PDA

View Full Version : Grenade rules

Yuki Akuma
2016-03-19, 08:36 PM
I want to introduce some grenade-like items in my campaign to hopefully make combat more interesting and engaging, as well as to potentially give some of the melee-focused characters some sort of ranged utility. For the life of me, though, I can't find any rules for grenade weapons in 5e at all. Are there any? If not, what would a reasonable houserule for targeting them and so forth be?

wunderkid
2016-03-19, 08:40 PM
I'd run them as an 10ft aoe effect that does say 3d6 reflex dc15 for half.

Or 10ft aoe dc15 or be knocked prone, blinded for concussion/flashbang

lebefrei
2016-03-19, 08:52 PM
Page 268 DMG

Yuki Akuma
2016-03-19, 08:58 PM
..Huh, there they are. So the rules for targeting a grenade are "pick a spot, don't roll to hit because apparently you suddenly become a master thrower when tossing a grenade".

Okay.

lebefrei
2016-03-19, 09:07 PM
None of the modern equipment is well balanced. I assume we will eventually get a "5e Modern" or whatever, as they released a Modern Magic UA.

As far as the damage and accuracy goes though, it seems to be more balanced against fireball type spells than against ranged attacks.

Thrudd
2016-03-19, 09:14 PM
Traditionally, grenade rules use some sort of scatter mechanic. You target a space or a creature, and roll to hit. Success means it hits the target space or creature, and splashes/explodes from that spot. Failure means it scatters in a random direction off the target a random number of feet/squares. A d8 is good for this, each number indicating one of the squares surrounding the target. If using hexes, use a d6. The distance of the scatter should be determined by another roll, maybe a d4 5 ft squares in the direction indicated. Anything that explodes or splashes could be treated this way.

Knaight
2016-03-19, 10:20 PM
..Huh, there they are. So the rules for targeting a grenade are "pick a spot, don't roll to hit because apparently you suddenly become a master thrower when tossing a grenade".

Okay.

Hitting a 5' x 5' patch of ground is really not that difficult, and unlike most cases you're not dealing with active defenses, because you don't need to get past shields, weapon blocks, dodging, and all those other things that get rolled into AC.

indemnity
2016-03-19, 10:30 PM
...potentially give some of the melee-focused characters some sort of ranged utility....

* Don't upset the ranged characters by making them redundant.
* Don't upset the magic users by giving the fighters portable cheap spells.
* Don't make the grenades better than using melee combat

Why not simply one action to remove shield, then on second turn draw a longbow (range 150/600) and fire?

Also, there are a few sort-of-grenades in the PHB for comparison. Easy to re-flavour and not game breaking.
Acid (25 gp, improvised weapon, thrown, range 20/40, 2d6 acid damage)
Alchemist's Fire (50 gp, improvised weapon, thrown, range 20/40, 1d4 fire damage at the start of the targets turn, save DC10 DEX to extinguish)
Holy Water (25 gp, improvised weapon, thrown, range 20/40, 2d6 radiant damage)
Oil flask (1 sp, improvised weapon, thrown, 20/40, extra 5 fire damage if hit with a fire spell for 1 minute, or oil covers a 5 foot area and if lit deals 5 fire damage to any creature that enters)
Perfume, vial (5 gp, improvised weapon, thrown, 20/40, target has disadvantage on next attack roll)
Poison, basic (100 gp to coat 3 pieces of ammunition, save DC10 CON or 1d4 poison damage at the start of its turn for 1 minute)

Foxhound438
2016-03-20, 04:34 AM

Okay.

you should play xcom, lol. the crazy throws you can make, bounce off this window sill and into the trash can that guy's hiding behind