PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Two Warlords, Two different classes: which is better (3rd party blues)

Milenkov
2016-03-19, 07:50 PM
Hello!

Been perusing the 3rd party resources on the PF SRD, when I came across these two (Shoot, can't post links...):

Warlord (Dreamscarred Press)
Warlord (Adamant Entertainment)

Adamant's seems pretty cool (if pretty broken, at least from a first glance), but I was hoping some seasoned PF players can give their opinion between the two?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses! :3

Morcleon
2016-03-19, 07:57 PM
Dreamscarred Press' Warlord is pretty solidly better than Adamant Entertainment's in basically every way. Many of the AE Warlord's bonuses are also given by the DSP Warlord, and the latter also has a full array of maneuvers and stances to use, as well as more general bonuses and teamwork feat sharing.

Milenkov
2016-03-19, 09:33 PM
Dreamscarred Press' Warlord is pretty solidly better than Adamant Entertainment's in basically every way. Many of the AE Warlord's bonuses are also given by the DSP Warlord, and the latter also has a full array of maneuvers and stances to use, as well as more general bonuses and teamwork feat sharing.
I see, thank you! I guess while I have this here, a small addendum: would I benefit more (as a support-ish frontliner) to be Cavalier or DSP Warlord?

Morcleon
2016-03-19, 10:06 PM
I see, thank you! I guess while I have this here, a small addendum: would I benefit more (as a support-ish frontliner) to be Cavalier or DSP Warlord?

DSP Warlord. Not only does it simulate many (if not all) of the Cavalier's abilities, they also get maneuvers and no restrictions from either Order or having to be mounted.

Honestly, DSP's Stalker, Warder, and Warlord (and Harbinger, Mystic, and Zealot if you're using the Expanded version) easily eclipse most Paizo and other 3PP martial classes unless you're going for a specific concept that those six classes don't cover.

Tuvarkz
2016-03-20, 03:12 AM
DSP Warlord. Not only does it simulate many (if not all) of the Cavalier's abilities, they also get maneuvers and no restrictions from either Order or having to be mounted.

Honestly, DSP's Stalker, Warder, and Warlord (and Harbinger, Mystic, and Zealot if you're using the Expanded version) easily eclipse most Paizo and other 3PP martial classes unless you're going for a specific concept that those six classes don't cover.

And to note, this is not a design flaw of DSP. Paizo's martials just happen to range from outright terrible to merely acceptable.

MilleniaAntares
2016-03-20, 09:44 PM
Their latest book, Path of War: Expanded, even has the Hussar template for the warlord, which makes it a mounted leader type class.

Morcleon
2016-03-20, 09:47 PM
And to note, this is not a design flaw of DSP. Paizo's martials just happen to range from outright terrible to merely acceptable.

Yeah, DSP got basically everything right except for letting you switch your initiating ability score with a trait or something. :smalltongue:

UrsusArctos
2016-03-20, 10:16 PM
DSP Path of War, is, basically, fixed martials. They come from a design point of "Martials are horrible. We have the technology, we can rebuild them."

The Adamant Warlord comes from the perspective of "Let's make a martial that is in line with the other martials of the game."

So, just on that alone, the DSP Warlord is going to trump the Adamant Warlord.

Manyasone
2016-04-01, 11:41 AM

Which is also a remnant from WotC's 3.5 edition

Ualaa
2016-04-02, 07:53 AM
The Path of War stuff is balanced well. The classes are competent at what they do, without being broken or over the top... although if everyone else is playing a base/core melee like a Fighter or a Rogue, then the Path of War classes will seem rather powerful.

As an aside, I also like Ultimate Psionics and Akashic Mysteries (both also by DSP).

charcoalninja
2016-04-02, 08:15 AM
DSP is just amazing. Nuff said.