View Full Version : Enchantments for a level 70 character's items

weet555
2016-03-20, 04:42 AM
So I'm dm and I am making a level 70 character as a big villain. The question I have is if the character's weapon, shield and armor each have a total enchantment of +35. +17 for straight bonus and +17 for special abilities, with a +1 to go ether way.

The characters items are (before enchantment): an armor with AC +0, max dex bonus -, armor check penalty 0, arcane spell failure chance 0%. (I know bracers of armor are better)
A shield that acts like a bucker with AC +0, max dex bonus -, a.c.p 0, a.s.f.c 0%.
And finally a rapier damage 1d6, critical 18-20*2, range -.
The question is this what enchantments should be placed on each item? I with be placing defending on the rapier all ready.
Btw the character is a paragon.

2016-03-20, 05:48 AM
...I'm not really sure I'm qualified to answer this. On the one hand, there's a lot of really cool armor and weapon enchantments; on the other hand, with a weapon that heavily enchanted, I just couldn't justify getting the effect as a weapon enhancement (as opposed to a continuous spell, such as getting continuous "Keen Edge" instead of the Keen weapon enhancement). It's soooooo comparatively expensive to enchant epic weapons, especially if you're not reducing the cost somehow (like by crafting), and especially because maintaining weapons and armor into epic is almost pointless outside WotC-level char-op games, which I have never, not once in my life, played at in 3.5 (5e, sure, but that's what's great about 5e).

It doesn't help that literally the only thing we know about this dude is that he wears some kind of armor, employs some kind of shield, and uses a rapier somehow for some reason. Without having a better idea of what the character is supposed to be capable of, we can't really say "well such and such enchantment will make you better at the thing you want to be good at", because we have to know the thing before we can tell you such and such.

My best suggestion would be to just start looking through the DMG and the MIC for things that catch your eye; after that, ask the forum about useful enchantments that exist outside of those two sources, and you should find a good selection of things that fit the character. Beyond that...the only advice I could give you is to just do the same thing, but don't bother weeding out things you can't afford; you're the DM, he's the main villain, just handwave the gp cost.

Esprit15
2016-03-20, 05:49 AM
At level 70? It depends on the game, if Epic Spells are in play. At this point, the rules have shattered into splinters. I suppose immunity to criticals, Soulfire (basically immunity to ability damage and death effects), and immunity to all elements (including sonic and force) are all obvious, but it's good to cover the basics. Ways to avoid disjunction and its ilk are all important, too.

Eldan
2016-03-20, 06:00 AM
At level 70? Honestly, the answer is "all of them". At that level, you should probably hvae enough wealth, even on an NPC, to buy entire books worth and stack them.

2016-03-20, 06:06 AM
At level 70? Honestly, the answer is "all of them". At that level, you should probably hvae enough wealth, even on an NPC, to buy entire books worth and stack them.

+35 on all of these is a decent amount to spend for a lvl 70 character, or is at least vaguely on track with how epic WBL advances...assuming they aren't making their own items, or cheating with uncapped Greater Magic Weapon, or using the wide variety of methods of getting effectively (or literally) infinite cash.

Melcar
2016-03-20, 06:55 AM
So I'm dm and I am making a level 70 character as a big villain. The question I have is if the character's weapon, shield and armor each have a total enchantment of +35. +17 for straight bonus and +17 for special abilities, with a +1 to go ether way.

The characters items are (before enchantment): an armor with AC +0, max dex bonus -, armor check penalty 0, arcane spell failure chance 0%. (I know bracers of armor are better)
A shield that acts like a bucker with AC +0, max dex bonus -, a.c.p 0, a.s.f.c 0%.
And finally a rapier damage 1d6, critical 18-20*2, range -.
The question is this what enchantments should be placed on each item? I with be placing defending on the rapier all ready.
Btw the character is a paragon.

I would look at what fits the concept of the character. Is he/she some form of powerful good guy, then apply Holy Power and just what seems cool. You can also, at this level create your own. Sorry to not be of more help, but since you can apply pretty much all of them I would go with theme. Lets see. a +17, holy power, keen, collision, sonic blast and speed.