PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How could this be used?

Shnigda
2016-03-19, 02:31 PM
Hey guys, my DM has just said that he is allowing a dexterity equivalent of Power Attack. I'm not quite sure how useful this would be because damage on two-handed weapons is still STR dependent, so boosting DEX instead of STR could lower damage... (in my mind at least)
In what build would this feat be viable?

(Also, the feat can be used in place of Power Attack for prerequisites and whatnot...)

Pyromancer999
2016-03-19, 03:13 PM
Seems like it'd work well with any Dex-based combat build, just like normal Power Attack works well for any Strength-based combat build. To clarify, it simply has Dex 13 as the prerequisite instead of Strength 13, right?

Shnigda
2016-03-19, 03:14 PM
Seems like it'd work well with any Dex-based combat build, just like normal Power Attack works well for any Strength-based combat build. To clarify, it simply has Dex 13 as the prerequisite instead of Strength 13, right?

Oh ok, I'm not particularly well-versed in Dex-based combat builds, how would that work?

Yes, exactly, 13 Dex as the prerequisite.

Necroticplague
2016-03-19, 03:48 PM
1. DEX is overall a more useful stat than STR, if it wasn't for being the base for both accuracy and damage of melee attacks.
2. It's possible to get DEX and STR to damage for melee (shadow blade+weapon finesse (or feycraft weapon). This feat would be very good for those builds.
3. TWF has high DEX prerequisites, so this would synergize well with it. Combined with the above would be a nice build.

Troacctid
2016-03-19, 03:55 PM
Power Attack does not work on light weapons, so it would only be useful if you were using natural weapons, or a rapier, whip, spiked chain, or other non-light weapon for which Weapon Finesse applies. Since you only get the 2:1 ratio on two-handed weapons, it's basically only going to be worth using with a spiked chain.

Shnigda
2016-03-19, 08:12 PM
So what level of strength would you recommend? Does it become a dump stat if using a spiked chain?

(Also, an 8 level build would be much appreciated if possible! :) 32 point buy)

Troacctid
2016-03-19, 08:30 PM
I'd try to buy up to 14, since diminishing returns kick in after that. You can't dump it or you'll get a damage penalty, and in fact you still want it as high as possible so you deal more damage.

"But Troacctid, with 14 Strength, I would just qualify for Power Attack regardless!" Well, yeah. The way Power Attack is designed, it's not actually good for finesse builds. If you need it, but can't meet the prerequisite, it's almost always because a. you got your Strength reduced somehow, or b. you only need it for a prerequisite of some sort, not as part of your actual combat strategy.

If you have 14 Strength and 20 Dexterity, it is still an advantage for Power Attack to have Dex as a prerequisite instead of Strength, because it means you don't lose it if you get hit by a random Ray of Enfeeblement. But for the most part, a Dex-based build simply doesn't want Power Attack in the first place.