I would go with horder breaker instead of colossus slayer.

do you pretend to get sharpshooter later?

fighter 12/ranger3/rogue 5 would be a great combination in that case.

forgetting ranger and getting 3 lvls of warlock too, short rest hex, devil's sight, darkness, armor of agathys, temp HP, invisible familiar, silent image at will.

fighter 11/ranger 3/rogue 3/warlock 3 - but in that case you only get 3 ASI/feats and need Wis and Cha 13, maybe to MAD for point buy.

action surge with assassinate is awesome

bid
2016-03-19, 05:17 PM
5th Lvl fighter battle master/ 5 Lvl rogue Assassin
Only because you can surge while assassinate is up. Otherwise pick another rogue archetype.

Think of it this way: assassin 3rd is a weak version of action surge.

Mors
2016-03-19, 07:04 PM
Rogue asassin 3 / bm fighter 7 is superior. Action surge + assasinate + bm maneuvers plus extra attack and working towards your third attack.

If you go for more than 3 lvls of rogue, go arcane trickster all the way and do not bother with fighter, you will use bb + sneak attack for your main source of damage and you will have spellcasting on top of that. Alternatively go with Swashbuckler and take magic initiate for the scag cantrips and Hex.

Rogue asassin 3 / fighter 2 / hunter ranger 5 also works if you start the game at 10 lvl because you will have assasinate + action surge + colossus slayer plus extra attack, and some spellcasting (hunter's mark mainly) on top of that.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-19, 07:14 PM
Hunter's Mark and a firm sneak attack are very tasty.

Sir Pippin Boyd
2016-03-19, 08:09 PM
I'd go with the Battlemaster/Assassin but I might be just slightly biased (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20561973&postcount=23).

djreynolds
2016-03-20, 02:27 AM
The fighter scout archetype from the UA is awesome. See if you can play this

But you need to max your dexterity which will cost 2 ASI if you begin with a 16 or 17. And you need sharpshooter, another asi/feat.

6 Fighter/ 4 rogue can do this by 10th level just dex and con to worry about

8 Ranger/ 4 rogue can do this by 12th level now dex, con and wis to worry about

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-20, 03:28 AM
Go for hunter

Horde breaker instead of collosus slayer. You can get up to 4 attacks a turn with crossbow expert. The fighter just 5 1/rest

djreynolds
2016-03-20, 04:19 AM
The scout archetype gives you 3 extra skills, precision, an improved parry maneuver, and skills maneuver. All of which can be used in melee and ranged. And you get 2ASI for 6 levels.

Battlemaster is just as good.

Precision is what you want for an assassin, making sure all of that work to obtain surprise pays off, 1d6 to 1d8 will improve those chances. Maxing dexterity sooner will also help this increasing stealth and to hit.

Rangers are awesome.

But you are making an assassin, and the "Death Dealer's Handbook" in the GITP guides section is where it is at, and IMO precision is the key.

But unless you start at level 10 or 12, your build should start with ranger or fighter for now until you have at least 2 attacks and then progress rogue. I recommend fighter only because of he get's an ASI at 4 and 6, fighters and ranger can get stealth early on with class skills or backgrounds, and then you can pile up the rogue levels and sneak attack. Hunter's mark is nice, but every level rogue missed is 1d6 of sneak attack. The extra attack is really just insurance so you land that nasty auto-crit, and crit all of those sneak attacks. Archery style helps, ranger's spell with help with stealth but he must wait to 8th level for another ASI.

So what level are you starting at, and are you rolling or using the 27 point buy in?

Datalore
2016-03-20, 10:12 PM
I say Battlemaster/Mastermind. That way you have ranged manuevers and a ranged help bonus action.