PDA

View Full Version : CK2: Dynastic problems

MonkeySage
2016-03-20, 04:19 AM
My son autonomously married a chaste nobody while he was out of my control, and as a result the two of them have very few children... All three of them are girls. Nobody important wants to marry my heir matrilineally; I even tried betrothing her to some kid I picked at random and granted a county to.

So I can either marry her matrilineally to a courtier with no title (incurring massive penalties for doing so), or let my dynasty die.

Currently, my character is the King of Wales...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2016-03-20, 06:50 AM
Get the matrimonial marriage for backup, become the son, and see if you can divorce her. Butter up your religious head as much as you can.

Flickerdart
2016-03-20, 05:12 PM
All you lose for wedding a courtier is a bunch of Prestige, which is easy to recover, especially for a King.

Crow
2016-03-20, 05:16 PM
Matrilineal marriage is fine. If you wait until she matures, you can invite a claimant to your court and matri-marry the claimant and then press the claim. Then your offspring can inherit both titles.

Teln
2016-03-20, 05:17 PM
My son autonomously married a chaste nobody while he was out of my control, and as a result the two of them have very few children... All three of them are girls. Nobody important wants to marry my heir matrilineally; I even tried betrothing her to some kid I picked at random and granted a county to.

So I can either marry her matrilineally to a courtier with no title (incurring massive penalties for doing so), or let my dynasty die.

Currently, my character is the King of Wales...

In the future, don't give your heir a title no matter how much he begs. Single best way to avoid this kind of thing. For now, you've got no choice but to eat the prestige hit and matri-marry the best nobody you can find. Absolute worst case, you lose a couple opinion points and that 120% strength faction sends you an ultimatum. Staring civil war in the face is much, much better than risking your dynasty becoming unlanded. If there's no factions brewing, don't sweat it.

Grif
2016-03-20, 10:32 PM
In the future, don't give your heir a title no matter how much he begs. Single best way to avoid this kind of thing. For now, you've got no choice but to eat the prestige hit and matri-marry the best nobody you can find. Absolute worst case, you lose a couple opinion points and that 120% strength faction sends you an ultimatum. Staring civil war in the face is much, much better than risking your dynasty becoming unlanded. If there's no factions brewing, don't sweat it.

Or the second best way is to marry your heir properly before giving him any sort of titles. That way you only risk him marrying a nobody if your chosen wife dies, which can and will happen occasionally. (So sickly gals? Best not risk it especially in a small dynasty.)

MonkeySage
2016-03-21, 12:37 AM
Well, after 4 daughters and 2 wives, I finally got a son... and my wife promptly died in childbirth. Now I'm wondering if I'm too old to raise the boy, but now he's betrothed to the third princess of byzantium. ^_^

Sharoth
2016-03-21, 05:00 AM
I eventually need to get around to playing CK II sometime or another. I know I will enjoy it, once I get to it.

The Great Wyrm
2016-03-21, 02:05 PM
I recently had two of my grandsons assassinated to avoid succession trouble. CK2 is the best!

MonkeySage
2016-03-21, 04:32 PM
Update with full story:

Cadw, my first character, betrothed his heir, Bran, to younger Queen of Hwicce. This I saw as an opportunity to gain Hwicce non violently. Little did I realize, Bran's heir Cadw II would fall out of my control until Bran himself died. Cadw II had plenty of time to get married before Bran kicked the bucket. When Cadw II came to power, he was already married to the aforementioned chaste nobody.

Turns out, chasity wasn't the only problem; eventually, Cadw IIs wife would become incapable before outliving her days of fertility, and left me with only three kids, all daughters. While I was preparing my oldest daughter for the throne, Cadw II's first wife finally succumbed, giving me the opportunity to remarry.

At this point, Cadw II is already in his late 40s, it doesn't look good. So he remarries, this time to a 19 year old West Francian princess. Their first child is a daughter. Their second child is a sickly son; she dies giving birth to him. I figure my son is going to die in infancy, so I remarry yet again, this time to the Queen of York. But my son doesn't die, and now I've got a non aggression alliance with the Queen of York because I'm married to her and have a child with her.... Her heir is of my dynasty, but she's not my heir.

Looks like Britannia will have to wait; I've taken half of Ireland and the southern half of England, and I've got my gaze fixed on Pictland, but the Petty Kingdom of York covers the entire northern half of England, plus some Irish territory.

Silver lining: One son means no land-hungry brothers!