PDA

View Full Version : Critical Hits and Sneak Attacks

Chester
2016-03-19, 04:02 PM
Question:

My Warforged Juggernaut is no longer subject to extra damage from critical hits. Does this mean he's also no longer subject to sneak attacks?

ksbsnowowl
2016-03-19, 04:06 PM
Sneak Attack
If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a rogue can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty.

A rogue can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. ... There is your answer.

Keltest
2016-03-19, 04:06 PM
Yes. Pretty sure that's explicitly part of sneak attack

PallentisLunam
2016-03-19, 10:44 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, he is no longer subject to precision damage of any kind.

Telonius
2016-03-19, 11:13 PM
Do note that there are specific exceptions - things like Demolition Crystals.

Petrukio
2016-03-20, 02:16 PM
My Warforged Juggernaut is no longer subject to extra damage from critical hits. Does this mean he's also no longer subject to sneak attacks?

It's mostly a DM judgment call, but please note the way the text is written. Warforged Juggernauts of 2nd level or higher are "no longer subject to extra damage from critical hits." This is not the same thing as saying they are immune to crits. It's an important distinction, especially since Construct Perfection II, which they get at 3rd level does say they are immune to all mind-affecting spells and abilities.

Long story short? In my games, at least, yes, they are still subject to sneak attack. But you need to ask your DM how the way the text is written applies to precision damage. Also, you should ask whether Burst weapons, which do elemental damage on a crit are subject to this.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-20, 02:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that is addressed somewhere... AFB at the moment but I thought that elemental burst weapons still triggered on a crit even against creatures normally immune and since the extra damage is not precision it was still inflicted.

Diarmuid
2016-03-20, 03:02 PM
I'm pretty sure that is addressed somewhere... AFB at the moment but I thought that elemental burst weapons still triggered on a crit even against creatures normally immune and since the extra damage is not precision it was still inflicted.

Burst weapons do indeed trigger even on targets immune to crits.

zergling.exe
2016-03-21, 01:07 AM
Burst weapons do indeed trigger even on targets immune to crits.

I believe that it goes even so far as only precision damage is shut down on targets immune to crits.

Florian
2016-03-21, 03:08 AM
Question:

Your Warforged is not immune to critical hits per se, he just doesn´t receive extra damage from a confirmed critical hit.